What happened to Wing Commander-like Games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abomonog

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2003
Try Freelancer. It's a very good game. Has a huge multiplayer universe that works like MMOG. And it's community is still going strong after 3 years.

Also has a single player component, but it's much more fun in the MP servers.

Need some hardware to play though.

thegreat1

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2006
WC: Prophecy was an excellent game.

Man, I still have Wing Commander Deluxe edition sitting on my desk lol.. It has Wing commander 1, 2, and the special ops package. Damn that was some good gaming..

I also have Wing Commander 4: The price of freedom. OMG , what an awesome game.

wing commnader 3: The Kilrathi Sega.

I loved Wing Commander. I wish Origin was still around making these games.

I cant wait until the make BattleStar Galactica into a Space simulator. (not the crappy Xbox version), like hard core space sim combat. *drools

could you imagine??? WIth todays systems... OMG launching out Galactica, with a whole bunch of flak supression from the battlestar covering your hiney, while you assualt a Cylon Basestar with a Starbuck on your wing, and a bunch of raptors relaying in cylon positions, and ship to ship missiles hitting the capital ships.. and.. and... wow. Ima a nerd.

GreyKnight

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
I'm a big Wing Commander fan too! I started with WC3 Heart of the Tiger and it just blew me away at the time. I actually enjoyed the interactive cutscene's almost more that the flying (and I got to snog Ginger Lynn Allen too!).

WC4 The Price of Freedom had an amazing story and even better cutscene's and then WC Prophecy just took graphics to a new level. I haven't played a game with such good space combat since (No, even X3 Reunion doesn't come close IMHO).

X3 is really the only space sim of merit out there at the moment, it's been refreshed slightly with a new free add-on pack called Bala Gi's Research Missions which adds some new ships and new missions, but the space combat is still a bit lacking in skill and intensity.

thegreat1

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2006
I'm a big Wing Commander fan too! I started with WC3 Heart of the Tiger and it just blew me away at the time. I actually enjoyed the interactive cutscene's almost more that the flying (and I got to snog Ginger Lynn Allen too!).

WC4 The Price of Freedom had an amazing story and even better cutscene's and then WC Prophecy just took graphics to a new level. I haven't played a game with such good space combat since (No, even X3 Reunion doesn't come close IMHO).

X3 is really the only space sim of merit out there at the moment, it's been refreshed slightly with a new free add-on pack called Bala Gi's Research Missions which adds some new ships and new missions, but the space combat is still a bit lacking in skill and intensity.

Those interactive cutscene were definately a HUGE bonus.. Its unfortunate that not too many game genres have followed suit.

hopefully CnC 3 will bring us back to those ol' days.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Freelancer was ok. It did get kinda boring after while.

WC: Prophecy was good, but that is even older.

The newest game in that genre I can think of is Freelancer, and that isn't that great and is 3 years old. I would love to play a game in the style of Privateer. That game was my favorite of all the old space sim games. I don't know why they don't make those any more. They are probably one of the easiest games to make and they run on nearly anything.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Freelancer was a lot of fun, but man, if you knew how to pilot that little newbie ship you could advance QUICKLY!

My friends and I can level up to Class 10 ships/equipment in less than 3 hours on a fresh server. While this has proven a fun distraction on a slow sunday afternoon, there is just no staying power.

Now the Mod scene for Freelancer went absolutely bonkers. There are pages and pages of mods listed for that game. Some of them quite fun, but again, no staying power. The game just gets old fast and is not challenging enough to really keep me interested in it long term.

Privateer 2 was a great game, but my Disc 1 was cracked during a move and I never sought to replace it, largely because I was stuck in the second to last plot battle and COULD NOT beat it. Even the strategy guide and gamefaqs for it indicate that beating that battle is 10% strategy and 90% pure luck. If not for that battle being so rediculous I would probably be more interested in playing it again. Though at this point... the graphics really aren't at all good anymore.

Cromex

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
What a pitty this post is so old....!!!

These games bring back such good memories, it almost feels like the industry took a step back when they stop making these!!

Gonna are the days of relevant FMV space games.

Status
Not open for further replies.