Sign in with
Your question

Server questions

Last response: in Business Computing
December 4, 2012 12:25:48 PM

I have a couple questions I would like to know before I attempt any changes.

1) If I promote my server to a domain controller how will that affect my file server?
2) If I promote my server to a domain controller and installed DHCP, what would happen if there was another domain controller already on the network?

Also is there a maximum range of IP addresses that a DHCP server can supply? like a start or end address.

Thank you

More about : server questions

December 4, 2012 12:34:04 PM

Are the DC and File Server separate machines?

The range of address your DHCP server uses will be the one you assign it. But you need to use private IPs such as 192.168.xxx.xxx or 10.xxx.xxx.xxx.

Is the second domain controller the same domain or different?
December 4, 2012 12:48:50 PM

Can you give me a better idea of the size and type of network environment you are dealing with?
Related resources
December 4, 2012 1:19:00 PM

It is the same machine for both questions one and two.
As for the maximum range of IP addresses that the DHCP can supply I would like to start with 192.168.1.5
December 4, 2012 1:34:41 PM

Is the file server already a domain member? If it is already a domain member, then promoting it to a DC should have no effect on the file shares.

That IP subnet will be fine.
December 4, 2012 1:42:16 PM

Yes it is already a member.
So for number one it will have no effect and for number two are you saying it will have no effect also?

The range of address would be 192.168.1.5 to 192.168.1.254 then?
December 4, 2012 1:47:17 PM

The only effect for number two is that you will then have two DCs, which is a good thing for redundancy.

That DHCP scope will be fine. Just make sure you leave out any static IPs that may be assigned to servers or clients.
December 4, 2012 1:51:13 PM

Ok thanks for your help in understanding what I was looking for. You wouldn't happen to know what the purpose of the forward and reverse DNS lookup zones are would you?
December 4, 2012 2:38:50 PM

Rag2012 said:
Ok thanks for your help in understanding what I was looking for. You wouldn't happen to know what the purpose of the forward and reverse DNS lookup zones are would you?

Forward/Reverse: IP to Name, Name to IP.

Reverse generally isn't needed for a basic AD domain. When you start adding in additional features and advanced products it will be required.
!