Icons on desktop

My desk top, like everyone else's has a number of shortcut icons. I am finding that these change for no apparent reason. For instance, many should be the true logo of the source eg Yahoo has its own distinctive badge and so do many others. What seems to happen, though, is that these icons change to the standard MS one - the small e and a document sheet and therefore are less distictive. Is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks in advance,

Hercules
10 answers Last reply
More about icons desktop

    Try right clicking a desktop Icon, and properties,
    click - change Icon, click the browse button, select the one you want.

    "Hercules" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My desk top, like everyone else's has a number of shortcut icons. I am
    finding that these change for no apparent reason. For instance, many should
    be the true logo of the source eg Yahoo has its own distinctive badge and so
    do many others. What seems to happen, though, is that these icons change to
    the standard MS one - the small e and a document sheet and therefore are
    less distictive. Is there anything I can do about this?

    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Hercules

    The icon associated with URLs (i.e. shortcuts to web sites) are different
    from icons for programs (which may be built into the executable or stored
    externally in the program directory). They are downloaded when you view a
    the Web page (if the Web site has created a file called favicon.ico) and
    stored with Temporary Internet Files. When you clear your tif cache, they
    are deleted so the shortcut reverts to the generic Internet Explorer icon.
    At one time I recall seeing a third party utility to preserve them (possibly
    from PC Mag), but there's no native mechanism in Windows to support this.
    --

    "Hercules" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My desk top, like everyone else's has a number of shortcut icons. I am
    finding that these change for no apparent reason. For instance, many should
    be the true logo of the source eg Yahoo has its own distinctive badge and so
    do many others. What seems to happen, though, is that these icons change to
    the standard MS one - the small e and a document sheet and therefore are
    less distictive. Is there anything I can do about this?

    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Hercules

    Yes there is. Stop cleaning out your temporary internet files. That is where
    the favicon.ico is located.

    Or, you could copy and rename the favicon.ico to another location and point
    to the icon in that location, as I do.

    --
    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Hercules" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My desk top, like everyone else's has a number of shortcut icons. I am
    finding that these change for no apparent reason. For instance, many should
    be the true logo of the source eg Yahoo has its own distinctive badge and so
    do many others. What seems to happen, though, is that these icons change to
    the standard MS one - the small e and a document sheet and therefore are
    less distictive. Is there anything I can do about this?

    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Hercules

    Go to the following link and scroll down to FavOrg. It will restore the
    favicons.

    HTH, JAX

    "Hercules" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My desk top, like everyone else's has a number of shortcut icons. I am
    finding that these change for no apparent reason. For instance, many should
    be the true logo of the source eg Yahoo has its own distinctive badge and so
    do many others. What seems to happen, though, is that these icons change to
    the standard MS one - the small e and a document sheet and therefore are
    less distictive. Is there anything I can do about this?

    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Hercules

    Oop's. I forgot to give the link.
    http://wittswallpapers.com/Oldies/indexoldies.html

    HTH, JAX

    "JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
    > Go to the following link and scroll down to FavOrg. It will restore the
    > favicons.
    >
    > HTH, JAX
    >
    > "Hercules" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My desk top, like everyone else's has a number of shortcut icons. I am
    > finding that these change for no apparent reason. For instance, many
    should
    > be the true logo of the source eg Yahoo has its own distinctive badge and
    so
    > do many others. What seems to happen, though, is that these icons change
    > the standard MS one - the small e and a document sheet and therefore are
    > less distictive. Is there anything I can do about this?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > >
    > > Hercules

    thanx for the site, JAX. one question tho, would this work for the
    shortcut icons as well????

    > Oop's. I forgot to give the link.
    > http://wittswallpapers.com/Oldies/indexoldies.html
    >
    > HTH, JAX
    >
    > "JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
    > > Go to the following link and scroll down to FavOrg. It will restore the
    > > favicons.
    > >
    > > HTH, JAX
    > >
    > > "Hercules" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > My desk top, like everyone else's has a number of shortcut icons. I
    am
    > > finding that these change for no apparent reason. For instance, many
    > should
    > > be the true logo of the source eg Yahoo has its own distinctive badge
    and
    > so
    > > do many others. What seems to happen, though, is that these icons change
    > > the standard MS one - the small e and a document sheet and therefore are
    > > less distictive. Is there anything I can do about this?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance,
    > > >
    > > > Hercules

    Hi Lois,

    If you are asking about shortcuts to favorites you have placed on the
    desktop, I assume it will. I don't use desktop icons so I can't say for
    sure. Since I use FavOrg, all of my favorites already have the favacons so
    it would not prove anything if I were to send one to the desktop to see.

    LOL, JAX

    "Lois" <msterse@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > thanx for the site, JAX. one question tho, would this work for the
    > shortcut icons as well????
    >

    > "JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
    > > Oop's. I forgot to give the link.
    > > http://wittswallpapers.com/Oldies/indexoldies.html
    > >
    > > HTH, JAX
    > >
    > > "JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
    > > > Go to the following link and scroll down to FavOrg. It will restore
    the
    > > > favicons.
    > > >
    > > > HTH, JAX
    > > >
    > > > "Hercules" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > am
    > > > finding that these change for no apparent reason. For instance, many
    > > should
    > > > be the true logo of the source eg Yahoo has its own distinctive badge
    > and
    > > so
    > > > do many others. What seems to happen, though, is that these icons
    change
    > > > the standard MS one - the small e and a document sheet and therefore
    are
    > > > less distictive. Is there anything I can do about this?

    actually they are the shortcuts i have put directly on my desktop, and not
    in my favorites... (is this not what "Hercules" was refering to) that the
    website was not in both places... so maybe i'll just put them all into my
    fav so i don't have to look at the MS "e" staring back at me... thanx
    again...

    > Hi Lois,
    >
    > If you are asking about shortcuts to favorites you have placed on the
    > desktop, I assume it will. I don't use desktop icons so I can't say for
    > sure. Since I use FavOrg, all of my favorites already have the favacons so
    > it would not prove anything if I were to send one to the desktop to see.
    >
    > LOL, JAX
    >
    > "Lois" <msterse@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > > thanx for the site, JAX. one question tho, would this work for the
    > > shortcut icons as well????
    > >

    > > "JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
    > > > Oop's. I forgot to give the link.
    > > > http://wittswallpapers.com/Oldies/indexoldies.html
    > > >
    > > > HTH, JAX
    > > >
    > > > "JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
    > the

    > > am
    > > > should
    > > and
    > > > so
    > change
    > are

    Hi Lois,

    Download and install FavOrg and give it a try, it won't hurt anything. If
    you don't like it, or it doesn't do what you want, just uninstall it.

    > actually they are the shortcuts i have put directly on my desktop, and not
    > in my favorites... (is this not what "Hercules" was refering to) that the
    > website was not in both places... so maybe i'll just put them all into my
    > fav so i don't have to look at the MS "e" staring back at me... thanx
    > again...
    >
    > "JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
    > > Hi Lois,
    > >
    > > If you are asking about shortcuts to favorites you have placed on the
    > > desktop, I assume it will. I don't use desktop icons so I can't say for
    > > sure. Since I use FavOrg, all of my favorites already have the favacons
    so
    > > it would not prove anything if I were to send one to the desktop to see.
    > >
    > > LOL, JAX
    > >
    > > "Lois" <msterse@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > > > thanx for the site, JAX. one question tho, would this work for the
    > > > shortcut icons as well????
    > > >

    > > > "JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message

    > > the

    > > > am
    > badge
    > > > and
    > > change
    > > are

    Thanks everyone for your interest. As you said, Jax, Favorg.zip worked.
    Regards,

Desktops Microsoft Icons Windows XP