Specs. for New System- MB Concerns.

datajunkie

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2002
Hi gang!
Ok, this is my first ground up system build and I need you guys/ladies opinions.......My biggest concern has been the MOTHERBOARD! Very mixed reviews around the net (GA-7VRXP debacle). First I'll give a background on the applications I will use this computer for. I intend to use this computer for primarily High-End gaming(FPS) and Video Editing (IEEE-1394 sig-in and editing, VCD/SVCD burning/ripping, WinRAR files). I will be unlocking CPU and OCing CPU and GPU after awhile. Will do RAID later also when I have more dough. BTW, I do CAD alot so that why I want 1 gig of RAM. All items retail unless noted.

Here is what I'm considering, your opinions are appreciated.

Case/PSU: Antec Performance Plus 1080 with 430W true PSU
MB: Asus A7V333
CPU: Athlon XP 1800 OEM
HSF: Cooler Master HHC-001 pure copper HS w/fan
RAM: 1GB Samsung PC2700 CAS 2.5 (not overclocked PC2100)
GPU: Gainward GF4 Ti4200 128MB DDR "Golden Sample"
HDD: WD800JB (80GB ATA100 7200rpm w/8MB cache) OEM
FDD: Sony OEM
CDRW: Lite-ON 48/12/48
DVD: Lite-On 16x
NIC: D-Link DFE-530TX

I can get all of this for ~$1300 from newegg.com.
My biggest quesion mark is the MB, however I would love input on the RAM, GPU, HSF as well. Im also new to OCing, so I want a good STABLE MB that has a good user interface for overclockers. Many Thanks in Advance.

datajunkie

Show me the Data. No ticket, No laundry!

GoLarge

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2002
i have the same Mobo, processor, video card and hard drive and I haven't had any of the reported 7VRXP problems. However, if your going to unlock the processor then the 7VRXP is not the best for overclocking because you have to set the multiplier via jumpers on the board instead of through the bios. It should be ok for just FSB overclocking. My rig has been problem free and stable and my gainward ti4200 GS overclocks really well.

"A very popular error: having the courage of one's convictions" - Nietzsche

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
IMO The only possible problem I see is the Gf4 and WinXP. There's a rumor going around as soon as you install the video drivers the OS will become unstable. Your world may get turned up side down, do you feel lucky?

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?