Bizarre Dial-up password problem

My problem is on XP Pro, Sp2.

Every time I go via IE Tools - Internet Options - Connections to check on
the settings for my dial-up account, I find that is has changed my ISP
password field to some 16 character entry. So, whatever I put in there, if I
close the dialog, and re-open it, it will have changed it to this 16 digit
thing. BUT, if I leave the field blank, it stays blank. Result is that if I
try to put my own ISP password in there, it is always wrong when I try to
dial-up from IE or OE.

Does anybody know what is going on here??

Thanks!
Pascal.
1 answer Last reply
More about bizarre dial password problem

    For security purposes, Windows XP will encrypt and change the
    length of a password. The password you entered is correct even
    though it appears the length has changed. This helps prevent a
    potential hacker from guessing the length of a password.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "Pascal Herczog" <dummy@btinternet.com> wrote in message:

    | My problem is on XP Pro, Sp2.
    |
    | Every time I go via IE Tools - Internet Options - Connections to check on
    | the settings for my dial-up account, I find that is has changed my ISP
    | password field to some 16 character entry. So, whatever I put in there, if I
    | close the dialog, and re-open it, it will have changed it to this 16 digit
    | thing. BUT, if I leave the field blank, it stays blank. Result is that if I
    | try to put my own ISP password in there, it is always wrong when I try to
    | dial-up from IE or OE.
    |
    | Does anybody know what is going on here??
    |
    | Thanks!
    | Pascal.

Internet Explorer Internet Service Providers Dial Up Connection Windows XP