My battle with Relic.

Abomonog

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2003
Everyone I'm sure has heard of Comapny of Heroes by now.

What they haven't heard is that since release the game has been hardlocking about 30% of all the computers it is installed on. About 80% of these computers are A64 systems. Relics fan base is no bunch of slouches about computers, but Relic is insisting that a full 30% of users have broken hardware that is causing this issue.

Even on machines the run the game, Company of Heroes allocates memory in an "interesting" fashon with the peak allocation happening at start and memory usage falling off sharply as the game is played. The game also slows down as each successive level is loaded.

I think the main problem is the shift of the memory controller onto the A64 CPU in combination with a normally innocious bad memory call the game is having.

My machine also has this problem and a 7-day burn in test with the CPU (A64 3000+) OCed to 2.4 gig and the memory bus (ddr3200) OCed to 433mhz came out perfectly error free.

Relic is now claiming that CoH will not run on less than 2 gigs despite the spec sheet for the game saying 512 megs.

My question is: Who's argument hold more water? Mine or Relic? Does CoH have a memory issue or are there really that many bad comps out there.

P.S. Relic has stated underclocking stock memory speeds and removing memory chips as fixes to this situation (only works half the time). My reply is that in no case underclocking memory or removing chips is a valid fix.

Any input here?