steam is annoying

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
anybody else think so...?
being a dial up user, i think that it is very unfair not to be able to play a game offline whenever you want to (especially when new updates are available)
e.g: i've been trying to play the game for FOUR HOURS and have been unable to do so. i'm going to have to download the update tommorow which is really ticking me off.
i honestly regret buying an original game (usually i regret buying counterfeit games) as i usually feel this or that game is worth having, but being @ssholes like this, i doubt i'll ever buy an original valve (or steam-requiring) game again... screw valve.

Ara

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
OMG, sorry about that guys, i was just really ticked off... running the update now... downloading at a whopping 3.2 kb/s
i wish they would tell you the actual file size of the download!

Ara

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I'd have to disagree. I feel sorry for you having to use dial-up, I can imagine how frustrating that would be. However, the majority of internet gamers have high speed internet these days. It is unfortunate that those who do not are punished, but in all fairness this is the most secure and effective way for a company to protect their copyrighted software I have yet seen.

Second, I LOVE that steam will always download the latest patches for me, without me trying to join servers and finding im out of date, then trying to find somewhere to download the patch on the internet.

Also, once you have a steam account, you can throw away all your cds for the game if you want. all you have to do is install steam, login, and you can download and install every game you have purchased thus far. That is slick. Again, this would be no benefit for a dial-up user, but is a huge bonus for those of us with high speed.

Finally, I love how many games are available on Steam. Some smaller independent gaming companies now can have a platform for game distribution, giving all of us more options and more indy developers a chance to get out there. I just wish the games were offered at a discounted price if you download them instead of buy them at retail, but I guess the big box stores (and EA Games, etc) would have a fit if they did that. At least the add-ons and official mods are cheap.

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
to be honest, after getting over my initial fit of rage (and finishing episode one (kick ass game, have some thoughts about it but will not discuss here)), i find the steam system (looks) to be better then i thought, since i can't really use it, i don't know yet, but i wouldn't mind starting to try

i admit i was quick to criticize, but i see now that steam is good for copyright protection and is the reason i couldn't find a counterfeit copy of episode one.

Ara

PS: i'm not on dial-up because i want to be, i ordered DSL 6 months ago but apparently my area is full so i can't be hooked up (don't know till when though...)

MadatSteam

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I am completely in agreeance with you, I've had FEAR 2 in my possession since last week and still can't' play the damn thing!! Dialup user as well and there are NO WARNINGS on the box. I can understand going to their site and putting in the registration code or something, understandable, but it was telling me it was a 13 HOUR DOWNLOAD for crying out loud!! there are two disks with the game, that should have been enough!! So I finally find someone with high speed wi-fi and it still says over 3 HOURS download!!! WTF !!!!!!!!!

I am hating steam, no joke..this happened to be before with half life and portal (which I loved) but hate hate hate steam. I don't remember doing this with FEAR 1 .... anyway, its an Unfair rip off stupid setup that only morons could have created.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I'm glad to see companies starting to overlook dialup or non-online customers. Games shouldn't be hindered by develop considerations for people who are far behind the times. It's like with the whole TV digital transition thing and the people who just won't get off analog. At some point some people just need to be left behind.

Pershing121

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008

How do you know this is true? According to studies most people still have dialup or no internet. Meaning there are more ppl with broadband that have internet but when compared to both those without internet and dialup put together its less. YOu guys are privileged. You are part of the haves not the have nots, that ppl in slums and inncer cities are a part of.