A7V333 XP 2000+ lock-up

Soggorathma

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2002
I finally decided to cross the border from the Intel to the AMD world last week and bought a brand new A7V333 + Athlon 2000+ XP and 512MB DDR333 2700.

As I finished putting the system together, I turned it on... only to see a cloud of smoke rising from it !!! Of course, it wouldn't boot (blank screen) and I was getting a "System failed CPU test" error message.

Returning it to the reseller, he told me I burned the CPU by not correctly assembling the heatsink+fan (Volcano 7+) to it.

Ok, it hurts, but I said to myself, "beginners' lesson".

Anyway, my reseller offers me to assemble the HS to a brand new CPU himself and connect it to the MB. I let him do. Bring back my system home and... "System failed CPU test".

Now is it me or are those A7V333 a bit dodgy ???

I've read a couple of posts of other people having the same problem. Is it because of a specific BIOS revision which ships with current boards or what (I hear there were problems with the 1006 revision).

Anybody's guess ?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I'm surprised the COP didn't shut it down before the CPU smoked. Oh well, I guess it's not the holy grail ;-(

Anyway, see <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=516790#516790" target="_new">this post</A> for a possible solution to your problem.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

chillysalsa

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2002
I believe that C.O.P. is not enabled by default. I had mine come with BIOS 1006, which didn't have any settings to adjust C.O.P., but if you install BIOS 1007, it lets you specify what temp to shutdown at - that works fine.

I think your problem maybe with the Vol 7+ mounting, is it a 3-lug clip? Mine was, and it was impossible to seat properly. It may look like it's on right, it still may not be pressing well onto the die. When I first tryied mine with a 3-lug clip, I already had BIOS 1007 installed, and saved my chip (it only ran for 10 sec before shutting off at 70ºC).

kamo

Distinguished
May 3, 2002
I'm not sure ... but there should be a jumper to enable COP

:wink: <font color=green> The second time is always better than the first :wink: </font color=green>

Soggorathma

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2002
Ok I found the problem. The MB was touching the chassis, and therefore was grounded.

A little bit of tape, and that was sorted !