Transfer files and settings

I installed Windows XP last night upgrading from Windows
Me. This effectively killed all of my program .exe files
under the programs tab from what I can see. Does this
mean I have to reinstall every program that I had
installed on Windows Me? What is the point of having a
Transfer Files and Settings? Can I undo the Transfer
Files and Settings that I already transferred? If so how
do I undo it(this is my main question)? That would allow
me to go back and make a fresh start correct? Does anyone
have any pointers?

Apparently, you selected "New Installation" rather than the default
"Upgrade" option during setup. As a result, you now have two
different Windows operating systems residing in the same partition
which will eventually cause all sorts of problems. You need to
start over and perform a "clean install" and then reinstall your programs.
Also, the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" only does as it name
describes....transfers "Files and Settings". It does not transfer "Programs".

Data or Program Settings Are Missing After You Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313362&Product=winxp

Clean Install Windows XP

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--