Sign in with
Your question

which one is better? ps3 or x360?

Last response: in Video Games
December 4, 2006 10:59:10 PM

i m talking about hardware, which one have more horsepower?

More about : ps3 x360

December 7, 2006 2:57:05 PM

Brute force power? PS3. There is no argument on that.

It's up to the programmers to take advantage of it and that's why they are more evenly matched in real applications. X360 is easier to program for.
December 7, 2006 6:17:30 PM

thanks man!! thats what i needed to know
Related resources
December 17, 2006 8:16:40 AM

360 ,PS3 is a mess
December 17, 2006 12:01:21 PM

how can u say that?

i m talking about hardware, i think is like viper says
December 18, 2006 12:06:30 AM

What he means is that the PS3 is still premature. There are problems with stability and heat that will hopefully be corrected in later versions but the Xbox 360 has had a year to correct those same issues and is not that much less powerful.

If you are talking about pure hardware potential, the PS3 wins hands down. If you are talking about real world usage and realistic expectations, there isn't a huge difference between the two and right now, the better (and cheaper) money is on the Xbox 360.
December 18, 2006 12:52:41 PM

Quote:
If you are talking about pure hardware potential, the PS3 wins hands down

that's what i needed
December 20, 2006 3:03:09 PM

Quote:
right now, the better (and cheaper) money is on the Xbox 360.
How long do you think people will still be saying that though?
December 20, 2006 3:10:15 PM

I already voted with my wallet, so I'm hoping it'll last until the next gen.
December 21, 2006 9:29:45 AM

I’ll have both anyway, maybe even a wii too. I really don’t want to be with out the exclusives on either platform. That’s kind of why I have always bought every console that’s been released… well with exception of the Sega Saturn and the N64 of course.

I’ll let you know how the new Metal Gear & Final Fantasy games are when they come out :wink:
December 21, 2006 2:29:29 PM

I'll hopefully be getting a Wii today!

Not a fan of FF, but I've been a fan of MG since the NES. Go ahead, make me cry.
December 21, 2006 7:32:39 PM

Quote:
the Sega Saturn and the N64 of course.

that's personal question,

i always like n64 system
December 22, 2006 5:02:27 PM

Quote:
What he means is that the PS3 is still premature. There are problems with stability and heat that will hopefully be corrected in later versions but the Xbox 360 has had a year to correct those same issues and is not that much less powerful..

what are you talking about , the 4 people having heat issues with the ps3 does not make a crisis.
The 360 now thats the biggest POS, theve had a year and are still having problems more so then the PS3. So much so they had to extend the warranty from 30 days to a year if that tell you anything they are not doing it from the kindness of there heart.

I am not complaining because i have both, and i am on my third 360. plus i should be getting back 2 checks from m$ft from my first 2 boxes.

Quote:
If you are talking about pure hardware potential, the PS3 wins hands down. If you are talking about real world usage and realistic expectations, there isn't a huge difference between the two and right now, the better (and cheaper) money is on the Xbox 360.

its like the PS2 and xbox when the xbox came after the ps2 its graphics were so/so but when it hit its prime it was sweet.

so what statement is true inforno?
Quote:
Xbox 360 has had a year to correct those same issues and is not that much less powerful..

OR

Quote:
If you are talking about pure hardware potential, the PS3 wins hands down ..
December 22, 2006 5:14:56 PM

Quote:
what are you talking about , the 4 people having heat issues with the ps3 does not make a crisis.

So what you're telling me is that everyone who isn't selling there PS3 on ebay is having heat issues? :p 
December 24, 2006 1:02:47 PM

Quote:
What he means is that the PS3 is still premature. There are problems with stability and heat that will hopefully be corrected in later versions but the Xbox 360 has had a year to correct those same issues and is not that much less powerful..

There are certainly more than 4 people, and I did not call it a crisis, just a problem. From reviews I have read, if you store your PS3 in an enclosed cabinet or rack, or place it surrounded with other consoles/video equipment, then overheating is an issue. The problem is that those are situations in which many people DO place their new PS3s and problems have been reported.

Quote:

The 360 now thats the biggest POS, theve had a year and are still having problems more so then the PS3. So much so they had to extend the warranty from 30 days to a year if that tell you anything they are not doing it from the kindness of there heart.

I am not complaining because i have both, and i am on my third 360. plus i should be getting back 2 checks from m$ft from my first 2 boxes.

I am absolutely NOT defending the 360. I have refrained from purchasing one myself for these very reasons. As well as cost.

Quote:

its like the PS2 and xbox when the xbox came after the ps2 its graphics were so/so but when it hit its prime it was sweet.

so what statement is true inforno?
Quote:
Xbox 360 has had a year to correct those same issues and is not that much less powerful..

OR

Quote:
If you are talking about pure hardware potential, the PS3 wins hands down ..

Both statements are true. The PS3 is not weaker than the 360 in any hardware potential category. There is no valid debate to which one is theoretically more powerful. The difference in performance however is not tremendous.

There are other issues at play in any purchase decision however. First up is game library. Neither of those consoles has an impressive game library, but the 360's is better just because it has had a year to produce games. I wouldn't consider buying either one until there was a minimum of 3 games that I really wanted on it. Neither one is particularly close to meeting that criteria yet. The Wii is already there and it is the newest of the three.

Price is also a major factor. $600 is a LOT of money for a console and a crappy movie. Especially a console that reportedly has one game with playing so far and that one isn't exactly going to set the world on fire. $400 is also a LOT of money for a console. There are a couple of really interesting games for it though. $250 is downright reasonable and there are already quite a few interesting games for the wii.

My reccomendation, and what I am doing myself, is wait for three must have titles, then buy the console. The price will likely have dropped significantly by then and if not, evaluate whether it is worth that kind of money to you at that point.
January 2, 2007 12:32:03 AM

Quote:
Not a fan of FF, but I've been a fan of MG since the NES. Go ahead, make me cry.

there's psp if ps3 is out of your price range. gametrailers gave mgs portable a good review. it looked fun.
January 2, 2007 12:55:05 AM

Quote:

Both statements are true. The PS3 is not weaker than the 360 in any hardware potential category. There is no valid debate to which one is theoretically more powerful.

Price is also a major factor. $600 is a LOT of money for a console and a crappy movie. Especially a console that reportedly has one game with playing so far and that one isn't exactly going to set the world on fire. $400 is also a LOT of money for a console. There are a couple of really interesting games for it though. $250 is downright reasonable and there are already quite a few interesting games for the wii.

this over-simplification is repeated so much. It is not an issue of the Cell being overall "more powerful", simply more optimized in floating point mathematics. The Xbox 360 also prioritizes floating point. Both do not have out of order execution, a reason why Intel's latest CPUs would outperform both in many tasks. The reason they have powerful floating point units is that their GPUs are rather limited, not because CPU game code should actually require a lot of floating point operations. I believe the geometry shader and gpgpu strategy (whether marketed in some "torrenza" thing or not) will eventually win, because it approaches the problem as it should - using an extremely parallel device to accomplish a potentially extremely parallel task (i.e. could be split into thousands of threads). However, the Cell's greater specialization - indeed it can do more floating point operations - may help the playstation 3 perform better. I have not found any benchmarks comparing the undoubtedly reduced branch predictor on the xbox to the prepare to branch compiler instructions on the playstation 3. It may be a significant factor, or maybe not.

As far as the GPU goes, I think it's similarly objective. I guess I like the RSX more because I honestly don't believe accelerated point sprites without any real physics calculations are worth the advertised "directx 9 plus" of the xbox.

Unlike what most people think, the RAM situation is likely equal for games. XDR is not faster than DDR in terms of bandwidth; its interface only transmits 2 bits at a time, and is clocked higher to make up for it. It is equal to DDR2-800 in bandwidth. I don't see a great advantage to the shared memory system; it's extremely unlikely that someone would have more than 256 mb of non-textures. If the playstation has more than 256 mb of textures, which is likely, it has fine bandwidth to the cpu ram. The only situation where this is unfortunate is with Linux, and the Xbox doesn't allow Linux so there isn't much of an argument.

I agree with your recommendation though. But I think that the PC will end up winning again - nothing beats having a general purpose machine. Unfortunately, because of Sony insisting on using a hypervisor, Linux on the playstation just doesn't compare.
January 2, 2007 1:09:54 AM

Ok, well ill list the specs of each system.

Xbox 360:

CPU: 3 cores that can run 2 threads at once (6 threads total)
RAM: 512mb of RAM at 700mhz
GPU: 256mb 500mhz ATI Xenos with 48 unified shaders
Hard Drive: 20GB

PS3:

CPU: 1 core with 7 SPE's (can run 7 threads at once(or 8, i forget))
RAM: 256mb of RAM at 700mhz
GPU: 256mb 550mhz nVidia RSX
Hard Drive: 20GB or 60GB

Thats the basic core hardware specs of the systems, but the Xbox 360 has a more developed coding system for its development. This isnt to say that the PS3 cant perform an action the 360 can, but it may take 2 or 3 lines of coding to perform the same action that the 360 could do it one line.
January 2, 2007 4:56:59 AM

thanks man
January 2, 2007 4:51:31 PM

I stand corrected. There are hardware potential aspects where the 360 beats the PS3. Point remains that they are very VERY close in performance and the premium price tag for the PS3 just doesn't make a lot of sense purchase wise.
January 6, 2007 12:25:54 AM

I would have to say the PS3 has more robust CPU, probably won't see it in the games, but, in other applications it will be very powerful.

On the GPU side the 360 should win hands down. The 360 setup is so efficient that it actually outperforms both the 7900GTX and the X1900XTX and takes a 0 FPS hit when enabling AA. The PS3 has something along the lines of a 7800GTX, it's not exactly the same, but very similar.

Summary. CPU PS3>360 GPU 360>PS3.

I think we all know what is most important in games.

wes
January 6, 2007 1:53:53 AM

Quote:
I think we all know what is most important in games.

Yeah, a cheap and affordable platform and good gameplay.

;-)
January 6, 2007 3:06:58 PM

Theres actually a very important factor that the 360 CPU beats the PS3 CPU in and we are seeing this because this cell chip isnt delivering what they thought it would.

The 360 CPU has three cores with their own cache and can run 2 lines of coding at once per core. So that a total of 6 lines of coding at once, each with their own cache.

The PS3 has one core with only one cache. And its a normal cache, not even a big one. Yes that one core can run 7 lines of coding at once, but theres only one cache for all 7 SPE's.

And both the CPUs are running at 3.2Ghz. So if you balance everything out. The PS3 can run one more line of coding, but only has one cache for teh entire CPU. As where the 360 can run 6 lines each with their own cache. And add that on top of the fact that the 360 takes less lines of coding to program a game and can perform an action in one line that the PS3 can only perform in 2 or 3 lines. Id say that the 360 CPU is actually better than the PS3's.

So, now lets compare all the stuff.

CPU: I just explained this.
~~winner~~ Xbox 360

GPU: The Xbox 360 runs at teh equivalent of a GF7900GTX. and the PS3 only runs at the equiv of a GF7800GTX.
~~winner~~ Xbox 360

RAM: The 360 has 512mb of RAM at 700mhz, where as the PS3 only has 256mb of ram at 700mhz.
~~winner~~ Xbox 360

Disk Format: The 360 runs off a DVD drive which hold 8GB. The PS3 runs off of a single layer Blu Ray Disk which holds 10GB. The 360 has a removable HD-DVD Drive which holds 40GB. MS said theres no need to make games on the HD-DVD as they dont require that much space, but that it is entirely possible to do so. Blu Ray also gets scratched VERY easily. So to me the 360 wins this one.
~~winner~~ Xbox 360

hard Drive: The PS3 comes with either a 20GB or a 60GB. The XBox comes with a 20GB. but you can buy 360 HDs in sizes of; 20GB,40GB,60GB,100GB, and 200GB. So im going to call this a tie as the PS3 comes with more standard, but the 360 has better upgrade options.
~~winner~~ Tie.

Now, those are all the major hardware sections to the consoles and as you can see the PS3 at first looks is more powerful, but if you actually analyze it you can see the 360 actually has more power behind it.
January 8, 2007 3:08:08 AM

Quote:

GPU: The Xbox 360 runs at teh equivalent of a GF7900GTX. and the PS3 only runs at the equiv of a GF7800GTX.
~~winner~~ Xbox 360

Source because i dont think this is acurate

Quote:

RAM: The 360 has 512mb of RAM at 700mhz, where as the PS3 only has 256mb of ram at 700mhz.
~~winner~~ Xbox 360

ill give you that

Quote:

Disk Format: The 360 runs off a DVD drive which hold 8GB. The PS3 runs off of a single layer Blu Ray Disk which holds 10GB. The 360 has a removable HD-DVD Drive which holds 40GB. MS said theres no need to make games on the HD-DVD as they dont require that much space, but that it is entirely possible to do so. Blu Ray also gets scratched VERY easily. So to me the 360 wins this one.
~~winner~~ Xbox 360

BD holds 25Gb - 50GB so ps3 wins there

Quote:

hard Drive: The PS3 comes with either a 20GB or a 60GB. The XBox comes with a 20GB. but you can buy 360 HDs in sizes of; 20GB,40GB,60GB,100GB, and 200GB. So im going to call this a tie as the PS3 comes with more standard, but the 360 has better upgrade options.
~~winner~~ Tie.

where can you buy these 360 HDD's i havent seen them, and the ps3 you can buy regular sata drives and hook them up, which means swappable cheaper drives, ya know so ur not paying $100 for 20GB.

Also the PS3 is much more open source than that 360. Also i dont know if i believe you know what your talking about with the CPU after your comment about the blu ray.
January 8, 2007 7:17:27 AM

http://dpad.gotfrag.com/portal/story/35372/?spage=7

There are numerous reviews of this topic. You are correct though, the Xbox 360 GPU is not the equivalent of a 7900GTX, it is actually sustains higher fill rates than a 7900GTX and X1900XTX, also, it can do AA with no FPS hit. The PS3 gpu is pretty close to a 7800GTX.

So, the 360 has a substantially more powerful GPU than the PS3 has.

You can do a google search and find a ton of information on this topic.

wes

Edit: also, I am not buying the current gen consoles to run linux on them, the cpu's in them are not very well suited to do a variety of tasks, and the typical dual core X86 cpu would outperform them. So, it doesn't really matter how open source the console is, to me that is a useless selling point..... I buy gaming consoles to play games on them, so as long as they hook up to my HDTV, and play games out of the box.... among other typical console tasks, that works for me.
!