stevep12

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
Where can I get a good explanation of FSB speeds.
My mobo has a jumper for 100MHz/133MHz. Its an FIC az-11 board. I have a Duron 800 CPU and 384 MB of PC133 ram.
The default jumper setting is 100 (where it is now). I tried to set the jumper to 133 but the pc wont start.

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
the FSB of your duron is supposed to be at 100 because the duron has a FSB of 100...the reason it wouldnt boot at 133 because you were actually overclocking your duron to 1064mhz (8 x 133)...anyways...100 for your duron is where its supposed to be...

:eek: <b>L <font color=red>A</font color=red> e <font color=red>T</font color=red> a <font color=red>I</font color=red> K</b> :eek:

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
What PR497 said!

Also, the FIC AZ-11 has a Via KT133 chipset which was designed for 100mhz FSB/133 mhz memory operation. This chipset will not work with a bus speed of 133mhz.

True 133mhz operation was designed into the replacement chipset, the KT133A.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually, the Kt133 (original) was SUPPOSED TO do 133 but didn't. Couldn't expect it to, it's VIA.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Actually, the Kt133 (original) was SUPPOSED TO do 133 but didn't. Couldn't expect it to, it's VIA.
You may be right but they never marketed it that way, claiming 133mhz capable. The chipset wasn't much more than a revamp of the KX133, SlotA chipset.

As far as I'm concerned the KT266 (original) was just more of the same crap with support for DDR. In my opinion, KT266A is by far the best of series (KT333 included) but my KT133A board is definitely the last Via chipset that I am going to own.

I can't afford the fastest video cards so I don't need the fastest chipset, especially if I have to sacrifice stability for it.

I'm considering nForce2 (maybe just nForce) if I stick with AMD processors and i850 if I switch to Intel for my next upgrade. I don't even need to overclock anymore. I'm tired of noisy computers and I'm tired of the driver shell game.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
SiS has been making some very stable, very inexpensive, well performing chipsets for both processors.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

stevep12

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
Thanks for the information.
I figured as much, I knew the Duron was 100MHz FSB.
Just wondered why FIC put the jumper, but I found out its for Athlon setups.

Hoolio

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
how come so many people have had a problem with VIA but I never have?

Does this so called instability speak come from years ago when they really were bad?

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
It all depended on what you did with your board. Trying to overclock like crazy is going to put enough stress on your mobo to fail. I've installed several VIA platforms based on KT133 and KT266 (with or without the "A") and only once did I encounter a BIOS problem with an Asus A7V that an updated BIOS fixed. The BIOS always reverted to 100Mhz FSB upon rebooting while an Athlon 266Mhz was installed. And like I said, a BIOS upgrade fixed the problem. Even then, VIA had nothing to do with this issue. Never had any other problems with a VIA board.
VIA shipped millions of chipsets. We are bound to find some bad apples in the bunch. Still, people who gets the bad apples yell louder than the vast majority who don't.
Nevertheless, VIA did have some problems a while back, but I think they have proven they can produce good and reliable products in the past year or so.
That said, I'm not such a big fan of VIA (like I'm not such a big fan of anything computer-related, I just enjoy good quality), but we have to recognize their achievement. Watch out for nVidia though!

<font color=red>Floppy disk?!? What the heck's a floppy disk?!?</font color=red>

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
Actually, no!
The AZ-11 doesn't support 266Mhz Athlons.
It's 100Mhz all the way for you, unless a BIOS upgrade specifies otherwise. Though, you might be able to set your memory settings to 133Mhz in the BIOS in conjunction with PC133 modules.

<font color=red>Floppy disk?!? What the heck's a floppy disk?!?</font color=red>