CuCullin

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
I'm right now considering my options for a pc mounted in my car. As of right now, it would seem that the VIA C3 processor line would be best fit for this application due to low power consumption and very little heat.

The question is, what chipset would I use with this? I would think a VIA chipset would be best. Essentially, I'm looking for a motherboard with AGP and atleast 3 PCI slots, takes SDRAM, AMR isnt needed, neither is onboard sound or video. I would prefer MicroATX for a smaller fit in the car. Onboard IR and USB would definitely be nice, but neither is really necessary. ATX is preferred.

Any ideas?

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
First off I'd recommend reviewing VIA's verfied motherboard list for the processer http://www.via.com.tw/en/viac3/vml.jsp

From these, I found two good ones. One a top performer, the other actually designed as a mobile motherboard!!! The cream of the crop here would be the Iwill DVD266U-R with the Via Pro266T chipset, using DDR w/Audio, LAN and RAID. Features; 133FSB, ATA/100, AGP Pro, 4DDR DIMM, 5PCI, 4USB, Audio, LAN, RAID - The list is quite large. These boards stood out though from that list in terms of features and performance and for what you want!

This one, designed as a mobile motherboard is much cheaper (about half). The Asus TUSI-M with the SiS 630E chipset. It is an M-ATX Motherboard w/Audio, Video, LAN,
133FSB, UDA/66, 2 DIMM, 3PCI, 1AMR, Audio, Video, LAN but no AGP!