Argggg What am I doing wrong ?

MonteMan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
I took apart my sisters computer today and put ATA 100 cables in. In the processor I think I got one of the cables mixed up. She only has a Hard Drive, CD Rom and a Floppy. The Floppy gets a sperate cord and then I have the hard drive as master and the CD Rom as Slave.... Am I doing something wrong here ?

Put the hardrive as master of the primary IDE or IDE 1. Put the CDROM drive as master of the secondary IDE or IDE 2. Make sure if the cables are color coded that the blue ends go to the motherboard connectors, and as master you hook at the end of the cable, slave is the middle connector of the cables. Make sure the jumpers are set properly on the HD and CDROM drives. Floppy has its own cable its smaller than the others, and the cable twist end always goes to the floppy drive. Now what exactly is wrong?

You never know what you can do until you try.

l3um

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2002
I thought the middle connection of the IDE cable was the master and the end connection was the slave. That's what it is marked as in my CD-RW manual and etc. Just making sure.

What's this?...ERROR ERROR ERROR...*CRASH & BURN*

MonteMan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Well I got that problem taken care of now when I boot up it says Floppy disk(s) fail (40). Any ideas upon what this means :)

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Check your floppy data cable is connected correctly. The twisted end should be plugged into the drive, and pin 1 (red stripe) usually is inward of the drive (as opposite to IDE cable).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I thought the middle connection of the IDE cable was the master and the end connection was the slave.
doesn't matter where it's connected. What determines M/S is the jumpers.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts