POSTing with out a Video Card

Marbles

Distinguished
May 16, 2002
I am looking for a AMD motherboard that does not require a video card to POST. The motherboard must not have onboard video either. I am looking at buying a number of such motherboard for use in Linux based systems.

I understand that this is some what of an unusual request, considering a cheap video card isn't expensive. An alternative would be a reliable BIOS hack for a motherboard.

Thanks in advance,

Marbles

ViaKing

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
Never heard of such a thing. Is this possible? How can you view your POST or BIOS/CMOS info if you have nothing to display it?

I might be wrong on this but doesn't your BIOS/ROM chip look for a compatiable Videocard for it's onboard ROM for information before the POST will continue any further? In my experience you will get error beeps indicating you have no display card or your display adapter is not functioning. Next in line is the testing of Memory.

I'm not sure what you mean by a Mobo without a videocard. Just out of interest why do you want such a setup? The only thing I can see this applied to is a server based machien that needs no sound/video.

kamo

Distinguished
May 3, 2002
Beeing not competent, here is what I think. Asus A7V333 have a special software that allows you to play wave fails on post errors. So may be there is a way to change that bahaviour and execute you own code (to continue the post?!)

:wink: <font color=green> The second time is always better than the first :wink: </font color=green><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kamo on 07/16/02 02:29 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

kamo

Distinguished
May 3, 2002
I just bought A7V333, and when in the bios set the "halt on" (in "main") to "no error", the computer can work without video card(I tried). I think there are lot of m/b with such feature, just nobody use it.

DFI AK-75 EC, has also "halt on" : "no error" option.
After the most stupid and the greatest m/b has such option I think almost every board has :cool:

:wink: <font color=green> The second time is always better than the first :wink: </font color=green><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kamo on 07/18/02 10:27 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
Yea, just tell it not to stop on errors like keyboard, and video and then you can boot just fine. We did this for our gateway machine running remote control software.

Only sucks when something goes wrong and you have to install everything to see what's causing the problem.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bardic on 07/18/02 05:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>