Home Networking - what a drag!

I am having a big problem with getting all my devices setup on my home
network.

Setup consists of: Linksys cable modem, to primary Linksys Wireless router,
daisychained to secondary Linksys wired router. I have reviewed all of the
settings with Linksys and they tell me that the issue that I am having is
not related to the above equipment settings.

With the above setup, using the Network Wizard, what is the appropriate
choices to setup my network that consists of 3 PCs and a network printer. I
want to be able to share information between the PCs and use a local printer
on my main PC.

I've been looking through out the internet but have not found the right
configuration that explains the detail in choosing which settings in the
Network Wizard.

Any wisdom on this would be greatly appreciated.

-Ray

Hello
First open the Properties of My Network Places, delete or disable all
connections except your internet connection, (all computers). Right click
your IC go to Properties the Local Area Connection Properties will open,
install Client for MS Network, File & Print Sharing, Internet
Protocol(TCP/IP)(on this protocol click Properties select Obtain IP and DNS
Automatically), install NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBios Protocol(this will allow the
firewall to be enabled), click OK. Now back on your Network Connections
click on the left of the page, Setup a Small Home Network, the wizard will
open then just follow the instructions, when you get to the point to Create
a Floppy then do so, then you just run it on the other computer,(insert the
floppy in the other puter open My Computer double click A drive then double
click the link that appears. Be sure to name your Workgroup (not domain) the
same and give each computer a different name.

To hook up Printer sharing just install the printer on the host computer go
to Printer and Faxes right click your printer, then go to Sharing, then set
it to Share then name it, click OK.

Go to the other computer open Printer & Faxes on the left of the page click
add a printer then follow the instructions.

--
Hope This Helps
Haus
"Ray W." <rwwalters@nhsnet.org> wrote in message
> I am having a big problem with getting all my devices setup on my home
> network.
>
> Setup consists of: Linksys cable modem, to primary Linksys Wireless
router,
> daisychained to secondary Linksys wired router. I have reviewed all of the
> settings with Linksys and they tell me that the issue that I am having is
> not related to the above equipment settings.
>
> With the above setup, using the Network Wizard, what is the appropriate
> choices to setup my network that consists of 3 PCs and a network printer.
> want to be able to share information between the PCs and use a local
printer
> on my main PC.
>
> I've been looking through out the internet but have not found the right
> configuration that explains the detail in choosing which settings in the
> Network Wizard.
>
> Any wisdom on this would be greatly appreciated.
>
> -Ray

pop

Haus,

Just wanted to say thanks - great answer. I've been trying
to get my head around that for a long time so I could
remember it peiodically, as in when the LAN disrupts for no
apparent reason! Now I have something to create a log & a
process with, thanks to you.

Pop

Hello
You are welcome
Good Luck.....;)

--
"Pop" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> > > daisychained to secondary Linksys wired router. I have
> reviewed all of the
> > > settings with Linksys and they tell me that the issue
> that I am having is
> > > not related to the above equipment settings.
> > >
> > > With the above setup, using the Network Wizard, what is
> the appropriate
> > > choices to setup my network that consists of 3 PCs and a
> network printer.
> > > want to be able to share information between the PCs and
> use a local
> > printer
> > > on my main PC.
> > >
> > > I've been looking through out the internet but have not
> found the right
> > > configuration that explains the detail in choosing which
> settings in the
> > > Network Wizard.
> > >
> > > Any wisdom on this would be greatly appreciated.

papa

Hi Ray:

Most routers have 4 wired ports, even if they are wireless. So why the need
for 2 routers if you only have 3 PCs?

I have a LAN consisting of 3 Desktops and 1 laptop. The equipment consists
of a cable modem, a wireless router which includes 4 wired (RJ45) ports and
1 parallel print server, the 3 desktops connected to the router using CAT 5
straight-through cable and plugged into a NIC in each desktop, a laptop
communicating with the router with a wireless card, and a LAN printer
plugged into the router print server.

The printer can be accessed by any of the computers, including the laptop,
and no one computer has to be running before another computer can access the
printer. Similarly, all of the computers, including the laptop, can access
the internet independently, i.e., no one computer has to be turned on before
another computer can access the internet. All of these computers can also
access each others files via file sharing.

The bottom line: ICS is not used, only one NIC is required per computer, and
there is no such thing as a "host" computer.

For very good networking info, go to www.practicallynetworked.com.

Regards.

Three PCs, xbox connection, network printer, and one port used for crossover
cable

I can now see the PCs and xbox, but not the network printer or print to the
local printer on the primary PC after loading the driver on the laptop.

"Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
> Hi Ray:
>
> Most routers have 4 wired ports, even if they are wireless. So why the
need
> for 2 routers if you only have 3 PCs?
>
> I have a LAN consisting of 3 Desktops and 1 laptop. The equipment consists
> of a cable modem, a wireless router which includes 4 wired (RJ45) ports
and
> 1 parallel print server, the 3 desktops connected to the router using CAT
5
> straight-through cable and plugged into a NIC in each desktop, a laptop
> communicating with the router with a wireless card, and a LAN printer
> plugged into the router print server.
>
> The printer can be accessed by any of the computers, including the laptop,
> and no one computer has to be running before another computer can access
the
> printer. Similarly, all of the computers, including the laptop, can access
> the internet independently, i.e., no one computer has to be turned on
before
> another computer can access the internet. All of these computers can also
> access each others files via file sharing.
>
> The bottom line: ICS is not used, only one NIC is required per computer,
and
> there is no such thing as a "host" computer.
>
> For very good networking info, go to www.practicallynetworked.com.
>
> Regards.

Hello Ray
It will not be necessary to install the printer drivers on any of the
computers except the one the printer is hooked to.
Open Printers & Faxes on the host computer (the one the printer is hooked
to) right click on the printer select Sharing then name the printer. Close
Go to the other puters, go to Printers & Faxes, on the left select Add a
Printer, Next>A Network Printer or one Attached to a different
Computer>Next>Connect to this Printer>then in the box type \\host
computer name\printer name, just like the illustration, then next and
finish.

The host computer will have to be on to print from the other computers.