chkdsk-batch file for 4 parttitions

i want to make a batch file to run on startup, that is an icon on the
desktop i can click when i want to run chkdsk. i want to use the /f
switch so it will auto fix. there are 4 partitions. is it possible to
have xp-pro do this on start up, and check all four partitions with the
f switch at the same time. if so, what would the exact commands be in
the shortcut on the desktop?

thanks much
bob
7 answers Last reply
More about chkdsk batch file parttitions

    Checkdisk is only useful for checking Windows XP system file
    errors and correcting them. Therefore it is only useful to use
    with the partition that Windows XP is actually installed on.

    CHKNTFS.EXE: What You Can Use It For
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=160963

    Chkdsk in Read-Only Mode Does Not Detect Corruption on NTFS Volume
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q283340

    Also see:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm#cd

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "B&P" <carpencp@seanet.com> wrote in message:

    |i want to make a batch file to run on startup, that is an icon on the
    | desktop i can click when i want to run chkdsk. i want to use the /f
    | switch so it will auto fix. there are 4 partitions. is it possible to
    | have xp-pro do this on start up, and check all four partitions with the
    | f switch at the same time. if so, what would the exact commands be in
    | the shortcut on the desktop?
    |
    | thanks much
    | bob

    What util. do we use then to check and repair errors on other
    partitions,(as in my case D-E-F-), as I did in 98se.

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    > Checkdisk is only useful for checking Windows XP system file
    > errors and correcting them. Therefore it is only useful to use
    > with the partition that Windows XP is actually installed on.
    >
    > CHKNTFS.EXE: What You Can Use It For
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=160963
    >
    > Chkdsk in Read-Only Mode Does Not Detect Corruption on NTFS Volume
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q283340
    >
    > Also see:
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm#cd

    Carey,

    Chkdsk is used to verify the integrity of the file system on a given
    partition, not the integrity of the system files. You may be confusing this
    with sfc. It is useful on any partition where there is a possible problem
    with the file system integrity. It is not limited to the partition where the
    system is installed.

    An Explanation of CHKDSK and the New /C and /I Switches
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=187941

    Bob, there is no reason whatsoever to run chkdsk on every boot. Schedule it
    to run when there is a problem, otherwise leave the drive alone.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Checkdisk is only useful for checking Windows XP system file
    > errors and correcting them. Therefore it is only useful to use
    > with the partition that Windows XP is actually installed on.
    >
    > CHKNTFS.EXE: What You Can Use It For
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=160963
    >
    > Chkdsk in Read-Only Mode Does Not Detect Corruption on NTFS Volume
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q283340
    >
    > Also see:
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm#cd
    >

    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    ----------

    > "B&P" <carpencp@seanet.com> wrote in message:
    >
    > |i want to make a batch file to run on startup, that is an icon on the
    > | desktop i can click when i want to run chkdsk. i want to use the /f
    > | switch so it will auto fix. there are 4 partitions. is it possible to
    > | have xp-pro do this on start up, and check all four partitions with the
    > | f switch at the same time. if so, what would the exact commands be in
    > | the shortcut on the desktop?
    > |
    > | thanks much
    > | bob

    What a load of utter rubbish.

    http://home.comcast.net/~wizardofwhimsy/index.html
    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message news:evBox0ZTEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Checkdisk is only useful for checking Windows XP system file
    > errors and correcting them. Therefore it is only useful to use
    > with the partition that Windows XP is actually installed on.
    >
    > CHKNTFS.EXE: What You Can Use It For
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=160963
    >
    > Chkdsk in Read-Only Mode Does Not Detect Corruption on NTFS Volume
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q283340
    >
    > Also see:
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm#cd
    >

    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    > "B&P" <carpencp@seanet.com> wrote in message:
    >
    > |i want to make a batch file to run on startup, that is an icon on the
    > | desktop i can click when i want to run chkdsk. i want to use the /f
    > | switch so it will auto fix. there are 4 partitions. is it possible to
    > | have xp-pro do this on start up, and check all four partitions with the
    > | f switch at the same time. if so, what would the exact commands be in
    > | the shortcut on the desktop?
    > |
    > | thanks much
    > | bob

    "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    What a load of utter rubbish.
    THAT CANDY-ASSED CANDY CAN PUT OUT! etpi8nva9p8nvati8nvt?
    STOP BREATHING MY AIR!

    <g>
    Pop

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Checkdisk is only useful for checking Windows XP system file
    > errors and correcting them. Therefore it is only useful to use
    > with the partition that Windows XP is actually installed on.
    >
    > CHKNTFS.EXE: What You Can Use It For
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=160963
    >
    > Chkdsk in Read-Only Mode Does Not Detect Corruption on NTFS Volume
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q283340
    >
    > Also see:
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm#cd
    >

    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User

    Maybe you should read that KB article Carey, instead of just linking things
    you "think" are the way you say they are! You obviously do not know
    everything in how CHKDSK works (as well as XP period), as it is used to
    perform the functions it does on any partition, not just the system
    partition.

    > Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    Be smart, learn about Windows before posting your technocrap!

    You and Carey are alike, prefer to give gobblygook rather than do the hard work.

    "Pop" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:OtOKO9jTEHA.2704@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

    > "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > What a load of utter rubbish.
    > THAT CANDY-ASSED CANDY CAN PUT OUT! etpi8nva9p8nvati8nvt?
    > STOP BREATHING MY AIR!
    >
    > <g>
    > Pop

Chkdsk Switch Desktops Windows XP