Problem setting up LaserJet 6p/mp with Windows XP

Hello,

My problem is as the subject line said.

I've tried to set up a networked printer (LaserJet 6p/mp) so that documents
can be printed from a Sony VAIO laptop running Windows XP. The printer
works find for our other computers, (all run Windows 98SE (!)) but when I've
downloaded what I think are the right drivers, it will note work. The
computer complains the driver has not been sign with a Microsoft Logo, (or
something like that!), and will then not install the printer. The driver
that I downloaded from the HP site is called "lj652.exe", I've also tried
the driver that works on the Windows 98 computers, and that's called
"lj852.exe". Is there something that I'm doing wrong? And, can anybody help
me fix it?!

Any help will be (very) greatly appreciated.

Anthony
1 answer Last reply
More about problem setting laserjet windows

    Anthony,

    Unless a software driver is explicitly identified by its vendor as running under
    Windows XP, DO NOT install it under XP. Once again, Microsoft changed enough of
    the internal workings of XP that the older NT and 2000 drivers often break and
    the 95/98/Me drivers just plain will not work. So remove all the stuff that is
    not for XP. It will only cause trouble, either scrambling your system (happened
    to one of my clients who tried to do something without good software knowledge)
    or simply causing frustration, your current state.

    Like most other HP LaserJets, the 6p or 6mp (which one is it???) should have
    drivers built into Windows XP, either on your Sony or on the XP CD. Is this
    printer attached to a JetDirect or another computer? The procedure to install
    successfully under XP depends on how the printer is visible on the network.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:49:18 +0100, "Anthony Deane" <anthonydeane@connect.com>
    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >My problem is as the subject line said.
    >
    >I've tried to set up a networked printer (LaserJet 6p/mp) so that documents
    >can be printed from a Sony VAIO laptop running Windows XP. The printer
    >works find for our other computers, (all run Windows 98SE (!)) but when I've
    >downloaded what I think are the right drivers, it will note work. The
    >computer complains the driver has not been sign with a Microsoft Logo, (or
    >something like that!), and will then not install the printer. The driver
    >that I downloaded from the HP site is called "lj652.exe", I've also tried
    >the driver that works on the Windows 98 computers, and that's called
    >"lj852.exe". Is there something that I'm doing wrong? And, can anybody help
    >me fix it?!
    >
    >Any help will be (very) greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Anthony

Hewlett Packard Laserjet Windows XP Computers