Screen artifacts on Laptop

Hi,

I'm an experienced Macintosh user, getting familiar with the Windows world, on a new Sony Vaio laptop. Model PCG-K13. I looked for a windows laptop newsgroup, but couldn't find one. Sorry.

The screen on the Sony is getting artfiacts. The look like pink horizontal bands, but the bands are actually composed of closely spaced short vertical lines. The bands can be anywhere from a millimeter high, to an inch or more. The are inconsistent. The seem most noticeable on a blue screen. They never show up on a white screen. Moving the cursor around affects them as if the cursor were casting a shadow to the right. The machine is usable but it's annoying and will have to be fixed eventually.

Jiggling the screen, restarting, etc., doesn't make any difference.

I hope there is a user-fix. I don't want to go for a month without a laptop while the factory does warranty service.

Anybody know what's wrong. Anybody want to suggest a more suitable forum for inquiring?

Thanks in advance,

Tim Miller
2
answers
Last reply
More about screen artifacts laptop

    Could easily be a video driver problem or refresh rate set
    too high. Check for a driver update, always use the
    default refresh rate on a laptop's LCD screen . . .

    Just my opinion . . .

    Good Luck !

    Greetings --

    It sounds very much like a hardware flaw. Are these bands always
    in the same location?

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Waddadude" <Waddadude@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm an experienced Macintosh user, getting familiar with the Windows
    world, on a new Sony Vaio laptop. Model PCG-K13. I looked for a
    windows laptop newsgroup, but couldn't find one. Sorry.

    > The screen on the Sony is getting artfiacts. The look like pink
    horizontal bands, but the bands are actually composed of closely
    spaced short vertical lines. The bands can be anywhere from a
    millimeter high, to an inch or more. The are inconsistent. The seem
    most noticeable on a blue screen. They never show up on a white
    screen. Moving the cursor around affects them as if the cursor were
    casting a shadow to the right. The machine is usable but it's annoying
    and will have to be fixed eventually.

    > Jiggling the screen, restarting, etc., doesn't make any difference.
    >
    > I hope there is a user-fix. I don't want to go for a month without a
    laptop while the factory does warranty service.

    > Anybody know what's wrong. Anybody want to suggest a more suitable
    forum for inquiring?

    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Tim Miller

Laptops Windows XP