No CD Rom in Windows....

MonteMan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
When I boot into windows I have no CD Rom or D:\. However its shows one being there on the IDE Boot up ? Its running in windows 98 SE I want to install windows ME on it which is the reason I just upgraded to a better board/chip.

Any ideas ?

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
If the drive shares an IDE channel with an other drive, make sure that their jumpers are not both set as Masters or Slaves. If they both have the same setting, they won't work.
Select the drive you use the most as the Master and the other as Slave.

<font color=red>Floppy disk?!? What the heck's a floppy disk?!?</font color=red>

MonteMan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
The Hardrive is Primary Master and the CD Rom is Primary Slave. If I load the CD Rom in in the boot up process I can boot from CD but when I get into Windows there is no D; Drive.

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
That's quite weird.
I never heard of a CD-ROM undetected by Windows when there is no IDE settings problems.
What's your CD-ROM?

<font color=red>Floppy disk?!? What the heck's a floppy disk?!?</font color=red>

xazos79

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
The exact same thing happend in my girlfriends PC, which is running win98SE also. I took the cd-rom to my house and wacked it in my pc and it worked fine. This seems to be a win98 issue. If you have another cd-rom around, try that and see if you get anywhere. Then try putting the cd-rom in the secondary channel. If all fails, reformat and reinstall that POS win98 :)