missing extended partition-XP Home

I really screwed up!!!. Being new to XP I thought I could "look" at the
receovery Cd fromthe OEM. So I clicked on "boot from CD". All too quickly
files were loaded and a format began. I interrupted that but when i went to
use the "emergency disk" I had created, I was missing a file (hal.dll) and
could do nothing. I asked the store that sold me the computer and a friend
if I continued would i lose the data in the extended partiion and its
logical drives. Both assured me that logical drives were untouched and to go
ahead. I did reinstall from the recovery CD. But now I cannot see any
extended partition or logical drives via Windows Exploer or My Computer.
Would someone please help me. Because i was so intent on learning XP i did
get lax with my backup and in danger of losing ten years work

thanks gail

In most cases, a PC manufacturer's Recovery CD will return the system
to the same configuration as the day it left the factory. If you had created
additional partitions, using the Recovery CD will delete all partitions and
recreate just the one(s) it originally had.

Try the following:

1. Right-click on My Computer and select Manage.
2. Click once on Disk Management to highlight it.
3. Then from the Computer Management toolbar,
click on Action > Rescan Disks.
4. If any extended logical drives or extended partitions
still exist, they should appear. If they don't, they were
permanently deleted when you used the Recovery CD.

You can also try using a third-party partitioning program,
such as Partition Magic 8, and attempt to find them if they
are still in existence.

Partition Magic 8
http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Gail C" <gailc550(at)yahoo(dot)ca> wrote in message:

|I really screwed up!!!. Being new to XP I thought I could "look" at the
| receovery Cd fromthe OEM. So I clicked on "boot from CD". All too quickly
| files were loaded and a format began. I interrupted that but when i went to
| use the "emergency disk" I had created, I was missing a file (hal.dll) and
| could do nothing. I asked the store that sold me the computer and a friend
| if I continued would i lose the data in the extended partiion and its
| logical drives. Both assured me that logical drives were untouched and to go
| ahead. I did reinstall from the recovery CD. But now I cannot see any
| extended partition or logical drives via Windows Exploer or My Computer.
| Would someone please help me. Because i was so intent on learning XP i did
| get lax with my backup and in danger of losing ten years work
|
| thanks gail

Different manufacturers have their recovery CDs set up differently.
The most common seems to be delete all data on the hard drive and set
computer as originally bought with no other options.

Contact the manufacturer and/or check the manual for details.
Unless your friend and the store are speaking of this specific model
and brand, they may have given bad information.

Something here may help, but it may be expensive:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/datrec.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]