VZW behaving like Sprint PCS in DC Metro Area

I just moved to the Washington DC area from NJ and am experiencing
Sprint PCS-type problems in the DC metro area-- no service, failed
calls, dropped calls, switch to analog etc. In the district itself,
service is great but when I move just slightly outside the area into
Maryland (Chevy Chase, Bethesda, etc), I start experiencing these
problems. Also, when I check my account usage, I get updates that are
two weeks old. In NJ, I used to be able to get minute usage upto the
night before. As far as the usage problem goes, it could be because my
phone is still registered in NJ. Is anyone else experiencing these
problems as well? To be fair to VZW though, I can sometimes use the
phone even inside the metro which is not the case with a lot of other
providers.

"Babolat" <babolat30@aol.com> wrote in message
> I just moved to the Washington DC area from NJ and am experiencing
> Sprint PCS-type problems in the DC metro area-- no service, failed
> calls, dropped calls, switch to analog etc. In the district itself,
> service is great but when I move just slightly outside the area into
> Maryland (Chevy Chase, Bethesda, etc), I start experiencing these
> problems. Also, when I check my account usage, I get updates that are
> two weeks old. In NJ, I used to be able to get minute usage upto the
> night before. As far as the usage problem goes, it could be because my
> phone is still registered in NJ. Is anyone else experiencing these
> problems as well? To be fair to VZW though, I can sometimes use the
> phone even inside the metro which is not the case with a lot of other
> providers.

As far as your dropped calls, must be your phone, I live and work in that
area and have no problems at all.

As for updates, I'm out of the area and for the last few weeks updates have
been slow, in the past it used to work fine, and from what I hear now, they
are fixing the error, but out of towners (contracts or use) will be last on
the list to get fixed.

Did u *228?
"Babolat" <babolat30@aol.com> wrote in message
> I just moved to the Washington DC area from NJ and am experiencing
> Sprint PCS-type problems in the DC metro area-- no service, failed
> calls, dropped calls, switch to analog etc. In the district itself,
> service is great but when I move just slightly outside the area into
> Maryland (Chevy Chase, Bethesda, etc), I start experiencing these
> problems. Also, when I check my account usage, I get updates that are
> two weeks old. In NJ, I used to be able to get minute usage upto the
> night before. As far as the usage problem goes, it could be because my
> phone is still registered in NJ. Is anyone else experiencing these
> problems as well? To be fair to VZW though, I can sometimes use the
> phone even inside the metro which is not the case with a lot of other
> providers.

"Babolat" <babolat30@aol.com> wrote:

> I just moved to the Washington DC area from NJ and am experiencing
> Sprint PCS-type problems in the DC metro area-- no service, failed
> calls, dropped calls, switch to analog etc. In the district itself,
> service is great but when I move just slightly outside the area into
> Maryland (Chevy Chase, Bethesda, etc), I start experiencing these
> problems.

We were in DC and that part of Maryland late last summer (with v60i phones
on America's Choice, based in Ohio), and we didn't experience any of the
problems you described. Our VZW service was flawless.

--
D.J., N8DO; FMCA 147762
davidjosborn at sbcglobal dot net

Which phone are you using? If that is happening you may want to take it in
to your local VZW store and have them check it out and make sure your
handset is good to go.

"Babolat" <babolat30@aol.com> wrote in message
> I just moved to the Washington DC area from NJ and am experiencing
> Sprint PCS-type problems in the DC metro area-- no service, failed
> calls, dropped calls, switch to analog etc. In the district itself,
> service is great but when I move just slightly outside the area into
> Maryland (Chevy Chase, Bethesda, etc), I start experiencing these
> problems. Also, when I check my account usage, I get updates that are
> two weeks old. In NJ, I used to be able to get minute usage upto the
> night before. As far as the usage problem goes, it could be because my
> phone is still registered in NJ. Is anyone else experiencing these
> problems as well? To be fair to VZW though, I can sometimes use the
> phone even inside the metro which is not the case with a lot of other
> providers.

I live in Fredericksburg and go to the DC area on a regular basis. Was
it a particular tower issue? Or the entire area?

I always have good service in the DC area. Like others have said,
could it be a phone issue?

Dave

On 1 May 2004 14:34:37 -0700, babolat30@aol.com (Babolat) wrote:

>I just moved to the Washington DC area from NJ and am experiencing
>Sprint PCS-type problems in the DC metro area-- no service, failed
>calls, dropped calls, switch to analog etc. In the district itself,
>service is great but when I move just slightly outside the area into
>Maryland (Chevy Chase, Bethesda, etc), I start experiencing these
>problems. Also, when I check my account usage, I get updates that are
>two weeks old. In NJ, I used to be able to get minute usage upto the
>night before. As far as the usage problem goes, it could be because my
>phone is still registered in NJ. Is anyone else experiencing these
>problems as well? To be fair to VZW though, I can sometimes use the
>phone even inside the metro which is not the case with a lot of other
>providers.

I have the older V120c. Initially I had also suspected that it may be
a phone issue. But I happened to go to New Jersey last week and got
flawless reception on the turnpike all the way from the Delaware
Memorial Bridge to Newark and then down the Garden State Parkway to
Atlantic City.

It could however be a tower issue. I have experienced bad service
traveling up and down Wisconsin Avenue, starting from the Friendship
Heights metro station (Chevy Chase) to Bethesda and Rockville. There
are good and bad pockets on this road but I do experience dropped
calls and switch to analog on this road. Maybe my phone is a New
Jersey phone :)