Best MOBO for dv editing?

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
what's the best shoe?
pretty general question, there are many factors that could possibly lead you to the "best" mobo for editing. probably the most definite way is to start at the heart of your soon to be nle system. what capture board do you plan on using? generic firewire? canopus? matrox? pinnacle? one thing i can say though for sure, for editing stay away from 3com nics, bad news for capturing. post a bit more info and i'll be glad to try and help out.

THG; the Jerry Springer of hardware review sites.

goldenk

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Thanks for the reply. I'm building this completely from scratch and didn't even know about the type of capture board to take into consideration. The only thing I do know is that i will be using Adobe premiere for the software. The purpose of the system is to put together 30 & 60 sec. commercial spots for our company, 10 min. presentations and of course home video. We have a sony vcx dr200 3ccd mini dv camera. One of my questions is dual processor vs. raid? Is one more importantthan the other in the realm of dv editing? What os would be better and is it that important?
Do you have some suggestions on capture boards?
Thanks for your help!
tyler

Macabi

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
Hey I am doing the same right now.

I just went through Dazzle Hollywood Dv-Bridge and Pinnacle's Studio Deluxe. This was just a test run on capturing.

I was running on a P3 and only 30gig HD. I managed to burn a short DVD nicely.

So, not just what motherboard is what you are asking. But what system in general from your post. You need to find out what card you want to use! You either spend 200([-peep-]), 500 (getting there) or 1000 (perfect)

You can cut it with the $500.00 ones though

You have to choose from:
Canopus (pricewatch.com)
$454 - DVRex
$514 - DVRaptor
$964 - DVStorm

Matrox
$679 - RT2500

Pinnacle
$466 - DV500
$809 - ProOne
$1174 - DC1000
$1799 - DC2000

That just gives you an idea of what to choose from. There might be some others that I missed. Specially from Matrox? Don't they have more cards?

Lets keep this question going because I am wondering the same as you.

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
yeah, the capture card is the most important thing. you have to decide what you need/want and get the card that best fits that critera as well as price range. the biggest difference in cards, until you get into pro cards like the dvRex or Targa is time. the raptorRT card will give you the same quality as the $1000 cards, but those cards offer a few more bells and whistles as well as greater RT capabilities. right now, canopus seems to have a stronghold in capture hardware. matrox's 2500 card i do believe isn't a full RT board. where the dvstorm is. pinnacle has released their x100 board. 3 cards i would look at right now are the dvStorm, proOne and x100. the dvRex prices you see on pricewatch.com are for addon modules. you will not get a full dvrexRT package until you hit about $2500 and that's most likely just the basic setup(dvrex board, dvrexRT board and software) you will also need 2 pci slots for the Rex. which is another concern depending on how many other cards you plan on having.

dual cpus are more of a benefit than raid. you'll see on average about 30%-40% faster rendering times over a single cpu. so what's your preference for cpus? dual systems from amd and intel put up comparable numbers. the biggest thing for most people is the cost. amd is a considerably cheaper route for dual cpus. i like tyan boards, or supermicro boards (for intel chips). i'm not into overclocking or anything so stability is the main thing for me. tyan and supermicro are known for the great stability and good performance in the server/workstation arena.

dv, being 3.5mb/s rate can be easily handled by a newer (7200rpm) single hdd. i have 3 drives setup in a raid0, to be honest i can't tell the difference between the raid and my OS drive. a couple limited edition WD drives (with the 8mb cache) would do nicely just on the mobo connectors.

for editing, there isn't anything else other than windows 2000 or windowsXP Pro.

so to recap:
-look at dvstorm <A HREF="http://www.canopus.com/ppm_dvstormse.htm" target="_new">here</A>, proone <A HREF="http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPage.asp?Product_ID=471&Langue_ID=7" target="_new">here</A> and x100 <A HREF="http://www.matrox.com/video/products/rtx100/home.cfm" target="_new">here</A>.
-depending on workload dual cpus are defenitely a great asset for editing (in your case yes, it sounds like you'll be doing more than a "hobbyist" tasks).
-tyan mobos for amd/ supermicro for intel
-look at WD's limited edition drives
-win2000 or winXP pro
here is a good forum, bit more oriented towards these things:
<A HREF="http://www.creativecow.com" target="_new">creativecow</A>
other sites to check out with reviews and pricing:
<A HREF="http://www.videoguys.com" target="_new">videoguys</A> and <A HREF="http://www.guygraphics.com" target="_new">guygraphics</A>

also a good way to choose components after a capture card is seeing what's working for the people that are using it. all of those companies mentioned above have forums you can get on, most people will not mind at all sharing their setups.

THG; the Jerry Springer of hardware review sites.

goldenk

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Thanks for the great info. I recently built a server for our office with an Abit kg7 RAID board with AMD Chip. I always prfer AMD b/c of price and, I feel, more stability over intel. I agree with you, no overclocking, just stability. As far as mobo goes i've been looking at the Tyan twin cpu also. Thanks for the info on the other sites.
Tyler

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did the problem with the VIA's southbridge fixed? If not I would not use KG7 for a server. The southbridge might couse data corruption.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, you'll definately want something with a RAID controller, and you'll probably want to use that controller for just the storage drives. You can put the OS and programs on another drive on the main controller. The P4 is the best processor for most video programs, and RDRAM has the highest bandwidth, which will speed up video processing simply by accessing the cached portion of the video more quickly.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>