Possible wireless slot?

I have a pavilion laptop, ze5185, that has an easily accessible panel on the
bottom-front that on opening shows an empty slot, similar to a memory slot,
for what I think may be for a wireless module. Is it possible I can get
this module and just plug it in rather than having to get one that plugs
into one of the PCMCIA slots?

Richard Doss wrote:
> I have a pavilion laptop, ze5185, that has an easily accessible panel
> on the bottom-front that on opening shows an empty slot, similar to a
> memory slot, for what I think may be for a wireless module. Is it
> possible I can get this module and just plug it in rather than having
> to get one that plugs into one of the PCMCIA slots?

Take a good look at the board. If it is like many other Pavilions, it
is truly empty of any mounting hardware for a mini-PCI card, even though
the door has a Canadian radio tag. It's just Daewoo's way of reducing
cost for the laptop case.

"Richard Doss" <rtdoss@comcast.net> skrev i en meddelelse
> I have a pavilion laptop, ze5185, that has an easily accessible panel on
the
> bottom-front that on opening shows an empty slot, similar to a memory
slot,
> for what I think may be for a wireless module. Is it possible I can get
> this module and just plug it in rather than having to get one that plugs
> into one of the PCMCIA slots?

Is it the mini-PCI slot? What does it says in the manual?
If its the mini-PCI, you can use a HP W500 wireless LAN-card in it.

--
Esben

Open the slot and see if there are any cables. To make the WLAN work you
need the WLAN miniPCI module and a set of two antennas that go up into the
display panel.... if no cables...no workable WLAN even if you add the
miniPCI module.

"Richard Doss" <rtdoss@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I have a pavilion laptop, ze5185, that has an easily accessible panel on
the
> bottom-front that on opening shows an empty slot, similar to a memory
slot,
> for what I think may be for a wireless module. Is it possible I can get
> this module and just plug it in rather than having to get one that plugs
> into one of the PCMCIA slots?

alpine

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002

Chances are you can put in a mini-pci wireless card. Chances are also though
that you'll need to install the wireless antenna too. I did this on my
nx9005. I ordered wi-fi antenna kit # F4665-60937 from HP's web site for
$9.75 (plus about $12 S/H). You will have to completely disassemble the
laptop since the antenna runs under the motherboard. I had an extra D-Link
DWL-520+ desktop PCI wi-fi card lying around (TIP: there is a mini-pci wi-fi
card inside the metal protective cover (removes easily with two screws).
There were several advantages to using this one, 1) it was basically free
since I already had it and wasn't using it, 2) it communicates with the rest
of my wi-fi at 44 MBPS for the price of Wireless-B, 3) it was much less
expensive than the actual wi-fi card that HP sells for the laptop.
Disadvantages are: 1) there isn't a wi-fi status light and button on the
front to quickly disable it for power save (when I want to disable it I have
to go into Device Manager and disable it). I would suspect that most (if not
all) of the rest of the desktop wi-fi cards are similar in that they also
are actually a mini-pci card under a protective cover.

I had to unsolder the single antenna wire from the mini-pci card, but the
card has two mounting areas for two antennas (which the laptop antenna has).
I then soldered a piece of wire into each of the two holes about 1/8" long
so that the laptop antenna had something to plug in to. Finally, I soldered
the antenna jack directly to the wire that I soldered to the mini-pci so
that there wasn't a chance of it falling off. End result is I now have a 44
MBPS built in wi-fi connection to my home wi-fi (although standard
Wireless-B speeds to all other non-D-link wi-fi stations) for about $21.00.

==================
Due to an excessive amount of spam, if you want to send me an e-mail put
eniplA in the subject if you want me to see it.

"Richard Doss" <rtdoss@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I have a pavilion laptop, ze5185, that has an easily accessible panel on
the
> bottom-front that on opening shows an empty slot, similar to a memory
slot,
> for what I think may be for a wireless module. Is it possible I can get
> this module and just plug it in rather than having to get one that plugs
> into one of the PCMCIA slots?

TRENDING THREADS