Sign in with
Your question

mount point?

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
April 8, 2004 12:37:06 AM

can i access a hard drive that is ntfs from mandrake 10? the hard drake app recognises it, but i cant get to any files in it. i assume that i need to make a mount point, correct? a mount point is equivalent to a drive letter assignment right? can i do that without losing any data on the drive and be able to bring it back to a windows system without losing any data?

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring (optional) cheating death!

More about : mount point

April 8, 2004 1:07:55 AM

You definitely can. Write support is shaky, so it's not recommended you try to write to the drive.

cd /mnt
mkdir windows_c (or whatever you want to call it)

then edit your /etc/fstab file and add the following line

/dev/WINDOWS /mnt/windows_c ntfs ro 0 0

where WINDOWS is the device name for you windows partition (something like hda2 or the like). The first entry refers to the device, the second entry is the mount point, the third entry is the filesystem, the fourth entry passes arguments (here we're mounting it read-only), and the last two refer to a dump/pass used for filesystem checks and whatnot.

This will automount the partition on every boot from now on. If you just want to mount it once, then just make the directory windows_c in /mnt and then:

mount -t ntfs /dev/WINDOWS /mnt/windows_c

or if you've already edited your /etc/fstab, you can just do a:

mount /dev/WINDOWS

as linux will look in your fstab to see what to do with that device. Of course WINDOWS refers to the actual device name again.

s signature has been formatted to fit your scr
April 8, 2004 1:08:42 AM

Oh, I'm assuming that mandraked has compiled ntfs support into their kernel. I know it's available, but don't know 100% for sure if they've enabled it. Try it and see. If not, you'll need a kernel recompile.

Related resources
April 8, 2004 9:31:32 PM

i dont have a clue how that is going to do anything. i was never given the chance to give the hard drive any kind of name. harddrake calls it hdb. heres what i did
[root@penguin mnt]# mkdir hdb
[root@penguin mnt]# cd..
[root@penguin /]# mount -t ntfs /dev/hdb /mnt/hdb
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb,
or too many mounted file systems
and thats what happend.

April 8, 2004 11:57:33 PM

You don't give it a name. Hard drake calls the DISK hdb. Okay, that's some info we'll need. Now you need to know the partitioning scheme. At a terminal type:

fdisk hdb (don't worry, this won't erase anything)

When fdisk comes up, hit

p

to display the partition info. You should be able to tell which is the ntfs partition. It may be hdb1, hdb2, hdb3... something like that depending on which partition it is. My initial guess would be that it's hdb1.

Hit

q

to exit fdisk. Next cd to /mnt and make a mount point. You already did that by calling it hdb, but that's not a very descriptive name. Sure, it's fine, but you might want to call it windows or win_c or ntfs or something. Just a suggestion. Let's say you did a mkdir windows in /mnt and are going to mount there. Then do a:

mount -t ntfs /dev/hdb1 /mnt/windows

That should do it.

April 9, 2004 12:01:56 AM

ok, that worked, i did that earlyer and thought i posted it but it didnt go through i guess. now my problem is how do i set the permisions on it so i can access it through another username? i tried chmod but i didnt get it right or somthing cause it didnt work. also, how would i go about mapping to a windows system? i want to be able to easily open a shortcut and add some files to a play list, not having to actually copy the files over to the linux box.

April 9, 2004 12:12:58 AM

In the /etc/fstab file change the

ro

portion to say:

ro, umask=0555

and that should allow all users and groups to read the filesystem, but not to write to it.

!