Read!! Is the A2A266 a piece of #%^# of what?

rwburbage

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
I have been trying to get help on this new AMD system for months. It experiences random lockups in any applications since it was put together... The lockups started in FEB02 were rare (once a day) and random, but very annoying. The system was setup with no overclocking, no custom settings at all. Processor was setup stock running at 1.5GHZ, memory at SPD. stock, default etc...

The components: AMD 1800+, ASUS A7A266 bios1011, Crucial 512mbDDR, NvidiaG4 128 or ATI AllinWonder128, SCSI 2940u2, IDE disabled.

Now, the system is experiencing more hangs and lockups in the last couple of weeks. System has lockups on boot and running applications, System will try and boot on cold power-on, Post will finish and just before WinME logo would show up the cursor will show up in the top left corner and flash. Reset will boot only into safe mode, then restart system and sometimes it will boot normally. Sometimes, I have to repeat the process until finally it boots. Then the system will randomly hang at any time. Any 3d game will normally hang it up quicker(Quake3, MOH, FS2002). Bios settings were reduced to all the slowest settings possible you so I can write this letter which I save every 2 minutes.

I called AMD, they said that the A7A266 is simply not on the approved list of boards!! But if you want, send us your chipy and we testy it for you. I talked to ASUS about that. They said. What? Your kidding! Why did they say that. ASUS techs say that Crucial memory is no good for their boards. Go out and buy more memory. Corsair, Mushkin, Unigen, SmartM?. I've had 3 different 512 sticks from Crucial(I like these guys, they try very hard to help the customer!). 2 sticks were Micron chips and the other Samsung. No luck. Crucial techs don't understand why ASUS would say that their memory would not work, but they admid that sometimes with this board that there are incompatable chips! Computers SUCK! But the games are great!!

I have patched every device patchable, ALI 1.90 AGP, Bios is current. G4 works in another system fine. The system was reduced to the bare system. Video, AMD, A7a266, Adaptec 2940us. Still same problem. Adaptec 2940u2 and drives were migrated from and old system and ran for 3 years. Adaptec drive system was removed. Spent more money on a IDE hard drive and performed a quick OS load. No fixy the problem Jo! I think (maybe you could agree also) that the system problem is within the MoBd and the Processor. But if a processor has a problem, the system just won't boot or do anything!! Looks like it's the ASUS. I called and talked to ASUS more about a swap out. They said sure! Send in the board and we will testy and send back to you fixy! Whatever. What about a I give you credit card and you send me a tested board. No, we have has lots of losses from losers that give credit card numbers that work but then cancel when the return doesn't arrive back to them!! Great, now I have to suffer because of these losers. Tell your management that I will just frizbee the board in the dumpster and buy from another vendor!! Yeaaaa. Problem solved.

Also I had a problem with their Tech support over a BIOS chip and couple of months back... ASUS has ads on the mobds webpages about the logo creater. I tried that. They don't specify a file size in the instructions. Becareful. The logo .bmp has to be very small. The makefile generator will take your oversized .bmp with no errors. And the bios load program will load the new file in with no size checking. I corrupted the BIOS and the system was dead. I called Tech support and and proved to them that the error was theirs by not simply making a note in the instructions or on the website or provide any error checking by either program. The end result was that I has to pay for a new chip and shipping $40!! But they said they would pass it on to their engineers in TW about the issue. Is it obvious I have a problem with ASUS?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Lots of BIOS problems with that board. It's not the chipset, because Iwill doesn't have these problems. I think Epox also has a board with it, and no problems. Anyway, you might want to go with an older BIOS revision? I remember the 1004 was the best for a while, but don't remember if it's XP compatable.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

tstc101

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2002
Hello,
The problem might be the power supply. Sometimes a cheap power supply will give you all kinds of problems. Usually lockups and screen freezes. But unless you have an extra power supply hanging around you won't really know. It is very common for vedors to blame the other vendor, I see that all time.

Uh.. What's this button do?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, you're going to hate me for saying this, but:

ALi makes a good chipset, look at the success of the Iwill XP333-R.

OK, don't throw anything at me, SiS also makes a nice chipset that is VERY inexpensive, look at the MSI 745 Ultra.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

rwburbage

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
Thanks for the help. I mentioned everything but the supply. When I was about to build the amd system I noticed all the concern about the power supply requirements. So I hunted down the Antec 1240 case with a 400W supply. Having 4 SCSI drives in the system requires some power and room for heat cooling. I added all 6 fans to the case also.