application files saved as shortcuts

helping a friend with a gateway P4 running Win XP and IE 6. recently
whenever he tries to download an application file it is saved as an IE
shortcut and can't be opened. Seems to be a hidden .URL at the end of
file name. I tried downloading the same files from the same sites
using WIN 98SE and IE 5.5 and have no problem. Therefore I would have
to assume it has something to do with a XP or IE 6 setting. Any ideas?

Ron
7 answers Last reply
More about application files saved shortcuts

    Have you watched him download it?

    http://www.smh.com.au/yoursay/2004/06/11/index.html
    "ron" <merrittr@a-znet.com> wrote in message news:40CAD7E2.27BD2F12@a-znet.com...
    > helping a friend with a gateway P4 running Win XP and IE 6. recently
    > whenever he tries to download an application file it is saved as an IE
    > shortcut and can't be opened. Seems to be a hidden .URL at the end of
    > file name. I tried downloading the same files from the same sites
    > using WIN 98SE and IE 5.5 and have no problem. Therefore I would have
    > to assume it has something to do with a XP or IE 6 setting. Any ideas?
    >
    > Ron

    And, that would help, how? Do you have something to offer
    or not, Cindy?
    Whenever you have nothing to say, you almost always say it!

    "Pop" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > And, that would help, how? Do you have something to offer
    > or not, Cindy?
    > Whenever you have nothing to say, you almost always say it!

    You know, you seem to have this incredible problem with David, yet you don't
    offer any help while complaining about his puirported lack thereof. Why
    don't you just fûçk off if you don't have anything to offer, other than you
    wanting to harass others you accuse of doing the very same thing you do,
    that you say you deplore?

    Pop wrote:
    > And, that would help, how? Do you have something to offer
    > or not, Cindy?
    > Whenever you have nothing to say, you almost always say it!

    Pop wrote this whilst looking in the mirror, obviously.

    John wrote:
    > "Pop" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    >> And, that would help, how? Do you have something to offer
    >> or not, Cindy?
    >> Whenever you have nothing to say, you almost always say it!
    >
    > You know, you seem to have this incredible problem with David, yet
    > you don't offer any help while complaining about his puirported lack
    > thereof. Why don't you just fûçk off if you don't have anything to
    > offer, other than you wanting to harass others you accuse of doing
    > the very same thing you do, that you say you deplore?

    Because he's a troll.

    "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in
    message news:40cb2ba0$1_3@127.0.0.1...
    > John wrote:
    > > "Pop" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > >> And, that would help, how? Do you have something to
    offer
    > >> or not, Cindy?
    > >> Whenever you have nothing to say, you almost always say
    it!

    > > You know, you seem to have this incredible problem with
    David, yet
    > > you don't offer any help while complaining about his
    puirported lack
    > > thereof. Why don't you just fûçk off if you don't have
    anything to
    > > offer, other than you wanting to harass others you
    accuse of doing
    > > the very same thing you do, that you say you deplore?
    >
    > Because he's a troll.

    Awww, gee, that hurts my feelings. Not true, I don't troll:
    I do gripe at candyasses though with their fwords and
    misinformation and outright insulting to newbies attitude he
    has. If youi consider this trolling, then that;s your
    problem not mine.
    Pop

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 06:16:03 -0400, ron wrote:

    > helping a friend with a gateway P4 running Win XP and IE 6. recently
    > whenever he tries to download an application file it is saved as an IE
    > shortcut and can't be opened. Seems to be a hidden .URL at the end of
    > file name. I tried downloading the same files from the same sites
    > using WIN 98SE and IE 5.5 and have no problem. Therefore I would have
    > to assume it has something to do with a XP or IE 6 setting. Any ideas?
    >
    > Ron

    Ron, it might help if you watch your friend download as David suggested.
    You've confirmed for yourself that the games are accessible. He may be
    doing something differently than you. Example, trying a right click Save As
    at the wrong time.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User