Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

application files saved as shortcuts

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
June 12, 2004 10:16:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

helping a friend with a gateway P4 running Win XP and IE 6. recently
whenever he tries to download an application file it is saved as an IE
shortcut and can't be opened. Seems to be a hidden .URL at the end of
file name. I tried downloading the same files from the same sites
using WIN 98SE and IE 5.5 and have no problem. Therefore I would have
to assume it has something to do with a XP or IE 6 setting. Any ideas?

Ron
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 1:14:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Have you watched him download it?

--
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.smh.com.au/yoursay/2004/06/11/index.html
"ron" <merrittr@a-znet.com> wrote in message news:40CAD7E2.27BD2F12@a-znet.com...
> helping a friend with a gateway P4 running Win XP and IE 6. recently
> whenever he tries to download an application file it is saved as an IE
> shortcut and can't be opened. Seems to be a hidden .URL at the end of
> file name. I tried downloading the same files from the same sites
> using WIN 98SE and IE 5.5 and have no problem. Therefore I would have
> to assume it has something to do with a XP or IE 6 setting. Any ideas?
>
> Ron
>
June 13, 2004 1:14:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

And, that would help, how? Do you have something to offer
or not, Cindy?
Whenever you have nothing to say, you almost always say it!


"David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:o AnBH6GUEHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
Have you watched him download it?

--
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.smh.com.au/yoursay/2004/06/11/index.html
"ron" <merrittr@a-znet.com> wrote in message
news:40CAD7E2.27BD2F12@a-znet.com...
> helping a friend with a gateway P4 running Win XP and IE
6. recently
> whenever he tries to download an application file it is
saved as an IE
> shortcut and can't be opened. Seems to be a hidden .URL
at the end of
> file name. I tried downloading the same files from the
same sites
> using WIN 98SE and IE 5.5 and have no problem. Therefore
I would have
> to assume it has something to do with a XP or IE 6
setting. Any ideas?
>
> Ron
>
Related resources
June 13, 2004 1:14:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Pop" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
news:%23rnOVPHUEHA.2324@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> And, that would help, how? Do you have something to offer
> or not, Cindy?
> Whenever you have nothing to say, you almost always say it!

You know, you seem to have this incredible problem with David, yet you don't
offer any help while complaining about his puirported lack thereof. Why
don't you just fûçk off if you don't have anything to offer, other than you
wanting to harass others you accuse of doing the very same thing you do,
that you say you deplore?
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 1:14:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Pop wrote:
> And, that would help, how? Do you have something to offer
> or not, Cindy?
> Whenever you have nothing to say, you almost always say it!

Pop wrote this whilst looking in the mirror, obviously.
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 1:14:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

John wrote:
> "Pop" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> news:%23rnOVPHUEHA.2324@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> And, that would help, how? Do you have something to offer
>> or not, Cindy?
>> Whenever you have nothing to say, you almost always say it!
>
> You know, you seem to have this incredible problem with David, yet
> you don't offer any help while complaining about his puirported lack
> thereof. Why don't you just fûçk off if you don't have anything to
> offer, other than you wanting to harass others you accuse of doing
> the very same thing you do, that you say you deplore?

Because he's a troll.
June 13, 2004 1:14:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in
message news:40cb2ba0$1_3@127.0.0.1...
> John wrote:
> > "Pop" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> > news:%23rnOVPHUEHA.2324@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >> And, that would help, how? Do you have something to
offer
> >> or not, Cindy?
> >> Whenever you have nothing to say, you almost always say
it!
> >
> > You know, you seem to have this incredible problem with
David, yet
> > you don't offer any help while complaining about his
puirported lack
> > thereof. Why don't you just fûçk off if you don't have
anything to
> > offer, other than you wanting to harass others you
accuse of doing
> > the very same thing you do, that you say you deplore?
>
> Because he's a troll.
>
>
Awww, gee, that hurts my feelings. Not true, I don't troll:
I do gripe at candyasses though with their fwords and
misinformation and outright insulting to newbies attitude he
has. If youi consider this trolling, then that;s your
problem not mine.
Pop
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 1:06:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 06:16:03 -0400, ron wrote:

> helping a friend with a gateway P4 running Win XP and IE 6. recently
> whenever he tries to download an application file it is saved as an IE
> shortcut and can't be opened. Seems to be a hidden .URL at the end of
> file name. I tried downloading the same files from the same sites
> using WIN 98SE and IE 5.5 and have no problem. Therefore I would have
> to assume it has something to do with a XP or IE 6 setting. Any ideas?
>
> Ron

Ron, it might help if you watch your friend download as David suggested.
You've confirmed for yourself that the games are accessible. He may be
doing something differently than you. Example, trying a right click Save As
at the wrong time.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
!