Sign in with
Your question

Upgraded mobo/CPU/video card...now what?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Graphics Cards
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
July 18, 2002 6:09:06 PM

Greetings,

I am attempting to upgrade my computer system. I have purchased the following items:

ASUS A7S333 board
Athlon XP 1900 retail
256mb PC2100 DDR memory (2x128mb)
Xtasy TI 4200 128mb video card.
Antec 350 watt case (80841)

What I am keeping:

Plextor Plexwriter 12x10x32 CD-RW
Acer 56x CD-ROM
Mistumi 1.44mb floppy
IBM Desktar 20GB HDD
SoundBlaster Live! Value sound card
Modem

I've got everything installed in the case, added 2 extra front-pulling air (the case has two fans blowing out the back), BUT HAVE NOT CONNECTED THE HARD DRIVE.

I've powered up the system and I can get to the BIOS screen. That is where I've stopped. I would like to keep my OS (Windowns 98) until I can upgrade and don't want to lose the information on the hard drive.

Is there a step-by-step "idiot's guide to your BIOS" that I can use? I've found several on the internet, but are several years old. I guess I'm just "scared" as to what to do next. I would really like to learn how to do this myself (given the blatantly obscene prices I've been quoted to upgrade my system), but I am afraid I'll screw something up.

If anyone can offer any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

More about : upgraded mobo cpu video card

a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2002 8:12:00 PM

I would start it up and go into safe mode by hitting the "F8" key just before it hits the windows loading screen. Then when in safe mode, delete everything from device manager. Then I would start it off a boot floppy and type "mkdir c:\driver" to make a new directory on C:
to put your drivers in. Then I would copy all the drivers off the installation CD to that directory. When it reboots, it will detect all your new devices. When it ask for the drivers, direct it to "c:\driver" and you're all set.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>
Related resources
!