4 gig file limit

June 12, 2004 2:59:55 PM

I can't put a dvd file on my hard drive because of a 4
gig limit....can I do this without changing from fat32 to
ntsf? thanks

More about : gig file limit

Anonymous
June 12, 2004 5:20:54 PM

Ray wrote:
> I can't put a dvd file on my hard drive because of a 4
> gig limit....can I do this without changing from fat32 to
> ntsf? thanks

No.
Go with the better file system.

--
<- Shenan ->
June 13, 2004 1:03:44 AM

Hi Ray,

No can do without converting to NTFS. FAT32 comes with a file size limit of
4GB minus a few bytes. This is a limitation of this file system, there is no
workaround.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

"Ray" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I can't put a dvd file on my hard drive because of a 4
> gig limit....can I do this without changing from fat32 to
> ntsf? thanks
June 13, 2004 5:33:22 AM

well it really depends, if you're talking about copying a
dvd movie to your hard disk and you only have 4 gigs IT
IS POSSIBLE! I recommend software such as InterVideo DVD
Copy which you can find at:

http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/InterVideoDVDCopyPlatinum...
ofile.jsp

Software like or simaliar to DVD Copy compresses the dvd
movie into a smaller form preserving the quality. Most
dvd movies usually average around 700mb after this
conversion. The only downfall is that it is a long
process to convert, so you better have a powerful
computer!

Hope this information was helpful.
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 11:29:07 AM

Anytime you reduce the size, you also foresake quality. The question here
was not whether you can reduce the size of the file, but rather if there was
a way of copying a file greater than 4GB to a FAT32 volume. There isn't.

--

"kirsty" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> well it really depends, if you're talking about copying a
> dvd movie to your hard disk and you only have 4 gigs IT
> IS POSSIBLE! I recommend software such as InterVideo DVD
> Copy which you can find at:
>
> http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/InterVideoDVDCopyPlatinum...
> ofile.jsp
>
> Software like or simaliar to DVD Copy compresses the dvd
> movie into a smaller form preserving the quality. Most
> dvd movies usually average around 700mb after this
> conversion. The only downfall is that it is a long
> process to convert, so you better have a powerful
> computer!
>
> Hope this information was helpful.
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 7:07:05 PM