4 gig file limit

I can't put a dvd file on my hard drive because of a 4
gig limit....can I do this without changing from fat32 to
ntsf? thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about file limit

    Ray wrote:
    > I can't put a dvd file on my hard drive because of a 4
    > gig limit....can I do this without changing from fat32 to
    > ntsf? thanks

    No.
    Go with the better file system.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Hi Ray,

    No can do without converting to NTFS. FAT32 comes with a file size limit of
    4GB minus a few bytes. This is a limitation of this file system, there is no
    workaround.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Ray" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I can't put a dvd file on my hard drive because of a 4
    > gig limit....can I do this without changing from fat32 to
    > ntsf? thanks

    well it really depends, if you're talking about copying a
    dvd movie to your hard disk and you only have 4 gigs IT
    IS POSSIBLE! I recommend software such as InterVideo DVD
    Copy which you can find at:

    http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/InterVideoDVDCopyPlatinum_Pr
    ofile.jsp

    Software like or simaliar to DVD Copy compresses the dvd
    movie into a smaller form preserving the quality. Most
    dvd movies usually average around 700mb after this
    conversion. The only downfall is that it is a long
    process to convert, so you better have a powerful
    computer!

    Hope this information was helpful.

    Anytime you reduce the size, you also foresake quality. The question here
    was not whether you can reduce the size of the file, but rather if there was
    a way of copying a file greater than 4GB to a FAT32 volume. There isn't.

    --

    "kirsty" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > well it really depends, if you're talking about copying a
    > dvd movie to your hard disk and you only have 4 gigs IT
    > IS POSSIBLE! I recommend software such as InterVideo DVD
    > Copy which you can find at:
    >
    > http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/InterVideoDVDCopyPlatinum_Pr
    > ofile.jsp
    >
    > Software like or simaliar to DVD Copy compresses the dvd
    > movie into a smaller form preserving the quality. Most
    > dvd movies usually average around 700mb after this
    > conversion. The only downfall is that it is a long
    > process to convert, so you better have a powerful
    > computer!
    >
    > Hope this information was helpful.

    No!

    --
    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Ray" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I can't put a dvd file on my hard drive because of a 4
    > gig limit....can I do this without changing from fat32 to
    > ntsf? thanks

Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP