Defragmenter

June 12, 2004 11:30:28 PM

Hi,
I was wondering why there are so many de-fragmented files?
How can I fix them so when I de fragment the hard drive , they are
fewer in number?
I am running xp pro.
Thanks in advance
Have sense,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

More about : defragmenter

Anonymous
June 13, 2004 12:06:33 AM

Anytime you or your system opens or creates a file it gets fragmented.

Why volumes become fragmented

Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:v7mmc0dhdekgl8090pgt44kgmq7juiki4o@4ax.com,
mctiger <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi,
> I was wondering why there are so many de-fragmented files?
> How can I fix them so when I de fragment the hard drive , they are
> fewer in number?
> I am running xp pro.
> Thanks in advance
> Have sense,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 1:33:11 AM

Hi,
Thank you for the quick response. I found allot of useful
information. The only thing is how to remove unwanted fragments.
Thanks again.

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:06:33 GMT, "Wesley Vogel"
<123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

>Anytime you or your system opens or creates a file it gets fragmented.
>
>Why volumes become fragmented
>http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...

Have sense,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
June 13, 2004 1:33:12 AM

Which fragments are the unwanted ones ?

xp/all/proddocs/en-us/defrag_why_fragmented.mspx

>Have sense,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief
will come.
>.

Anonymous
June 13, 2004 5:24:51 AM

I'm not sure that I understand the question.

Either delete those files or run Defrag.

Using Disk Defragmenter

Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:5htmc0hgofajk2on215bgff31h2d06sovk@4ax.com,
mctiger <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi,
> Thank you for the quick response. I found allot of useful
> information. The only thing is how to remove unwanted fragments.
> Thanks again.
>

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:06:33 GMT, "Wesley Vogel"
> <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Anytime you or your system opens or creates a file it gets
>> fragmented.
>>
>> Why volumes become fragmented

> Have sense,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
June 13, 2004 11:22:59 AM

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 01:24:51 GMT, "Wesley Vogel"
<123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

> I'm not sure that I understand the question.
>
> Either delete those files or run Defrag.
>
> Using Disk Defragmenter
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...

Perhaps you could point the poster to a URL which can help
explain the proper care of XP? Win98 was scandisk & defrag,
XP is checkdisk & defrag?

June 13, 2004 12:41:57 PM

Run Disk Defragmenter as the last operation in a housekeeping routine!

A suggested routine might include:

1. In Outlook Express empty your Deleted Items folder.
2. In Outlook Express run File, Folder, Compact All whilst OFFLINE.
3. Run Disk Cleanup. Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Cleanup with
Temporary Internet Files, Offline Web Pages (optional), and Recycle Bin selected for
deletion. If you have more than one drive / partition you may need to do this operation for
each drive / partition.
4. Remove Cookies. Start, Control Panel, Internet Options, General, Delete Cookies.
5. Run Disk Defragmenter.

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"mctiger" <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:5htmc0hgofajk2on215bgff31h2d06sovk@4ax.com...
> Hi,
> Thank you for the quick response. I found allot of useful
> information. The only thing is how to remove unwanted fragments.
> Thanks again.
>

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:06:33 GMT, "Wesley Vogel"
> <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >Anytime you or your system opens or creates a file it gets fragmented.
> >
> >Why volumes become fragmented
> >http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...
>
> Have sense,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 3:35:09 PM

Hi,
When I run Disk Defragmenter, There seems to be allot of fragmented
files. I ran Disk Defragmenter 3x last night.
It speed-up the computer. But still allot of fragmented files are
there. Under report, It shows tiny personal firewall temp log files.
So I removed them. I only have 1 hard drive without partitions.
Thanks for your info.

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 08:41:57 +0100, "Gerry Cornell"
<gcjc@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Run Disk Defragmenter as the last operation in a housekeeping routine!
>
>A suggested routine might include:
>
>1. In Outlook Express empty your Deleted Items folder.
>2. In Outlook Express run File, Folder, Compact All whilst OFFLINE.
>3. Run Disk Cleanup. Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Cleanup with
>Temporary Internet Files, Offline Web Pages (optional), and Recycle Bin selected for
>deletion. If you have more than one drive / partition you may need to do this operation for
>each drive / partition.
>4. Remove Cookies. Start, Control Panel, Internet Options, General, Delete Cookies.
>5. Run Disk Defragmenter.
>

>~~~~~~
>

>Hope this helps.
>
>Gerry
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>FCA
>
>Stourport, Worcs, England
>Enquire, plan and execute.
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Please tell the newsgroup how any
>suggested solution worked for you.
>http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>"mctiger" <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:5htmc0hgofajk2on215bgff31h2d06sovk@4ax.com...
>> Hi,
>> Thank you for the quick response. I found allot of useful
>> information. The only thing is how to remove unwanted fragments.
>> Thanks again.
>>

>> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:06:33 GMT, "Wesley Vogel"
>> <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Anytime you or your system opens or creates a file it gets fragmented.
>> >
>> >Why volumes become fragmented
>> >http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...
>>
>> Have sense,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

Have sense,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 3:35:10 PM

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 11:35:09 GMT, mctiger wrote:

> Hi,
> When I run Disk Defragmenter, There seems to be allot of fragmented
> files. I ran Disk Defragmenter 3x last night.
> It speed-up the computer. But still allot of fragmented files are
> there. Under report, It shows tiny personal firewall temp log files.
> So I removed them. I only have 1 hard drive without partitions.
> Thanks for your info.

Defragmenting tools cannot move files that are in use. Even using a boot
time defragmenter (these are third party tools such as Perfect Disk), you
will still end up with files that are fragmented.

To minimize the number of fragmented files, run disk defragmenter a few
times in a row.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Look this article over.

COMPUTER HEALTH
http://www.aumha.org/a/health.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:1meoc057ihhfem6dc34a8ghf38lil6u7po@4ax.com,
mctiger <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi,
> When I run Disk Defragmenter, There seems to be allot of fragmented
> files. I ran Disk Defragmenter 3x last night.
> It speed-up the computer. But still allot of fragmented files are
> there. Under report, It shows tiny personal firewall temp log files.
> So I removed them. I only have 1 hard drive without partitions.
> Thanks for your info.
>
> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 08:41:57 +0100, "Gerry Cornell"
> <gcjc@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> Run Disk Defragmenter as the last operation in a housekeeping
>> routine!
>>
>> A suggested routine might include:
>>
>> 1. In Outlook Express empty your Deleted Items folder.
>> 2. In Outlook Express run File, Folder, Compact All whilst OFFLINE.
>> 3. Run Disk Cleanup. Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools,
>> Disk Cleanup with
>> Temporary Internet Files, Offline Web Pages (optional), and Recycle
>> Bin selected for
>> deletion. If you have more than one drive / partition you may need
>> to do this operation for
>> each drive / partition.
>> 4. Remove Cookies. Start, Control Panel, Internet Options, General,
>> Delete Cookies.
>> 5. Run Disk Defragmenter.
>>

>> ~~~~~~
>>

>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Gerry
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> FCA
>>
>> Stourport, Worcs, England
>> Enquire, plan and execute.
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> Please tell the newsgroup how any
>> suggested solution worked for you.
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>> "mctiger" <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> Thank you for the quick response. I found allot of useful
>>> information. The only thing is how to remove unwanted fragments.
>>> Thanks again.

>>> Have sense,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
>
> Have sense,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 11:27:29 PM

Files That You Cannot Defragment

~~~~~~