Defragmenter

Hi,
I was wondering why there are so many de-fragmented files?
How can I fix them so when I de fragment the hard drive , they are
fewer in number?
I am running xp pro.
Thanks in advance
Have sense,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
10 answers Last reply
More about defragmenter

    Anytime you or your system opens or creates a file it gets fragmented.

    Why volumes become fragmented
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/defrag_why_fragmented.mspx

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:v7mmc0dhdekgl8090pgt44kgmq7juiki4o@4ax.com,
    mctiger <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi,
    > I was wondering why there are so many de-fragmented files?
    > How can I fix them so when I de fragment the hard drive , they are
    > fewer in number?
    > I am running xp pro.
    > Thanks in advance
    > Have sense,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    Hi,
    Thank you for the quick response. I found allot of useful
    information. The only thing is how to remove unwanted fragments.
    Thanks again.

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:06:33 GMT, "Wesley Vogel"
    <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Anytime you or your system opens or creates a file it gets fragmented.
    >
    >Why volumes become fragmented
    >http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/defrag_why_fragmented.mspx

    Have sense,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    Which fragments are the unwanted ones ?

    I'm not sure that I understand the question.

    Either delete those files or run Defrag.

    Using Disk Defragmenter

    In news:5htmc0hgofajk2on215bgff31h2d06sovk@4ax.com,
    mctiger <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi,
    > Thank you for the quick response. I found allot of useful
    > information. The only thing is how to remove unwanted fragments.
    > Thanks again.
    >

    > On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:06:33 GMT, "Wesley Vogel"
    > <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Anytime you or your system opens or creates a file it gets
    >> fragmented.
    >>
    >> Why volumes become fragmented

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/defrag_why_fragmented.mspx

    > Have sense,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 01:24:51 GMT, "Wesley Vogel"
    <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

    > I'm not sure that I understand the question.
    >
    > Either delete those files or run Defrag.
    >
    > Using Disk Defragmenter
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/defrag_why_fragmented.mspx

    Perhaps you could point the poster to a URL which can help
    explain the proper care of XP? Win98 was scandisk & defrag,
    XP is checkdisk & defrag?

    Run Disk Defragmenter as the last operation in a housekeeping routine!

    A suggested routine might include:

    1. In Outlook Express empty your Deleted Items folder.
    2. In Outlook Express run File, Folder, Compact All whilst OFFLINE.
    3. Run Disk Cleanup. Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Cleanup with
    Temporary Internet Files, Offline Web Pages (optional), and Recycle Bin selected for
    deletion. If you have more than one drive / partition you may need to do this operation for
    each drive / partition.
    4. Remove Cookies. Start, Control Panel, Internet Options, General, Delete Cookies.
    5. Run Disk Defragmenter.

    ~~~~~~

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "mctiger" <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:5htmc0hgofajk2on215bgff31h2d06sovk@4ax.com...
    > Hi,
    > Thank you for the quick response. I found allot of useful
    > information. The only thing is how to remove unwanted fragments.
    > Thanks again.
    >

    > On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:06:33 GMT, "Wesley Vogel"
    > <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Anytime you or your system opens or creates a file it gets fragmented.
    > >
    > >Why volumes become fragmented
    > >http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/defrag_why_fragmented.mspx
    >
    > Have sense,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    Hi,
    When I run Disk Defragmenter, There seems to be allot of fragmented
    files. I ran Disk Defragmenter 3x last night.
    It speed-up the computer. But still allot of fragmented files are
    there. Under report, It shows tiny personal firewall temp log files.
    So I removed them. I only have 1 hard drive without partitions.
    Thanks for your info.

    On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 11:35:09 GMT, mctiger wrote:

    > Hi,
    > When I run Disk Defragmenter, There seems to be allot of fragmented
    > files. I ran Disk Defragmenter 3x last night.
    > It speed-up the computer. But still allot of fragmented files are
    > there. Under report, It shows tiny personal firewall temp log files.
    > So I removed them. I only have 1 hard drive without partitions.
    > Thanks for your info.

    Defragmenting tools cannot move files that are in use. Even using a boot
    time defragmenter (these are third party tools such as Perfect Disk), you
    will still end up with files that are fragmented.

    To minimize the number of fragmented files, run disk defragmenter a few
    times in a row.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Look this article over.

    COMPUTER HEALTH
    http://www.aumha.org/a/health.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:1meoc057ihhfem6dc34a8ghf38lil6u7po@4ax.com,

    Files That You Cannot Defragment
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_tro_hgle.asp

    --

    ~~~~~~

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "mctiger" <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1meoc057ihhfem6dc34a8ghf38lil6u7po@4ax.com...
    > Hi,
    > When I run Disk Defragmenter, There seems to be allot of fragmented
    > files. I ran Disk Defragmenter 3x last night.
    > It speed-up the computer. But still allot of fragmented files are
    > there. Under report, It shows tiny personal firewall temp log files.
    > So I removed them. I only have 1 hard drive without partitions.
    > Thanks for your info.
    >
    > On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 08:41:57 +0100, "Gerry Cornell"
    > <gcjc@btinternet.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Run Disk Defragmenter as the last operation in a housekeeping routine!
    > >
    > >A suggested routine might include:
    > >
    > >1. In Outlook Express empty your Deleted Items folder.
    > >2. In Outlook Express run File, Folder, Compact All whilst OFFLINE.
    > >3. Run Disk Cleanup. Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Cleanup with
    > >Temporary Internet Files, Offline Web Pages (optional), and Recycle Bin selected for
    > >deletion. If you have more than one drive / partition you may need to do this operation for
    > >each drive / partition.
    > >4. Remove Cookies. Start, Control Panel, Internet Options, General, Delete Cookies.
    > >5. Run Disk Defragmenter.
    > >

    > >~~~~~~
    > >

    > >Hope this helps.
    > >
    > >Gerry
    > >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > >FCA
    > >
    > >Stourport, Worcs, England
    > >Enquire, plan and execute.
    > >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > >Please tell the newsgroup how any
    > >suggested solution worked for you.
    > >http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >
    > >"mctiger" <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:5htmc0hgofajk2on215bgff31h2d06sovk@4ax.com...
    > >> Hi,
    > >> Thank you for the quick response. I found allot of useful
    > >> information. The only thing is how to remove unwanted fragments.
    > >> Thanks again.

    > >> Have sense,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
    >
    > Have sense,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP