Admin account in XP home

June 12, 2004 7:27:28 PM

Why doesn't the administrator account show up in "Users"
in XP Home. How can I log on as Administrator?

Thanks.

More about : admin account home

Anonymous
June 13, 2004 8:02:03 AM

XP Home allows you to login as Administrator (built-in) from Safe Mode.

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

AumHa VSOP: http://www.aumha.org

"Tim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1bd4401c450cc$71942060$a001280a@phx.gbl...
Why doesn't the administrator account show up in "Users"
in XP Home. How can I log on as Administrator?

Thanks.
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 1:25:21 PM

Greetings --

The built-in Administrator account really isn't intended to be
used for day-to-day normal use. The standard security practice is to
set a strong password on it and use it only to create another account
for regular use, reserving the Administrator account as a "back door"
in case something corrupts your regular account(s).

As you've learned, once any additional user accounts have been
created, the Administrator account will no longer be displayed on the
Welcome Screen. This is a default security feature. By design, the
only way to log into the Administrator account of WinXP Home is to
reboot into Safe Mode. For WinXP Pro, pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at
the Welcome Screen will produce the standard login dialog box.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm