Teh Controversy of Video Games

MingoDynasty

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
Picture this: a hardcore gamer plays loads of Doom, Quake, Counter-Strike, and other fps games. The next day, he goes out on a school shooting (like the Columbine Massacre).

Was video games the cause? Is it making people today more violent than ever? You tell me.

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Picture this: a hardcore gamer plays loads of Doom, Quake, Counter-Strike, and other fps games. The next day, he goes out on a school shooting (like the Columbine Massacre).

Was video games the cause? Is it making people today more violent than ever? You tell me.

obviously it's bowling that generates killers.

SciFiMan

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Don't let it keep you up at night. It's just a generational thing. The same issues came up after motorcycles, cars, hippies, punk music, etc. Video games are just the major thing that separates the old and young these days. 10-15 years from now it will be something else, whatever the "kids" are doing that the older generation "just doesn't get". I'm sure they said the same thing when fire was invented. Surely some youth would burn down the cave, and then the elders would have a meeting to decide if they should regulate fire to save society. My parents didn't like Deep Purple and Black Sabbath. I don't like most of the crap my 14 yr old son listens to. And it's too loud! But it's my job as a parent to teach them right and wrong, and how to tell the difference. There's just a lot less quality parenting going on then there ever was before.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
There are tons of studies that indicate that consuming violent media results in violent behavior, there are roughly an equal number of studies that indicate the opposite.

When it is all said and done, if you compare crime rates over the last 30 or 40 years, we have seen a dramatic decline in violent crime since the advent of the FPS. You just can't reasonably argue with numbers like that. Go do some research for yourself. Look up the release date of Doom 3D and look up crime rates sorted by year. Those who say video games are the cause of violent crime just have no statistical leg to stand on.

Now if you compare crime rates now to crime rates before mass media, then you will notice that there was a significant increase when mass media hit. So lets blame radio, newspapers, and TV. But Video games statistically have correllated to a decrease so they should be the cure right?

The truth of the matter is that around the time mass media was inundating our society we really ramped up the moving into bigger and bigger cities and the bigger the cities got the less you knew your neighbors because there were just too many people to care about them all. This lead to a weaker support base for a would-be psychopath to help them live right and plenty of targets that they can easily dehumanize due to lack of familiarity, and as a result of that, they snap. You cannot develop a society as large as ours and hope to eliminate the possibility of every psychopath to go on a killing spree. Blame the psychopath, not the hobbies that the psychopath took pleasure in (unless it was torturing puppies and the like).

If a lunatic opened fire on a courthouse after a long successful day of fishing or playing golf, would we blame fishing or golf for the the attack? No! We would blame the lunatic. Why is it any different with video games? As the previous posters indicated, its the newest form of media and therefore the current boogeyman that idiots point to to assign blame. That is all.

Tom-tom

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2004
I wrote a nice little paper in junior high on violence in video games, wish I had it to show

I also agree with SciFiMan on it being a generational issue

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
The truth of the matter is that around the time mass media was inundating our society we really ramped up the moving into bigger and bigger cities and the bigger the cities got the less you knew your neighbors because there were just too many people to care about them all. This lead to a weaker support base for a would-be psychopath to help them live right and plenty of targets that they can easily dehumanize due to lack of familiarity, and as a result of that, they snap. You cannot develop a society as large as ours and hope to eliminate the possibility of every psychopath to go on a killing spree. Blame the psychopath, not the hobbies that the psychopath took pleasure in (unless it was torturing puppies and the like).

Weakness in numbers. =)

I couldn't have worded it better myself. If indeed at all.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003

I liked your answer the best, sums it all up nicely.

or to quote Terry Pratchett: The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as "Things just happen. What the hell."

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Yeah taking it totally off topic. He writes some of the funniest stuff around. By Jingo I think exists as my fave although there are many others just as good.

Loads I haven't read yet tho which makes me think the xmas sales is a good time to go book shopping.

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Mort was my favorite, although I've only finished the first five in the series. And that was several years ago. I should probably jump back in now that I haven't got anything thing to read except C# books. That's a lot of catching up to do.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
More off topic but if you are in the UK over Christmas Sky did a 2 parter tv movie on the Hogfather. I've yet to watch part two but pt1 was very very good. They did a real good job of capturing the humour of the book.

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Staying off topic: It'll be a while before I make it to the UK. I read a few of pterry's adaptations for theatre. They were brilliantly done, of course. Do you know if any of these shows are YouTubed or otherwise available online? I may have to surf a bit when I get home. I'll have to look in the Discworld Monthly emails as well to see if anything is going on closer to home. Best so far was a book signing about an hour from home that I sadly couldn't make it to. There just isn't as much appreciation for the series in the states. :cry:

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
That's cos on the whole you all lack a sophisticated sense of humour :p

I'll have a look see when I get home as well and see if there are any torrents etc.

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Burn! Ouch, I hope that "you" was directed at the states - me. :wink:

Anyway, the one appearance the latest DWM lists in the states is a convention that wants to honour Terry in Tennessee. :roll: