Closed

Scanjet 5P- Deskscan II and Win XP

Trying to make my Scanjet 5p work with xp pro. Advice here was to get rid
of the ISA SCSI, which I did. Now have Adaptec AHA-2940. The scanner is
recognized and the control panel wizard will copy. Deskscan II v2.9,
however, is a problem. The copy utility works. Deskscan itself starts the
process and after about 1/4 of a scan stops with the message "Sorry, the
scanner has experienced an error". Not too helpful. There are multiple
settings on the SCSI card, most of which I don't understand. Could this be
a configuration problem? Is there a better program than Deskscan or the
wizard?

Thanks,

Henry
6 answers Last reply
More about scanjet deskscan

    Henry M Pollock wrote:
    > Trying to make my Scanjet 5p work with xp pro. Advice here was to
    > get rid of the ISA SCSI, which I did. Now have Adaptec AHA-2940.
    > The scanner is recognized and the control panel wizard will copy.
    > Deskscan II v2.9, however, is a problem. The copy utility works.
    > Deskscan itself starts the process and after about 1/4 of a scan
    > stops with the message "Sorry, the scanner has experienced an error".
    > Not too helpful. There are multiple settings on the SCSI card, most
    > of which I don't understand. Could this be a configuration problem?
    > Is there a better program than Deskscan or the wizard?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Henry

    Unfortunately, you are going through the same process than many of we
    owners of unsupported scanners have gone through before we realized the
    futility and purchased a new scanner. OTOH, select the deskscan
    executable, right-click, select properties, the compatibility tab, and
    select the OS compatible with the scanner as originally designed. That
    might help. You might try www.driverheaven.com or one of the other
    driver sites and see if there is an XP-compatible driver. Some work,
    most really do not.

    Google: scanjet 5p xp returns
    http://www.driverforum.com/scanner4/3855.html which might be useful.

    Henry

    You Could try using Precisionscan PRo for the scanner - I did with My
    6100 C and WinXP Pro and it works great no probs. If the scanner works
    under the XP Scanner support it should be fine. Do a search on the HP
    site for the Scanjet 6300C software. The version of PrecisionScan Pro
    should be 2.03 - Cant remember the name of the .exe as I renamed it long
    ago. Be warned it is a 90 odd MB file, so I hope you have some form of
    ADSL or cable, otherwise be prepared for a rather long wait - took me >6
    hrs on a 56K dial up at night with Getright download manager. Ignore
    all the XP claptrap about unsigned drivers, let it continue the install
    and you should be ok.

    Ben Myers is the one to talk to about getting older HP Scanners to play
    nice with XP or (XPee as he calls it.hehe.)

    I refuse to fall for this enforced upgrading marketing strategy by HP
    and others, i.e. "make it obsolete so that everybody will by new
    products" I have no intention of replacing what is essentially a very
    good bit of kit which is in perfect working order - although it is
    getting on a bit- with the latest (possibly inferior in terms of build
    quality, robustness etc) Just because HP say so and can't be A**ed to
    provide support.

    Good Luck

    Hope this helps - sorry for the rant LOL!

    cheers

    Andrew

    Henry M Pollock wrote:
    > Trying to make my Scanjet 5p work with xp pro. Advice here was to get rid
    > of the ISA SCSI, which I did. Now have Adaptec AHA-2940. The scanner is
    > recognized and the control panel wizard will copy. Deskscan II v2.9,
    > however, is a problem. The copy utility works. Deskscan itself starts the
    > process and after about 1/4 of a scan stops with the message "Sorry, the
    > scanner has experienced an error". Not too helpful. There are multiple
    > settings on the SCSI card, most of which I don't understand. Could this be
    > a configuration problem? Is there a better program than Deskscan or the
    > wizard?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Henry

    You are exactly right. This is what I did.

    To get the HP 5P to work with XP Pro

    1) Get rid of the ISA 8-bit SCSI card. Replaced with Adaptec 2940 Bios 1.2
    You are supposed to upgrade to 1.23 for XP but this doesn't appear necessary
    to run the scanner. Maybe for hard disk? Accept defaults, don't need BIOS.
    Will get message of no Int 13 (this is card int 13 for hard disk NOT IRQ 13)
    ignore it.

    2) run set up from disk 1 sj166en.exe to install Deskscan II. It won't work

    3) run set up from sj673en.exe to install Precision Scan Pro. It won't
    work.

    4) repeat disk 1 set up from sj166en.exe. Now they both work Don't know
    why
    Precision Scan Pro is a much better program. Deskscan II doesn't have JPG
    compression but it appears necessary to install both of them.

    Anyway, works now.

    Henry

    "Andrew McConville" <andyboy2k2002@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Henry
    >

    > You Could try using Precisionscan PRo for the scanner - I did with My
    > 6100 C and WinXP Pro and it works great no probs. If the scanner works
    > under the XP Scanner support it should be fine. Do a search on the HP
    > site for the Scanjet 6300C software. The version of PrecisionScan Pro
    > should be 2.03 - Cant remember the name of the .exe as I renamed it long
    > ago. Be warned it is a 90 odd MB file, so I hope you have some form of
    > ADSL or cable, otherwise be prepared for a rather long wait - took me >6
    > hrs on a 56K dial up at night with Getright download manager. Ignore
    > all the XP claptrap about unsigned drivers, let it continue the install
    > and you should be ok.
    >
    > Ben Myers is the one to talk to about getting older HP Scanners to play
    > nice with XP or (XPee as he calls it.hehe.)
    >
    > I refuse to fall for this enforced upgrading marketing strategy by HP
    > and others, i.e. "make it obsolete so that everybody will by new
    > products" I have no intention of replacing what is essentially a very
    > good bit of kit which is in perfect working order - although it is
    > getting on a bit- with the latest (possibly inferior in terms of build
    > quality, robustness etc) Just because HP say so and can't be A**ed to
    > provide support.
    >
    > Good Luck
    >
    > Hope this helps - sorry for the rant LOL!
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Andrew
    >

    > Henry M Pollock wrote:
    > > Trying to make my Scanjet 5p work with xp pro. Advice here was to get
    rid
    > > of the ISA SCSI, which I did. Now have Adaptec AHA-2940. The scanner
    is
    > > recognized and the control panel wizard will copy. Deskscan II v2.9,
    > > however, is a problem. The copy utility works. Deskscan itself starts
    the
    > > process and after about 1/4 of a scan stops with the message "Sorry, the
    > > scanner has experienced an error". Not too helpful. There are multiple
    > > settings on the SCSI card, most of which I don't understand. Could this
    be
    > > a configuration problem? Is there a better program than Deskscan or the
    > > wizard?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Henry

    Henry

    Thats cool you got it working, I remember when I first got it working, I
    already had Deskscan 2.9 installed. Have since rebuilt XP (maybe that
    did something) and Installed Precision Scan Pro on its own with no
    problems. Have an Adaptec 2904 (yes thats 04 not 40!) SCSI card myself
    (Registers as AIC-7850 PCI SCSI Adapter in device manager, looked this
    up at addaptec site)

    glad to have helped - did wonder how you had got on!

    cheers

    Andrew

    Henry M Pollock wrote:
    > You are exactly right. This is what I did.
    >
    > To get the HP 5P to work with XP Pro
    >
    > 1) Get rid of the ISA 8-bit SCSI card. Replaced with Adaptec 2940 Bios 1.2
    > You are supposed to upgrade to 1.23 for XP but this doesn't appear necessary
    > to run the scanner. Maybe for hard disk? Accept defaults, don't need BIOS.
    > Will get message of no Int 13 (this is card int 13 for hard disk NOT IRQ 13)
    > ignore it.
    >
    > 2) run set up from disk 1 sj166en.exe to install Deskscan II. It won't work
    >
    > 3) run set up from sj673en.exe to install Precision Scan Pro. It won't
    > work.
    >
    > 4) repeat disk 1 set up from sj166en.exe. Now they both work Don't know
    > why
    > Precision Scan Pro is a much better program. Deskscan II doesn't have JPG
    > compression but it appears necessary to install both of them.
    >
    > Anyway, works now.
    >
    > Henry
  5. Quote:

> [...]

    > Hope this helps - sorry for the rant LOL!
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Andrew
    >

    > Henry M Pollock wrote:
    > > Trying to make my Scanjet 5p work with xp pro. Advice here was to get
    rid
    > > of the ISA SCSI, which I did. Now have Adaptec AHA-2940. The scanner
    is
    > > recognized and the control panel wizard will copy. Deskscan II v2.9,
    > > however, is a problem. The copy utility works. Deskscan itself starts
    the
    > > process and after about 1/4 of a scan stops with the message "Sorry, the
    > > scanner has experienced an error". Not too helpful. There are multiple
    > > settings on the SCSI card, most of which I don't understand. Could this
    be
    > > a configuration problem? Is there a better program than Deskscan or the

    I tried every which way I could to get my HP Scanjet 5P to work with XP, none of the on line
    suggestions worked.....Deskscan II, sj166en.exe, etc etc
    Finally got it to work with XP Pro just using a standard Adaptec SCSI card, and the built in
    WinXP imaging software, but the scans looked horrible.... and it would only do .pdf scanning

    I've been using this scanner and the original Paperport software that came with it for ..... 13 years,
    and I really didn't want to give it up, since I have thousands of important scanned documents in
    this ancient format.......

    Recently I converted one of my old XP desktops to Windows Vista, I wondered if there was any
    way I could get the original Paperport software and the HP 5P scanner to work with Vista
    Strangely enough, I loaded the HP software disc from 1996, viewed the install files, did a right-click
    on Setup, and instructed Vista to use it in Win95 - compatible mode
    Unbelievably, it worked ! Not only does the scanner work perfectly, but the Paperport software
    works just as the original did many years ago...... the OCR scan function is what was most important
    to me, without this feature for me the program would have been useless

    BTW, before all this happened, I got a copy of Paperport 11, tried it with XP Pro, it didn't work very
    well, leading me to keep my older computers with old O.S.'s and old software......

Hewlett Packard Windows XP Computers