RSSI - Received Signal Strength Indication

Hi,
What is the unit for RSSI? is it dbm? if not, how to convert it to dbm?
Thx,
Al

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:38:10 -0500, "alahay" <nospam@uu.net> wrote:

>What is the unit for RSSI? is it dbm? if not, how to convert it to dbm?

The older chipsets used RSSI from 0 to 256. The newer chipsets use 0
to 100. The 0 to 100 flavour is what is commonly used to display
"percent signal strength". The conversion between RSSI and dBm is
non-linear. See the graph in the following paper:

Converting Signal Strength Percentage to dBm Values

http://www.wildpackets.com/elements/whitepapers/Converting_Signal_Strength.pdf

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

RSSI can be measured in any unit of power...
dbm is usually what is used... but can be miliwatts, watts.. if you are
Doc from Back to the future you would use Gigawatts (as he pronounced
"jigawatts")

"alahay" <nospam@uu.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> What is the unit for RSSI? is it dbm? if not, how to convert it to dbm?
> Thx,
> Al

cwizzle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
I have a question concerning my dell WLAN wireless card. I use a linkysys wireless router and I can see the units of dBm when I look at the networking status. But I can't seem to find a table or formula for changing dBm to RSSI for Dell wireless cards. I've heard that there is no linear equation and that it varies by manufacturer, but WildPackets.com seems to have a system for Cisco products. Does anyone know what I could use for my Dell card? I really hope someone can help me.

Cheers!

dinomycle

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

there is no unit for RSSI it is unitless.... RSS(Receive signal strength) has unit ...because it is the power of the signal received. so it will be in dBm, dB or milli watt , watt etc, all are same ...only difference is change in the conversion to different scaling.

RSSI is always positive and this is the signal strength converted to postiive scale. This will ary depending ont he chipset vendor.

http://dinomycle.blogspot.com/2011/04/difference-between-rssi-and-rss.html