I know nearly nothing

If anyone can help with my question, that would be great
if you could send me e-mail explaining what I should do.

I have Windows XP. I always open my e-mail using outlook
express. A friend has sent me an e-mail recently with an
attachment. I managed to open the e-mail and I read it,
but I can't seem to open the attachment. Everytime I go
to click on the little paper clip shape it tells me the
size of the attachment in grey and doesn't let me click
on it to open it. What's going on?

Do I need to download something in order to be able to
open attachments sent by people in their e-mails?
How do I open their attachments?

Can anyone out there please help? I know it is probably a
simple question, but I am really a beginner and know so
little I would appreciate any help that I could get.

Thank you so much,

From Beginnergirl

Hi

Try this:

In Outlook Express go to Tools>Options>Security - and uncheck 'Do not allow
attachments to be saved...'. If you do uncheck this option please make sure
that you virus-check **all** attachments before you open them - even if you
think that the attachment is 'safe'.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

"beginnergirl" <eshalaby@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
| If anyone can help with my question, that would be great
| if you could send me e-mail explaining what I should do.
|
| I have Windows XP. I always open my e-mail using outlook
| express. A friend has sent me an e-mail recently with an
| attachment. I managed to open the e-mail and I read it,
| but I can't seem to open the attachment. Everytime I go
| to click on the little paper clip shape it tells me the
| size of the attachment in grey and doesn't let me click
| on it to open it. What's going on?
|
| Do I need to download something in order to be able to
| open attachments sent by people in their e-mails?
| How do I open their attachments?
|
| Can anyone out there please help? I know it is probably a
| simple question, but I am really a beginner and know so
| little I would appreciate any help that I could get.
|
| Thank you so much,
|
| From Beginnergirl

We are beginers too, hopfuly someone will answer your question- just had to
tell you that sometimes when an attachment won't open, its because the SENDER
did something wrong! That has happened to us many times.

"beginnergirl" wrote:

> If anyone can help with my question, that would be great
> if you could send me e-mail explaining what I should do.
>
> I have Windows XP. I always open my e-mail using outlook
> express. A friend has sent me an e-mail recently with an
> attachment. I managed to open the e-mail and I read it,
> but I can't seem to open the attachment. Everytime I go
> to click on the little paper clip shape it tells me the
> size of the attachment in grey and doesn't let me click
> on it to open it. What's going on?
>
> Do I need to download something in order to be able to
> open attachments sent by people in their e-mails?
> How do I open their attachments?
>
> Can anyone out there please help? I know it is probably a
> simple question, but I am really a beginner and know so
> little I would appreciate any help that I could get.
>
> Thank you so much,
>
> From Beginnergirl

You might have better luck getting an answer to your Out Look Express
question by asking it in the Out Look Express newsgroup.
"Cathy and George" <CathyandGeorge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:3E9EFFC4-0C01-4DC7-8266-44800712CD30@microsoft.com...