KT-333, GeForce4, WinXP

Shien

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
I've ABIT AT-7 Mobo, AthlonXP 1700+, 256 Meg Kingston PC2700, Winfast GeForce4Ti4200, SBLive DE 5.1, Maxtor 80 Gig. I've problem in WindowsXP platform. After install a VGA driver (from NVIDIA or Winfast), WinXP always hang. Before install VGA driver i already install VIA driver and DirectX 8.1b. I already try any version of NVIDIA driver and VIA driver but i always got same result. What wrong with my configuration? is that my hardware not compatible each other? Help me please.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The problem I was looking for is something sharing an IRQ with the AGP slot.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

Shien

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
Ok, i will try to move it to slot 2 pci. And i use 300W PSU. Is that enough for my system? Thanks.

groth2757

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
I would up that power supply to at least 400w. That may help. If a friend has an extra power supply try it and see!!

:tongue: <font color=red>Is it a bad if your memory module looks like a piece of fried bacon?.</font color=red> :tongue:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You might be able to get by with a 300W power supply, barely, if it was a high quality unit. I'm not seeing a lot of quality these days. I would say go with a 350W Enermax or better.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

Shien

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
I've read the manual of ABIT AT-7. And there are :
PIRQ_0 is for PCI-2, AGP and Lan.
PIRQ_1 is for PCI-3 and IEEE-1394.
PIRQ_2 is for HPT374.
PIRQ_3 is for PCI-1 and USB 2.0.
I've already try turn off/diasble Lan Adapter, IEEE-1394 adapter and HPT374 adapter. PCI-2 Slot is empty.
And still, the problem is always coming up.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wow! What a shitty board! Only 3 PCI slots, all shared! Let's see, you can't use PCI 2 because of AGP, it don't like to share. You can't use PCI1 or 3 with some cards because of Bus Mastering. Then you turn off all the devices sharing 1 and 3 except the USB 2.0 controller, and you still have problems! The only hope you have left is to pray for the ACPI fairy to make it work.

cableguy22

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
I don't belive it's a shitty board, problem lays in shitty XP... well I'll get mine in a few days and we'll see if it hangs up, it can't be as bad is Gigabyte one that I am using now. I have 2100+ XP, Kingston 512MB, MSI Geforce 4600

btw, what board would you recommend?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You'd hate me if I told you. Oh well, I'll tell you anyway. The MSI 745 Ultra. Simply for the chipset. It's cheap enough that you can actually add cards for its missing features and still not pay that much.

Shien

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
Oh ya, I almost forgot. I also try to keep empty PCI-1 slot and PCI-3 slot. Then I enable sound onboard from motherboard and lan adaptor, raid adaptor, firewire adaptor is set to disable but the result is still same. And how to set ACPI. In Bios are 2 option disable and enable ( with 2 option ver 1.1 and veer 1.4 ). By the way thanks for your opinion.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, I'm going to guess that 1.4 is newer than 1.1 and works better. Generally speaking, if you can separate the most important devices to each have their own IRQ, the most stable way is no ACPI, PNP OS no. But ACPI can help you share IRQ's, so you can set PNP OS yes as well with ACPI on. This is always my second option, because it's less likely to work as well. Of course, it could also be a memory or voltage problem.

cableguy22

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
Yea i know it's good but we are talking here about AMD KT333 mobos... msi 745 first of all doesn't have all the features and it's for Intel...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
735/745 are AMD chipsets, why limit yourself to VIA? Buy the dang features, a RAID card for $40 and a USB 2.0/ Firewire card for $20, plus the board for $60 and it's still around the same price as a VIA board.

Shien

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
I've try setting my bios and I found if I disable PCI Master Read Caching my WinXP is working. But I still have little problem. My WinXP is not stable. Sometime is still crash, but not like before. And the respone of WinXP is little slower, means, if I click hardware device manager is there two second before is going in.

eqmassa

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2002
You can buy the extra features, but not the extra performance in gaming/multimedia.

Gaming PC in progress, suggestions welcome :)

TRENDING THREADS