Netgear-Poor quality

RH

Anyone else find that the Netgear wireless router go bad every 6 months?
Not to mention their customer service stinks and must be in a foreign
country.

Netgear products are generally rebadged D-Link products.
rebadged for marketing purposes - different target markets.

"RH" <boldie11@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<rcKdne-dgJtD6pXcRVn-ig@comcast.com>...
> Anyone else find that the Netgear wireless router go bad every 6 months?
> Not to mention their customer service stinks and must be in a foreign
> country.

I have to disagree on both counts.

1) I have been very satisfied with product quality and reliability.

2)In order for their customer service to stink they would have to have
customer service.

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:06:43 -0600, "RH" <boldie11@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Anyone else find that the Netgear wireless router go bad every 6 months?
>Not to mention their customer service stinks and must be in a foreign
>country.

Make, model, version, and condition (referbished, closeout, used)?
What were the symptoms? What works and what doesn't? Did you do
anything to the firmware? What did you do to troubleshoot the
problem? Did you try the router with another computah?

I've had routers go comatose on me only to find out that someone had
hacked into the router from the internet, and sprayed garbage into the
flash code. I've also had the settings go insane from static hits.
I've heard of, but not experienced, routers with flash cleared by
lightning hits.

I do mostly DLink, but digging through the inventory history, I see 12
assorted Netgear wireless routers (mostly MR814v2) installed since Jan
2003. No returns, no failures (other than trashed settings), and no
problems.

Wanna supply some specifics? Or should we classify your vague
denunciation as mere company hatred?

Oh yeah, tech support. I wouldn't know. I never call their tech
support unless I'm bored and need some entertainment value.

Incidentally, I've fixed quite a few XP boxes that magical don't
connect to the internet after spyware removal with:
If your router appears to "not respond" or you "cannot connect" to the
router, you might wanna try this fix.

# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us

I, too, have to disagree. My experiences with Netgear have been
mostly positive. If you have a specific issue(s) with your router,
please tell us what it/they are. Maybe those of us who frequent this
newgroup can assist you.

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:06:43 -0600, "RH" <boldie11@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Anyone else find that the Netgear wireless router go bad every 6 months?
>Not to mention their customer service stinks and must be in a foreign
>country.

I have the WGR614 and I certainly have issues with it. I flashed the Bios on
it immediately after buying it about a month or so ago. I do not use it for
wireless yet, only wired. I turned off wireless completely. When I open a
browser or my Outlook 2002, it takes a solid 90 seconds for either to open.
If I reboot the router, they will come up immediately once or twice then we
are back to the 90 second routine. I read where someone said to shutoff the
SPI Firewall. I did that and ran for three days as a test, but had the same
exact issues as above. I turned it back on, no difference. This has happened
since the day I bought the router and I believe it is junk. I have reset
modem several times. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Danny Fyffe

"Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I, too, have to disagree. My experiences with Netgear have been
> mostly positive. If you have a specific issue(s) with your router,
> please tell us what it/they are. Maybe those of us who frequent this
> newgroup can assist you.
>

> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:06:43 -0600, "RH" <boldie11@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Anyone else find that the Netgear wireless router go bad every 6 months?
> >Not to mention their customer service stinks and must be in a foreign
> >country.

Hi,

i have read about a wireless Service in the windows XP services for
easy WLAN networking.

Try to find it and disactivate it - then maybe it runs.

Try to search for it in the Microsoft Knwoledge Base.

Stefan Heinz

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:06:43 -0600, "RH" <boldie11@hotmail.com> wrote
:

>Anyone else find that the Netgear wireless router go bad every 6 months?
>Not to mention their customer service stinks and must be in a foreign
>country.

My experience is the reverse.
I got an ADSL modem and wireless router.
When I tried to connect the modem, it lost the config page half way
through and it wouldn't come back. I rang tech sp, the tech got me to
do some tests (much the same as I had already done), pronounced the
modem faulty, told me a new one was on it's way, and said not to
return the faulty one until the replacement had arrived and was
working.

Replacement modem arrived by courier the next day, and worked.

Network has now been up and running only a few weeks, but no probs
with 3 laptops and one desktop, and good range throughout the house
(triple brick walls) and all around the garden.
--
Regards,
Peter Wilkins

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 15:26:54 +1000, Peter Wilkins
<wilkinsp_nospam@delete_ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:06:43 -0600, "RH" <boldie11@hotmail.com> wrote
>:
>
>>Anyone else find that the Netgear wireless router go bad every 6 months?
>>Not to mention their customer service stinks and must be in a foreign
>>country.
>
>My experience is the reverse.
>I got an ADSL modem and wireless router.
>When I tried to connect the modem, it lost the config page half way
>through and it wouldn't come back. I rang tech sp, the tech got me to
>do some tests (much the same as I had already done), pronounced the
>modem faulty, told me a new one was on it's way, and said not to
>return the faulty one until the replacement had arrived and was
>working.
>
>Replacement modem arrived by courier the next day, and worked.
>
>Network has now been up and running only a few weeks, but no probs
>with 3 laptops and one desktop, and good range throughout the house
>(triple brick walls) and all around the garden.

Likewise - except that my router was not faulty and worked straight
up. Review after review after review that I have read before and
since buying the unit marks it out as the best or very close to the
best unit in its class my personal experience of it would appear to
back that up. Relative to my neighbour's US Robotics equipment it is
fast, far more reliable and has vastly superior range.

littlejohn

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2004

Simon wrote: <heavily snipped>

>>>Anyone else find that the Netgear wireless router go bad every 6 months?
>>>Not to mention their customer service stinks
>>
>>My experience is the reverse.
> ... it is
> fast, far more reliable and has vastly superior range.

I agree, if you are talking about older Netgear equipment. However, much
of the newer stuff is trash. A good example is the MR814. Excellent
equipment, but extremely poor software.

I tested two units and both failed within three days after
implementing tight security measures. They both locked up on the WAN side
and would not respond to a maintenance request. The first versions of the
javascript maintenance routines were so poorly written that correct setup
of the routers was impossible on anything other than a recent version
of the MS browser.

Those, and many other minor problems, went away after flashing
their 4th published version of firmware (4.14 release candidate 4). It's
a shame that they couldn't have caught and fixed these problems a couple
of years back, when they first came out.

Netgear tech support is a real joke. Their response to almost any
question is "Could you hold a minute, please?" ... I only called them if
the unit was smoked and still under warranty. Anything less was a waste of
time.

As I see it, Netgear is among the best that's out there. But don't buy
the first units and don't expect tech support.

LittleJohn
Madison, AL

> i have read about a wireless Service in the windows XP services for
> easy WLAN networking.
>
> Try to find it and disactivate it - then maybe it runs.

I'm running Windows 2000 Pro, not XP.

Danny Fyffe

I don't understand how the router could effect the speed in which an
application starts. Please advise because I've never heard of such a
thing. I'm always in learning mode.

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:41:16 -0500, "Danny Fyffe"
<dfyffe3@comcast.net> wrote:

>When I open a
>browser or my Outlook 2002, it takes a solid 90 seconds for either to open.

Doug:

After spending 30 minutes or so on the phone last night with Netgear, I
have to send them my junk router and they will then send me another. I am
going out and buying another router today and will have my replacement
Netgear for sale new in the box. I used to love Netgear hardware, but after
this experience, I'll never own another thing from them. I am planning on
purchasing the Linksys WRT54G and trying it out. If it proves unsuitable,
then I'll try the D-Link DI-624. If interested, I'll let you know how it
turns out. Thanks for asking.

> I don't understand how the router could effect the speed in which an
> application starts. Please advise because I've never heard of such a
> thing. I'm always in learning mode.
>
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:41:16 -0500, "Danny Fyffe"
> <dfyffe3@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >When I open a
> >browser or my Outlook 2002, it takes a solid 90 seconds for either to
open.

Thank you. Also, you might want to consider the Belkin 5FD7230-4
router/access point/bridge. Right now, I'm using it an my access
point. Anyway, take care.

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 09:18:35 -0500, "Danny Fyffe"
<dfyffe3@comcast.net> wrote:

>Doug:
>
> After spending 30 minutes or so on the phone last night with Netgear, I
>have to send them my junk router and they will then send me another. I am
>going out and buying another router today and will have my replacement
>Netgear for sale new in the box. I used to love Netgear hardware, but after
>this experience, I'll never own another thing from them. I am planning on
>purchasing the Linksys WRT54G and trying it out. If it proves unsuitable,
>then I'll try the D-Link DI-624. If interested, I'll let you know how it
>turns out. Thanks for asking.
>
>Danny Fyffe
>

>"Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I don't understand how the router could effect the speed in which an
>> application starts. Please advise because I've never heard of such a
>> thing. I'm always in learning mode.
>>
>> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:41:16 -0500, "Danny Fyffe"
>> <dfyffe3@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> >When I open a
>> >browser or my Outlook 2002, it takes a solid 90 seconds for either to
>open.

Worst quality and support. Avoid like plague.
Regards,
Martin

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 08:22:10 -0500, LittleJohn
<littlejohn@DeleteMe.knology.net> wrote:

>Simon wrote: <heavily snipped>
>
>>>My experience is the reverse.
>> ... it is
>> fast, far more reliable and has vastly superior range.
>
> I agree, if you are talking about older Netgear equipment. However, much
>of the newer stuff is trash. A good example is the MR814. Excellent
>equipment, but extremely poor software.
>
> I tested two units and both failed within three days after
>implementing tight security measures. They both locked up on the WAN side
>and would not respond to a maintenance request. The first versions of the
>javascript maintenance routines were so poorly written that correct setup
>of the routers was impossible on anything other than a recent version
>of the MS browser.
>
> Those, and many other minor problems, went away after flashing
>their 4th published version of firmware (4.14 release candidate 4). It's
>a shame that they couldn't have caught and fixed these problems a couple
>of years back, when they first came out.
>
> Netgear tech support is a real joke. Their response to almost any
>question is "Could you hold a minute, please?" ... I only called them if
>the unit was smoked and still under warranty. Anything less was a waste of
>time.
>
> As I see it, Netgear is among the best that's out there. But don't buy
>the first units and don't expect tech support.
>
>LittleJohn
>Madison, AL

I was actually talking about the DG834G. I did have a brief incident
when WPA stopped working after a few days, but I simply re-entered the
key on both router and client and the problem has not occurred again.

I wish the same could be said of the WG311 PCI card in one of the
workstations though.

In message <rcKdne-dgJtD6pXcRVn-ig@comcast.com>, RH
<boldie11@hotmail.com> writes
>Anyone else find that the Netgear wireless router go bad every 6 months?
>Not to mention their customer service stinks and must be in a foreign
>country.

I disagree - my Netgear router is working properly for the first time in
6 months: they finally worked out firmware that works.

I agree that the customer service isn't very good. I emailed them
(which took a lot of effort, as their support email addresses are very
well hidden), and after a few days got a reply saying that they didn't
handle support issues by email. This didn't seem terribly competent
for a networking company.

Of course they wanted me to use a premium rate phone line, so they could
profit from my problems. But as I said, it seems ok now. And I've seen
reports of problems with many other brands. It seems an industry full
of products rushed to market before they were ready.

--
Clive Page

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 23:03:22 +0100, Clive Page <junk@page.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>In message <rcKdne-dgJtD6pXcRVn-ig@comcast.com>, RH
><boldie11@hotmail.com> writes
>>Anyone else find that the Netgear wireless router go bad every 6 months?
>>Not to mention their customer service stinks and must be in a foreign
>>country.
>
>I disagree - my Netgear router is working properly for the first time in
>6 months: they finally worked out firmware that works.

I too have had a bumpy upgrade with Netgear but an advised reset
resolved it, it's been up & connected for months now. Heavy traffic at
times too.

They could help themselves better but the gear can be good.

--
New anti-spam address cmylod at despammed dot com

I've had trouble with both netgear and dlink. I started with a netgear
WAP. Easy set up. Worked great. About six months later it just died. I
could not even connect through one of the wired ports. Called tech
support who said to send it in. They sent me a new one. Good but still
a hassle.

Later I needed a router. Bought a dlink di-624. Easy set up. Worked
well at first. Soon found my net connects were being dropped regularly
(every ten or fifteen minutes). Sent email to tech support asking how
to fix it. They said when there is too much traffic the unit can lock
up for five or ten seconds. In the process it drops all connections.
Their suggestion was to reduce network traffic. Thanks.

Maybe I'll try Linksys next.

Here is the update I promised.

I have been running the D-Link 624 for 4 full days now and so far,
almost no trouble. I have browswer slow down now and then, but everything
else is working fine. I also bought a laptop last night so I turned on the
wireless and so far, it is flawless. I have encryption turned on and so far,
no one has gotten in. I am very happy to date. I am indeed sending this via
my wireless setup. Thanks for everyone's input.

Danny Fyffe