Sign in with
Your question

"Compress old files" safe to delete?

Last response: in Windows XP
April 10, 2004 4:21:24 AM

There is a Compress old files feature that is activated usually. Well, I wanted to clean up my OS partition a bit, had some seriously low disk space on it. I see what Disk Cleanup calculates, and find over 700MB is used for these files. Now Windows says it compressed files not accessed within a certain period. From the option I've seen, that seems to be currently set to 50 days. Has anyone allowed Disk Cleanup to do it, and is it safe?

Thanks in advance,

--
<i>Ede</i>
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.php" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>More updates and added sites as over <font color=red>62</font color=red> no-lifers have their pics up on THGC's Photo Album! </b></font color=blue></A> :lol: 
May 1, 2004 1:36:40 PM

I've had that on, but didn't like the time it took to decompress files when needed. As for letting Disk Cleanup do its thing, if its thing is deleting those compressed files, then I guess it's time to figure out what's in there and if you'd miss them if they were gone forever. That's something only you can answer.

Quote:
<font color=green>===</font color=green> Never assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>====</font color=green>

!