Messydesk14

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
I just got Guild Wars Nightfall and when i put the CD in to install it an error message reading...

"D:\ Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory was completed."

Nothing else comes up and I've tried it on another computer and it works and it will let me download other things

What should I do so it will install???

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
This may be a tad overwhelming, but I have a few questions that may help us diagnose the problem:

• [*:a3982b3096]Have you experienced any other errors lately, even seemingly unrelated ones?
    [*:a3982b3096]Are you using a virus scanner?
    [*:a3982b3096]Do you have any other apps running in the background?
    [*:a3982b3096]Have you updated any drivers lately or installed any other apps recently?
    [*:a3982b3096]What version of Windows are you using?
    [*:a3982b3096]Are you comfortable reinstalling windows?
    [*:a3982b3096]What are your system specs, particularly your CPU, Motherboard, RAM size & model, and disc drive?
    [*:a3982b3096]Do you have any problems installing any other apps from disc or downloaded apps?
    [*:a3982b3096]Do you have any extra hardware around that you could try swapping out (CPU/RAM/DVD drive)?

To explain what I can about your error, a Process is essentially a running application. Windows assigns a specific region of your RAM for storage to each active process. ReadProcessMemory and WriteProcessMemory are the Win32 API functions used for accessing that region from another process, generally while debugging. It's possible that you're experiencing a hardware error, but it's more likely to be a software problem.

Both of these API functions have been a part of every version of Windows since Win95, including Vista and Longhorn, so I'd say it's probably something other than your Windows version.

I'm inclined to think that either a virus scanner is causing the problem, in which case you should turn it off and try again, or a virus corrupted your DLLs, in which case you'd need a new virus scanner and possibly a reinstall of Windows if the scanner can't extract, delete, and repair. Another thing you can try is shutting down all running apps, especially those next to the clock.

I hope this helps.

Messydesk14

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
This may be a tad overwhelming, but I have a few questions that may help us diagnose the problem:

• [*:6d953973b5]Have you experienced any other errors lately, even seemingly unrelated ones?
    [*:6d953973b5]Are you using a virus scanner?
    [*:6d953973b5]Do you have any other apps running in the background?
    [*:6d953973b5]Have you updated any drivers lately or installed any other apps recently?
    [*:6d953973b5]What version of Windows are you using?
    [*:6d953973b5]Are you comfortable reinstalling windows?
    [*:6d953973b5]What are your system specs, particularly your CPU, Motherboard, RAM size & model, and disc drive?
    [*:6d953973b5]Do you have any problems installing any other apps from disc or downloaded apps?
    [*:6d953973b5]Do you have any extra hardware around that you could try swapping out (CPU/RAM/DVD drive)?

• 1.No recent errors
    2.Yes, but I have tried turning it off and trying it
    3.No apps running in the background
    4.I sucessfully installed another app after this one failed to install
    5.Windows XP Home Edition
    6.Not very comfortable reinstalling Windows but if mandatory I have done it before
    7.My dad got this computer for me and it's a Dell XPS 600. 148gb hard drive space, 1 gb RAM, Pentium D CPU 3.00 GHZ
    8.This is the first time I've had a problem installing an app. to this computer
    9.I have no extra hardware to swap out.

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
In #7, by disc drive I meant CD/DVD drive, not hard drive. Thanks for the rest of the info.

Another thought occured to me, some discs can work fine in one disc drive and have read errors in another. This doesn't mean the disc is bad, simply that one drive has difficulty reading it. I don't imagine you have any scratches on it, but you could still try using another copy, since you don't have another drive you could swap in.

If that doesn't work, I don't know.

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I just got Guild Wars Nightfall and when i put the CD in to install it an error message reading...

"D:\ Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory was completed."

Nothing else comes up and I've tried it on another computer and it works and it will let me download other things

What should I do so it will install???

not to pass the buck, but did you google for this error to see if you get anywhere? odd windows errors are often easiest fixed with a format, considering you know 100% that will fix the problem, and takes a few hours in a pair of capable hands. The reality is, most people would benefit a great deal from formatting their hard drive and doing a clean windows install at least once a year. unfortunately, most people don't know how, or prefer not to.