how to reduce "ping" when playing online...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archived from groups: alt.games.delta-force (More info?)

I have 56K modem...
As I hear it's better when the "PING" it's low...
(have same problem with playing MOHAA online, it jumps from 300 to 999)

Thanx
--
www.GARAGE-inc.tk
v i r t u a l t u n i n g

"They say people don't believe in heroes any more...
Well damn them!!!... You and me, Max.
We gonna give'm back their heroes!"

Archived from groups: alt.games.delta-force (More info?)

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:06:14 +0200, "Mike Torello D.E.A."
<charger@nospammeringnet4u.hr> wrote:

>I have 56K modem...
>As I hear it's better when the "PING" it's low...
>(have same problem with playing MOHAA online, it jumps from 300 to 999)
>
>Thanx

'Ping' is the signal that your computer sends to the host server.
'Pong' is the return, or acknowlegement signal that's sent back. It's
the lag time between Ping and Pong that determines high or low pings.
The faster the two stations can communicate, the lower the 'Ping'
rate.

Archived from groups: alt.games.delta-force (More info?)

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:06:14 +0200, "Mike Torello D.E.A."
<charger@nospammeringnet4u.hr> wrote:

>I have 56K modem...
>As I hear it's better when the "PING" it's low...
>(have same problem with playing MOHAA online, it jumps from 300 to 999)
>
>Thanx

I might add that you can reduce your Ping my terminating any running
programs on your computer to increase beandwidth.

Archived from groups: alt.games.delta-force (More info?)

The only way you can improve your ping is to get a high speed connection m8.
Or so EVERYONE tells me:O)

--
Kiwi;?<GD>
GunDogs! We put the kill in skill......um........or is that the ass in
"Mike Torello D.E.A." <charger@nospammeringnet4u.hr> wrote in message
>I have 56K modem...
> As I hear it's better when the "PING" it's low...
> (have same problem with playing MOHAA online, it jumps from 300 to 999)
>
> Thanx
> --
> www.GARAGE-inc.tk
> v i r t u a l t u n i n g
>
> "They say people don't believe in heroes any more...
> Well damn them!!!... You and me, Max.
> We gonna give'm back their heroes!"

sandipan bose

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
i am playing online counterstrike.I have 265 kbps. But my ping goes 300 to 400.how can i reduce my ping?pls help me from this problem.

I am sandipan bose

id:- inform.sandipan@gmail.com

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
The other major factor is how close you are to the server. I'm in the UK so I like to stick to UK and European servers that way I get pings of between 40-70, if I play on a US server my ping rate jumps to around about 100 or more. Ping rates can also be effected by how busy the server is with busy servers having slighter higher response times the quieter servers.

capinss

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
Hello, guys! First of all, I want to explain, that I have red all these answers and suggestions, but most of them seem not helping. Ill explain why.

I'm playing Lineage2 on 2 computers. Most of you guys say that the problem is the internet connection and that this is the cause of ping.

Now. look - a perfect proof that ping is somehow depending on other factors also (what - dunno).

I have two computers. both connected to one Access Point with Wireless Network adapters.
Both have one antivirus and firewall systems, both have XP Sp3, not to mention, they both have the same version of the game and both games played in one server.

Now one of my comps show ping 85 but the other on - 2303.

Please explain - how is this internet connection or ISP's fault?

This was for those who know only the ISP solution, to sit back down a little and mind over the possible causes (few at east) for the problem next time, when answering.

And now for those who have some serious knowledge about this stuff.. what are the possible solutions to get the ping better on the pc, which has 2303 ping?

Wireless Access Point is set to work on channel 11 (if this is necessary).

Thank you in advance, Kaspars.

To Capinss: Could be a software issue.

Ping is the time it takes to send a single packet to a server, and get a single packet back in reply. The easiest way to check ping is to open the Command Prompt and type "ping (ip Address or Website)". Example:

ping www.google.com

There are various switches you can use to repeat the test for 20 attempts, etc.

As ping is the time it takes to send/recieve a packet, internet speed and distance to server are the most important factors, although software/firewalls/network card/motherboard can play a part, as can the amount of traffic at the server location.

The only surefire way to improve ping is to use servers close to your location, or get a better ISP.

firefly4423

Thanks for all of the replys. Ive been working on mine too. But, I dont think theres too much you can do other than getting a faster ISP or moving closer to the server.
124l1343.jpg

capinss

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
I know what ping is, i know hot to ping a server using run etc, i do understand it. Im just saying, that whatever the server is - romanian or Latvian, the ping on both pcs should be if not equal, then pretty close, but here the difference is 27 times, cmon, if the ISP sucks, then the ping would be 9999 for both of pcs, if the ISP is good, then ping would be 50 for both, but here the thing is in the difference - 27 times!!
Since i tried to put the exact same software on both pcs, the only thing i can think of is the hardware , such as wifi card etc... ill try to connect to the AP via cable and then take alook at the pings

Thank you for the things i knew already :) no offence

What to do if i have ping 100-200 and sometimes 200-400 even in my country i have internet usb connection but still in my country must be lover ping then 100... its 3G.. Ping never go love than 100... Never saw... Do u know what to do ?

hpfanboy222

I have a 3MBps DSL connection from Verizion, and I live in Fairfax, VA, so I'm not far from D.C, which, most likely, is where the server is. I am only around 20 mins away. But I STILL have really bad ping in CoD WaW doing Nazi Zombies or Co-op. (I dont multiplay any other way)

My specs: Motherboard- unknown, but the comp model is HP Pavilion Elite e9260f if ur curious. GPU - nVIDIA GeForce GT 230 1.5gb dedicated memory, 8 gigs DDR3 RAM, 1 TB hard drive, Intel Core i5 - 750 @ 2.67GHz. And I HAVE a Wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g/n thing, but I USE wirED connection, not wireLESS.

Can u tell me y my ping is bad? I'm curious, really. And its annoying too lol

Stone_Stun

Distinguished
May 4, 2010

Hi,i'm juz curious,why channel 11?
why not 12? 10? 5?
why just 11?
is there any explanation,thnx in advance...

Stone_Stun

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
Compfreak,thnx for your advice,but i dont think it is posible....cuzzz.....
i'm now playing Metal Gear Online,and i think the server is either at Europe/Japan,
which i live in South east asia....T.T

sirejoker88

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Hey :bounce: Im having the same problem me and my brother play postal we got different computer mine better then his but still his computer is better with lag then mine. The pings on postal 2 really depend on the sever because on sum games we could have 700 or 300 even 3000 but must of the time if its a good sever they sit on about 200 to 400 witch is still crappy.

Anyway if we where playing a game on postal i had a ping of 378 and my brother had a ping of 364 because some reason his is only just lower then mine but still his would run smooth but mine run like ***. I have tried just about everything gameboster 2.2 but that would not work i tried scanning my computer defraying it getting software like tuneup pc doctor and system care. none of it works for postal 2. i found that gameboster helped with battlefield 2 but nothing for postal. oh yea and my brothers computer why gayer then mine but still run postal smoother.

i got Microsoft xp version 2002 service pack 3 intel(R) pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz 3.19GHz, 1.00 GB of ram and 128 MB on my graphics card

Please help :eek: