Failed Motherbaords.. Electrical Issue??

nesta

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
I've experienced 2 motherboard failures in the last few months.. One being a Soyo Dragon... the other being a MSI..

Anyway, I'm wondering if this has to do w/ an electrical issue.
For instance, the computer is not grounded.. or a charge is coming in through the USB/Serial/etc. Port ?

One thing I noticed is that when I touch my cheek to the corner of my case.. I get an electrical sting.. it stops stinging once I touch my hand to the case... but when just my cheek is touching [ the one on my face... ] I feel a sting. My hand doesn't feel this b/c I don't think it is as sensitive.

Is this normal? Or should it be corrected, and how?

THanks!

Brice

Mr_Perfect

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2001
Well, at the very least you shouldn't be getting shocked by your case. Unless of course you've been scuffing around on a carpet and have built up a static charge. Static electricity isn't good for the machine's boards.

You say it isn't grounded? Get it grounded and see what happens.

-------------
Mr. Perfect
-------------
Descent, because gravity is highly over-rated.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Mr_Perfect on 07/21/02 06:03 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Qroo

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2002
I've noticed exactly the same electric discharges as you, and I believe it is caused by the seperately powered USB hub. This is even after disconnecting the computer power supply chord. It makes me think that it may be better to leave the computer power chord connected to the computer when opening the case so that it still grounds the charge from the USB cable. This is what I do, and so far have had no problems with damage to the computer when changing parts or memory,etc. I could be wrong.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
a poor PSU and/or 'dirty' mains power can also damage computers badly... an insidious problem thats hard to detect.

Ego: Check
Rose hued glasses: Check
Fanboy Button: Check
CPU forum, here i come! :smile:

Mr_Perfect

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2001
It's said that you should not keep the computer plugged in because PCI slots still draw power when the machine is off. It's alive. ;)

-------------
Mr. Perfect
-------------
Descent, because gravity is highly over-rated.

srg

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002
I'd say pull that plug when you open your case!!! I didn't once and when I plugged the mobo power connector in it switched it's self on and fried my cpu (I hadn't put the HSF on yet!!)

Windows XP Works on a K5 PR133 (100MHz) with 80MB RAM!!!!!!

Hoolio

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
If you use an atx pwoer supply it will have a switch on the back of the psu or if it does not, switch the power off at the wall but leave the power cord in, then the earth lead is still connected and you can discharge the static, and volia no damage to you or your motherboard.

nesta

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Regardless, I'm still getting this electrical sting from the corner of my case.

Could it be routed it the case/mb combo? In my Power Outlet? Or in my APC BackUPS 500 w/ a site wiring fault indicator turned on?

What can I use to test?

Thanks!

Brice

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
The most recent MIS and SOYO mobos come with a utility to check out vultage usage trhoughout the sytem. IF you can get to this utility through the bisos the match up the numbers with the ones specified from the cpu and mobo manufaturer. But right away it seems to me that you have a short someplace cuppled with a bad power supply.

-Tim

I have also come accross similar problems where the person who installed the mobo left an extra mountion screw behind the mobo causing it to short and give off shocks periodically. Even the cmos can give a tiny charge. Also so can a power supply(hours after its unplugged)

It seems that every time I reboot my wallet get smaller.

Zowwie

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2002
I would have to agree with PcCashCow:
But right away it seems to me that you have a <b>short someplace</b> cuppled with a bad power supply.
Although I am an electrical/PC newbie, that was my first impression as well.

Good luck,

<b>Zowwie</b>