More RAM Or Video Card For Game Performance?

duc900sp

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Hi,

I've got a 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo, 1GB Dual Channel DDR2, PNY 7900GT (256MB RAM) and I want to upgrade for better gaming performance. Nothing's overclocked.

My question is, should I go up to 2GB RAM or add another 7900GT and go SLI?

I can get the RAM for about $175 or the video card for about $225. My power supply is already good to go for SLI.

I was fairly happy with my machine's performance running FEAR and Ghost Recon - just occasional stutters with most settings pretty high. However, Flight Simulator X on high is causing a lot of stutters and slow frame rates. When it stutters, the hard drive light is on solid or flashing.

Any suggestions, recommendations or opinions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jake

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
If you're doing Flight Sim X, get more RAM. Just be aware that it's a resource hog no matter how beefy a system you've got. I don't think anything runs it maxed out smooth, including 8800s on a C2D 6800. Your graphics card oughta hold you over for a while longer for everything else. At least until mid-range DX10 parts come from nVidia and ATI releases it's stuff.

yas

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
I reckon getting sli wouldnt be the best way to spend your money. Get another gb of ram which will help you with all applications not just games. The 7900GT is still new and should run all new games maxed out. When you do upgrade youll be better off jumping straight to a DX10 card in the futur

duc900sp

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Thanks, everyone, for all the feedback!

I think you're exactly right about waiting on the video card - thanks for pointing that out.

I'll look at adding RAM soon!

Jake