Xbox 360 Live Help

Lefts

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
You guys seem very knowledeable and I was wondering if you could help me :) I know next to nothing about setting this up, so be patient :). When I run the Live test the network test is fine but it fails to find an IP. I have it directly connected to my PC which has wirelss internet. I have a Linksys router downstairs connected to my other computer. I've been reading about a crossover cable and I am pretty sure the cable that came with my 360 is one but im not sure. I have a crossover cable if its not. But if someone would please be as so kind to help me out I would greatly appreciate it. :)

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I know nothing about xbox360's, but from a general PC perspective here's the problem:

- you can't just hook up a crossover cable and expect the xbox to get an ip address. your PC is not a DHCP server, and therefore will not allocate an ip address to your xbox. in this scenario, you need to allocate a static ip address to the xbox which matches your home network's ip scheme.
- now that the xbox360 has an ip address, you need to configure your PC to share your internet connection (Windows XP does not do that by default). I would suggest searching Microsoft's website for assistance if you do not know how to do this yourself, it is in your network settings.
- provided that the xbox live environment does not require any port forwarding, this should be all you need. If it does, you need to configure your linksys router to port forward as necessary.

I have assumed here that A. you can specify a static ip address on an xbox360, and I have no idea if that's the case. B. that someone else has actually done this successfully, C. xbox360 does not have wireless b/g access.

The easiest solution? run a network cable from your linksys router through your house to the xbox360. then forget everything I typed above.

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Yikes! What you need is one of these. If you don't know what a crossover cable is, your going to have a heck of a hard time configuring your PC as an access point.

You should be able to get the wireless network adapter pretty much anywhere that sells accessories for the 360. It's a tad expensive, but I'd say your only other option is to take torque's advice and get a long ethernet cable to plug the box directly into the hub. And that's not cheap either.

I hope that helps.