802.11g setup near radio transmitter

Jim

Is there any potential pitfalls for providing wireless network
connection near the shortwave transmitter? Antenna is a log periodic
type. We are thinking of using Buffalo brand equipment with Omni
directional antenna, flatbed antenna, and 32 mW access points.
Point-to-point distances are less than 500 meters.

Thanks in advance.

kc7jfv@hotmail.com (Jim) wrote:
>Is there any potential pitfalls for providing wireless network
>connection near the shortwave transmitter?

Depends on the AP and other radio involved. I get a bit of noise on
VHF Marine channel 16 from a D-Link DI-614 router that's within a
couple of feet of the antenna, but tightening up the squelch a bit
hides the problem, so I don't really care much.

In general you want to keep computers, transmitters, and
{un}intentional radiators away from radio transcievers, their
antennas, and their feedlines.

--
William Smith

On 29 Jul 2004 02:31:28 -0700, kc7jfv@hotmail.com (Jim) wrote:

>Is there any potential pitfalls for providing wireless network
>connection near the shortwave transmitter?

Yes. HF xmitters might cause your wireless access point to freak out,
mysteriously reboot, lockup, or otherwise malfunction. I've seen all
the aformentioned at various ham radio stations, where the grounding
system is inadequate and there's RF floating around on all the wires
in the place. All of the access points and client radios have clock
oscillators that might have harmonics in the HF bands. Microprocessor
has might increase the baseline noise level. The wall warts with
switching power supplies also tend to be noisy.

>Antenna is a log periodic type.

Big, ugly, broadband, and low gain.

>We are thinking of using Buffalo brand equipment with Omni
>directional antenna, flatbed antenna, and 32 mW access points.
>Point-to-point distances are less than 500 meters.

It's called a patch or a panel antenna. Flatbed is a scanner or
plotter. At 1500ft, you'll need at least 8dBi of antenna gain and
very little coax loss. If you have line-o-sight, you should have no
problems at 1500ft.

# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us