OS reinstall after Duron to Athlon XP upgrade?

zappologist

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
I have recently upgraded from a Duron 1300 and K7VZA mb to an AMD XP 2400 on a K7S8X mb. I had a dual OS WinXP and Win98. With the new hardware my pc goes to the dual OS choice screen and restarts every time I choose XP. If I choose Win98 it continues normally and the system is operational (if one does not mind the reinstallation of a million drivers and so on…) Now, I have a second computer, it’s always best if you can afford one, which I used for cross testing. It’s running on Win98 only but does its job. When I confronted this second computer with the new hardware I was pretty sure that it will work fine, given my prior experience with the first computer where the new hardware seemed to have no problem on Win 98. Well, at least it tries! It enters the Win98 just up to the first “new hardware found - PCI to PCI port etc. bla bla bla” screen then we are stuck ladies and gentlemen … because no input method is available. Both my mouse and keyboard don’t work now – although they have no physical problem, cables OK, the keyboard works fine at the start up (when I enter BIOS Setup for example)
I seem to have failed in my quest to perform an upgrade without OS reinstall. Last night I even had a confirmation of my failure when I found an old hard disk and installed Win 98 just to see what happens. It worked fine…but that was not the solution I was looking for. I don’t want to reinstall. I’ve got my system working perfectly and it will be too much work to do it again. Could someone shed some light on this issue? Was my quest doomed to failure from the beginning? Was I too stupid (or too misinformed on current hardware affairs) to even attempt such a project? I would greatly appreciate your hints ant tips.

G

When you change the motherboard, you've basically got a different computer and still need to install drivers and what not. Even if thats the only thing that you changed. Perhaps you could try to do a repair install of the O/S and see if that works. However, IMO, a clean install of windows is in order.

zappologist

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
Thank you KlutZ. Some called Slick9 at the Experts Exchange suggested the same thing as you and gave some details. I sure hope it works. Thanks for your reply.

"I would suggest a repair installation to reset the hardware specs.

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more information about how to do this, please refer to your computer's documentation or contact your computer manufacturer.

Insert your Windows XP compact disc (CD) into your CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.

(You can also boot with a Windows 98/Me Startup disk with CD support and run WINNT.EXE in the I386 folder on the CD)

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. Do not select this option.

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup. "