Sign in with
Your question

Need some HELP PLEASE !

Last response: in Video Games
December 28, 2006 5:37:12 PM

I am considering getting a 360.
I've been a PC Gamer all my life, and nowadays the games for the PC just suck or ports from Xbox. Is there anyone here that used to playing on the PC and switched to the console. that can help me decide what to do?
I invested into a new Geforce 8800 GTX video card but i sent it back, because i realized how quick the price is falling so i decided to hold off until Vista is released.

Tell me what do you guys think.

More about : question

December 28, 2006 7:41:16 PM

If you've got the cash (and who's fooling who here, you got a GTX and plan to jump on Vista) I'd do both. Frankly, I was a console gamer in the 80s to early 90s, switched to PC exclusively when Doom 2 came out, and didn't own another console until Xbox. I may own a Xbox, a 360, and a Wii now, but I will never give up PC games. And neither should you.

There are about as many console ports on PCs as their are PC ports on consoles. If you've got both, you can follow a golden rule of gaming: Don't play ports. Get the game for the system it was meant for and your enjoyment will generally increase. (Ask anyone who played Psychonauts on the PC, or Half-Life 2 on a console.)

If you're concerned about games stagnating, I'd say it's time to either step away from games for a while (you know, maybe a week :wink: ) or try something new. A different genre perhaps, a lesser-rated title/cult hit, or my personal favorite, grab an old classic out of the bargain bin and see what all the fuss was about. You could also try your hand at content creation, or download XNA and have some fun making games! Nothing helps you appreciate games more than making your own.

Hope that helps.
December 28, 2006 8:40:02 PM

Well i don't have the cash right now to spend it on a new video card as well as an xbox. I just feel like we are playing the dumbed down versions of the console games on the PC. I understand you point of playing the games on the original platform that the game was released to but in that case in this year i would have bought maybe 1 game for the PC and that would have been Company of Heroes. I am a PC gamer since the good old DOS days and these past 2-3 years were shite on the PC.

I just feel like i am paying for the premium hardware by buying all the top notch video cards and processors and getting medio core gameplay. Why don't we see game graphics like Gears of War on the PC? We certainly do have the hardware to run it. After all the Xbox 360 is just a PC.
Related resources
December 28, 2006 9:00:10 PM

Well, short story on GoW is that it was the first Unreal Engine 3 game. The big ones are comming to the PC. GoW (and Roboblitz for that matter) are only a taste of things to come.

Another thing to note is the cycle shift of games. Every time a the big consoles come out (generally four to five years) there's an industry shift to produce the big titles there. Consequently, PC titles suffer. The thing about cycles though is the shift back. In a couple years consoles won't look as good and developers will be releasing "console killers" that every fanboi will scream to be ported to his now under-performing system.

One good thing about the game cycle is upgrade periods. It's best to upgrade when the hot items come. You didn't say what your specs were, but you probably won't need to upgrade until the big titles arrive. That should clear your pocket book for console gaming if you choose to go that route. When that stagnates, shift back. That's the cheapest way to play both sides of the fence and stay reasonably current.
December 28, 2006 9:25:00 PM

AMD X2 4600, 2GB Dual channel ram, 8800GTX was because i returned it. Right now i am just running on a back up video card.
December 28, 2006 9:30:59 PM

What's the backup card? The rest is good.
December 28, 2006 9:36:07 PM

Quote:
What's the backup card? The rest is good.

LOL i don't even know its just a piece of crap PCI card i bought on a garage sale or something just to get my PC running for checking e-mails and stuff.
It is for times like these when i am upgrading or RMA-ing my card.
It is a Geforce 5200 or something like that. I can get something for around a $100 to get around until at least the 88xx series video cards come down in price.

Maybe i get an xbox until next march or so and then get a new video card.

I was thinking of getting the core version of the console. Do you think i need the Pro version or core should be enough? Can i still save games with the core version?

What do you have?
December 28, 2006 10:32:42 PM

No, I wouldn't recommend the core to anyone unless they really couldn't afford the extra 100...for months! :wink: So, as you can guess, I have the $400 model. You can save with the core model if you buy a memory card. But you wouldn't be able to download content bigger than about 50MB from Xbox Live, and some features (which I unfortunately can't remember ATM) are not supported without a hard-drive.

Really, it upsets me that MS and Sony released stripped versions of their consoles. Some people would think it's great for those on a budget, but you're really restricting it's usefullness and your ultimate enjoyment, which is the point of the purchase. You'd eventually hit a point where you'd want to upgrade, but it'll cost you almost twice as much to buy the extra parts. (The hard-drive alone is $100!) If you can't afford the standard 360, I'd recommend you save up.
January 1, 2007 11:50:44 AM

Quote:
No, I wouldn't recommend the core to anyone unless they really couldn't afford the extra 100...for months! :wink: So, as you can guess, I have the $400 model. You can save with the core model if you buy a memory card. But you wouldn't be able to download content bigger than about 50MB from Xbox Live, and some features (which I unfortunately can't remember ATM) are not supported without a hard-drive.

Really, it upsets me that MS and Sony released stripped versions of their consoles. Some people would think it's great for those on a budget, but you're really restricting it's usefullness and your ultimate enjoyment, which is the point of the purchase. You'd eventually hit a point where you'd want to upgrade, but it'll cost you almost twice as much to buy the extra parts. (The hard-drive alone is $100!) If you can't afford the standard 360, I'd recommend you save up.

Ok i went out and got myself an Xbox360. It came with GRAW. Then i rented Gears of War. I had fun for about 2 days. Graphics are pretty, the multiplayer was somewhat fun but i could not get used to the control. I was just so missing the keyboard + mouse.
I gave it a few more tries, but then i went back to my PC to play GRAW multiplayer, because the experience was just so much better.

I was using my monitor because i don't have an HD TV. Then yesterday i returned the XBOX. :) 
It was good to try it but it made me realize what i really want, and that is PC gaming. XBOX is not for me.

Thanks for all your help though i really appreciate it.
January 1, 2007 10:28:12 PM

No problem at all. Consoles aren't for everyone. Judging from the games you played, it looks like you prefer shooters anyway. Generally speaking, you've got to enjoy more genres to appreciate console gaming. Well, as long as your happy, eh?

Have a great New Year.
!