Does rel 2 fix GA-7VRXP?

hassled_dad

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2002
I've checked this forum and others, and there seems to be some consensus that release 2 of this MOB should fix the problems. Is this the case?

Secondly, the main problems seem to be with GeForce 4xxx video cards. Are there problems with other video cards?

I'm looking for a fast but stable system to replace my aged PII 233. I'm not heavily into games, I just want to build something that will last for some time (and that I can maybe edit DV on). The GA-7VRXP is attractive from feature/performance/price but only if it works!

From other posts, it looks like Asus or MSI boards offer reasonble alternatives, but no board is consistently 100% free of problems. Unless you can tell me of one...

You're only as old as you let yourself be.

cableguy22

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
I had GA-7VRXP bios v2.0 with MSI Geforce 4 for 3 days now, and OMG I couldn't belive how I got screwed by reading/believing TMG review! This board constantly crashes and won't pass 3dpcmark, 3d games will lockup on me... I am tired of fighting so decided not to mess with voltages and ship it back to newegg.com instead I am getting abit, it's $50 more, but at least I heard only good things about... I guess price says it all, what you pay is what you get and don't belive any reviews, I wish I have read this forum throughly before I ordered mine...

Qroo

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2002
I've had my 7VRXP, with an Abit GF4 card, for a couple of months now and have never had a lockup.
Am using the latest F7 bios,Via 4.38 drivers, and no pci cards in slot 1 so as to prevent any IRQ conflicts. Have 4 harddisks, using the raid controller as ATA, and CD-R and CD-RW. Am quite happy.

cableguy22

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
I assume you use your PCs primarily for just applications, I tried many 3d games (MOHAA, SOF2, Quake) and it crashed every single time, either right a way or maybe 5 min after playing. Just today I started getting blue screens, and sponteneous reboots. (also I applied the patch for AMD processors with WinXP) My tyan tiger S2460 is a year old and way more reliable then this gigabyte... so my suggestion is if you don't play games then this board is fine, but if you do then stay away!