playing dvd's with xp home

Tags:
  • DVD
  • Windows XP
June 17, 2004 5:58:41 PM

I bought my son an IBM 750mhz laptop recently at a
computer show. It was running Win2k, and has a dvd player.
The player played clear dvd bought movies. He crashed, and
I bought xp, reformatted, and now, no dvd support.
Any ideas?

More about : playing dvd home

Anonymous
June 17, 2004 8:07:42 PM

1. Open XP's "Help and Support"
2. Type DVD in the search box, hit enter.
3. Click on "DVD Troubleshooter".
4. You probably need a new DVD decoder.

DVD Support in Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/windowsxp...

DVD Decoders
http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/answerstips/jump/0,2...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"gmoney" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

|I bought my son an IBM 750mhz laptop recently at a
| computer show. It was running Win2k, and has a dvd player.
| The player played clear dvd bought movies. He crashed, and
| I bought xp, reformatted, and now, no dvd support.
| Any ideas?
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 1:20:57 AM

By default, Windows Media Player does not include a DVD decoder.
You'll need a 3rd party app such as PowerDVD, which gives full DVD menu
access.
Ironically, once you do this, Media Player will become DVD compatible too.
But you won't need it!
Entering 'dvd decoder' in Windows Help will link you to some MS recommended
suppliers,
but there's probably freeware somewhere out there too.

Hope this helps
Chek

--
Change' boos' to 'bos' in address to email directly
!