looking to build a p4 server with i845e chipset

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
does anyone have any experience with this chipset? what is a good board and ram that utilizes the 533mhz "quadpump" technology?

....the birds seemed to be calling him, thought caw....

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
ok, well, heres what i think im getting.....

Intel Pentium 4 / 2.26GHz Northwood 512K Socket 478 Processor 533MHz Processor Bus Retail Box - $274

ASUS P4B533 Motherboard for Intel P4 478 - $146

4 x 125mb DDR PC2700 - $89.99

i'll get a 400watt pwr supply and a promise raid card, and 5 80gb wd hard drives with the 8mb buffer.

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
just so you know...i just built a fax server based off a P4 1.6a (no overclocking allowed) w/ the asus P4B533 and some crucial PC2100 ECC ram last week...
it seems to perform well...we havent used it for faxing yet...we've just been testing it with burn in programs and such...
just remember...the 845 series chipset supports ECC ram <b>BUT</b> it does not support Registered ram....so make sure its Unregistered ram you're getting...

:eek: <b>L <font color=red>A</font color=red> e <font color=red>T</font color=red> a <font color=red>I</font color=red> K</b> :eek:

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
i the only reason i recommended the intel chipset to my IT department is because its intel....why not have an intel chipset with an intel processor...not only that...the 845E supports ECC ram...where the sis645(dx) does not...
just for the record...i own the asus P4S333 (sis 645 chipset)...

:eek: <b>L <font color=red>A</font color=red> e <font color=red>T</font color=red> a <font color=red>I</font color=red> K</b> :eek:

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
well, that cetainly looks like the way to go for me. can i ask you one more question? i know absolutely nothing about raid cards. if i want to set up a disk mirror on the system partition and raid 5 on the other partition, what raid card would you suggest?

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What are you serving? data? webpages? what kind of data throughput are you talking about? should you consider a board with 64/66 PCI?

SCSI or IDE?

How many drives in the RAID 5? Hot spares?

SCSI: <A HREF="http://www.mylex.com/products/lcr/ac352/aclrd352_ds.html" target="_new">http://www.mylex.com/products/lcr/ac352/aclrd352_ds.html</A> - Use one channel for RAID 1 system disks and the other channel for RAID 5 data array

IDE:
One of 3Ware Escalade 7210 for two system disks in RAID 1
+
One of either 3Ware Escalade 7500-4 (four drives) or 7500-8 (eight drives) for RAID 5 data array.

- JW

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
im pretty confused about all this, but the server is not going to be under alot of stress, that for sure. its replacing a pentium pro. i was gonna go with ide drives. i think im gonna keep the old system for log on and this on will be for apps and storage. what do you mean about a board with 64/66 pci? what are benefits and other options?

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
opps...i totally forgot about this thread...sorry about that...anyways...my knowledge of raid cards is very limited...so i wouldnt be much help there...

wseaton

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
Tdean,

I strongly suggest sticking to Intel/Intel combination motherboards for any sort of professional use. The only non-intel chipsets I recommend for Intel CPUs are ServerWorks. Get it? SiS is alternative garbage meant to sell ad space and VIA isn't a whole lot better. I deploy mid-line servers and build clones on the side, and to be honest I look at even the fastest clones as not much more than toys compared to lets say a multi processor Dell PowerEdge 2500. Still, one of those puppies decked out for bear will run you about $3000 with PERC3 and RAM. You can of course build a nice 'home brew' file server for about 1/3 that will suit the need nicely, if you buy solid components. That's the key.

If you're going to go alternative then look into a Athlon/AMD combination. Personally I think the P4 is a paper tiger compared to the better Athlon/AMD based motherboards, but.....Intel is a standard and many IT managers still cringe when they think of running production services off an AMD chip. To bad really since the better Athlon/AMD boards are as good as anything made by Intel in my experience. Midline Intel based servers however are in a different zip code than AMD.

So, stick to P4/Intel chipsets if you go that route. If you go non-Intel go Athlon/AMD. Nuff said....

OK, let me give the lecture about RAID controllers. Promise and the rest of the ilk need to be sued for false advertising because they are not true RAID cards, and Tom needs to stop endorsing this crap and being a hypocrite. They are nothing more than cheap, EIDE controllers with some logic built in to do channel mirroring, etc. They are no better performance wise than integrated graphics and have the same limits and marketing lies. They basically gang-bang your CPU and cause a serious peformance bottleneck when it comes to any time of network/file services on Windows based systems.

This is why SCSI is the standard on production servers and you rarely find an EIDE controller or AGP slot in a main-line server. Who needs that f^^^^^g Toys-R-Us crap that's only good for Quake benchmarks in a production server???

Somebody mentioned 3ware controllers above and they deserve a Hi Five, and Tom needs a slap in his stupid head for not talking about TRUE EIDE based RAID solutions, or maybe he doesn't know the difference. Stuff that Promise, onboard fake RAID EIDE junk because that's what it is. Just look at the cards....cheap, single chip based IC boards built no better than a $5.00, no brand NIC picked up at a flea market. You want data on that?

A 2-channel 3ware card will run you about $100-125, is a true, respected industry solution for RAID services, will do hardware based drive mirroring and run with virtually any IDE drive or PC you can stick it in. In my experience they can almost keep up with the better Adaptec SCSI cards in terms of performance and will whip integrated SCSI solutions, which I hate as well and only find marginally better than integrated EIDE.

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
SiS is alternative garbage meant to sell ad space and VIA isn't a whole lot better.
i resent that remark...i doubt any of sis' recent P4 chipsets are garbage...however...i do agree that intel chipsets are the way to go for servers...

wseaton

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
I really could care less if you're offended or not. The reality is that SiS and to a lesser extent VIA exist only to fill the needs of the bottom tier PC/MoBo makers. SiS gets a couple of good benchmarks on this site and all of a sudden everybody forgets how much crap these guys have been making for the past decade or that will be used clog up landfills while Intel chipset based machines have a couple years of use left. I have a good memory and so do corporate IT departments that I work with. I can install Win2K or XP on a 'BX' based Intel CPU of any speed and expect good, reliable performance. Older SiS and VIA based machines get thrown in the trash because they can't run anything other than Win95 efficiently regardless of how fast their processors are.

I used to hear your same whining about the K6. Those machines (hyped by this site as well) are now worthless junk unable to run anything other than Win95 or a Linux kernel while Intel based machines of the same mhz are still viable workstations.

Know what I do with a SiS based clone slower than 1mhz? I make it a thin client dumb terminal or print server. That's what what I think of SiS and what it's good for. I can tell a VIA or SiS based MB without even using CPUid. All I have to do is pull a file from it across the LAN, and if it's slower than the Intel based machine of the same Mhz it's likely an SiS (or possibly VIA).

I give VIA credit for doing some radical things like making SMP based motherboards possible for a very cheap price and trying to stay in the game with Intel even though they will lose in the long run. I'm used to deploying $15,000 custom servers on a weekly basis, but I will take Athlon/AMD over Intel/SiS or VIA any day without hesitation.

Sorry dude, but Intel knows how to build chipsets to match their processors better than VIA and SiS can, the same with AMD, and a short history of this industry proves this. The main logic to using this garbage is to feel cool because you're doing something alternative to what mainstream vendors are supplying (or adults). These chipsets are engineered and produced to be used with the most bottom end PC's. I recommend people get the most for the money for building clones and if spending $25 more dollars increases the lifespan of your PC a few years, then it's money well spent.

wseaton

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
Says you, and the "sites" you mention cater to "technicians" that think "network engineering" is tweaking registry MTU settings to make their cable modems faster. For your information, ServerWorks builds the best non-Intel chipsets.

I go by my experience auditing corporations and large numbers of PC's and not BS benchmarks that have no meaning. I suppose you like SiS because of over-clocking capability or a Quake frame-rate. Given a group of a hundred random PC's in one my audits it's always the non-Intel chipset based ones that are suffering the highest MTF rates, compatibility problems, random crashes and lowest performance margins. Athlon/AMD is giving Intel some good competition and generating some respect and I'd give a nut to put together a SMP Athlon system. SiS, Ali, and VIA are only benefitting from 15-minutes of fame. They are basically competing for the spot of best low end chip-set vendor. How flattering.

Sersiously, if SiS and Ali were so good you'd find them in Blade servers, Dell's, and higher end motherboards. Instead you find them in E-machines and Packard Bell. That should tell you something.

All irrelevant anyways since the clone industry is on a downslope to oblivion. 3years ago I could build a clone from good parts and be guaranteed it would be faster and cheaper than a name brand machine. Now your workstation class Dell is actually cheaper, faster and more reliable because of the changing market.

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
first off...i dont remember myself ever mentioning the fact that sis makes better chipsets then intel for servers (in fact...i recommeneded an intel chipset for our server at work and to the original poster)...
I can install Win2K or XP on a 'BX' based Intel CPU of any speed and expect good, reliable performance.
i bet any 15 year old computer enthusiast can (like you <b>AMD_Man</b> :wink: )...besides...a lot of people know that the BX based chipset was great...i even have one on my old slot 1 PIII 500 running win2k (for over a year right now) and it works great...
SiS and VIA based machines get thrown in the trash because they can't run anything other than Win95 efficiently regardless of how fast their processors are.
i couldnt agree more...but if you read my post carefully...i said sis' recent chipsets are reliable and fast...VIA (on the otherhand) is somewhat questionable...
I used to hear your same whining about the K6. Those machines (hyped by this site as well) are now worthless junk unable to run anything other than Win95 or a Linux kernel while Intel based machines of the same mhz are still viable workstations.
i sure hope you're not referring to me personally...because i have not made any comments about amd's K6 processor...i have worked with the K6 processor before though...but i havent had any complaints about them....
Sorry dude, but Intel knows how to build chipsets to match their processors better than VIA and SiS can, the same with AMD, and a short history of this industry proves this.
intel, of course, knows how to build great chipsets for their processors...but does that explain why they released the sdram supported 845 chipset that makes the performance of the P4 equal to or less than a 1 ghz PIII about 6 months before they added ddr support for the P4? and even with ddr supported...intel only supported pc2100 ram...which doesnt provide enough memory bandwidth to support the P4...given...the 845 chipset is rock stable...but is it worth getting when another company's PIII based server runs more efficient than "your" sdram based P4?
The main logic to using this garbage is to feel cool because you're doing something alternative to what mainstream vendors are supplying (or adults).
the main reason for me purchasing the sis chipset is because i was impressed with the performance with the P4 and ddr333 ram (this was back in Nov '01)...sis' 645 chipset's performance rivaled that of intel's rdram supported 850 chipset....
this doesnt mean that i was going to tell everyone to get a sis chipset because sis can match the performance of rdram with slower ddr ram...
sis currently manufactures great chipsets...even if they made some unfortunate mistakes in the past...at least they are making up for it now...
besides...why are you speaking of all these "old" chipsets anyways?...a lot of mid-sized company have trashed those old chipsets and have upgraded to at least the BX based PIII....

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
wseaton,
great post.... whew... i have a lot more to think about. give me a day or two so i can do some more research, and i'll repost my hardware choices. try to remember to check back....

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
i bet any 15 year old computer enthusiast can (like you AMD_Man )...besides...a lot of people know that the BX based chipset was great...i even have one on my old slot 1 PIII 500 running win2k (for over a year right now) and it works great...
Well, I'm almost 16 now, so I tell people I'm 16. :wink: :wink: :tongue:

Only a couple of months 'til I can drive a car! Whooopee! :smile:

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Says you, and the "sites" you mention cater to "technicians" that think "network engineering" is tweaking registry MTU settings to make their cable modems faster. For your information, ServerWorks builds the best non-Intel chipsets.
I'll be getting my Cisco certification from school this year, if it makes you feel any better! :wink: I haven't tried an SiS board myself, but I can tell you that they are selling like hotcakes for the P4 at the moment. The P4S533 is the highlight of SiS boards.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink: