More PS3's than 360's?

Xpyrofuryx

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Ok, so I was at the Best buy near me yesterday... and guess what? They actually had more PS3s sitting on their shelves than Xbox 360s. And the guy who worked there said theyre having a hard time selling the PS3s

gatoatigrado

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I heard that about the $600 ones. $100 for wifi is probably not worth it. nvidia seemed surprised when few were buying their 8800 gtx graphics cards. it's not unlikely.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Yeah... PS3 launch has been a big, fat disappointment so far. Everything I'm reading is saying that this gen of games gets it's arse handed to it by Microsoft's offerings (I read an interview by MS people where they said they were going to try to stay one step ahead of Sony with their games). But, I have some hope that the PS3 will offer some better games in the future (even though I will never buy one at least it would be good for the people that got stabbed just to get one).

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Yeah... PS3 launch has been a big, fat disappointment so far. Everything I'm reading is saying that this gen of games gets it's arse handed to it by Microsoft's offerings (I read an interview by MS people where they said they were going to try to stay one step ahead of Sony with their games). But, I have some hope that the PS3 will offer some better games in the future (even though I will never buy one at least it would be good for the people that got stabbed just to get one).

eh, most of them failed to sell their consoles on ebay and returned them to the stores, causing an excess of surplus and no interested buyers. A lot of the PS3s that sold on ebay were gyped by the buyer because it was a dummy account made by bitter people who wanted to hurt the scalpers. No buyer, console got returned.

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Thank goodness. I'd hate for this to be the start of a trend, as ebay wasn't a driving force in the last generation. Though I shudder to think what detterents would come from the big players to prevent a repeat incident.

jaedaddy

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
you have to realize though, that the people at ps3 have taken this into account... most consumers and actually just the American way of thinking is so short term... the ps3 was never supposed to overwhelm the market at its opening. The japanese never intended it to out sell the wii in 2006 ... however bleak the situation looks for ps3.. they will outdo the 360 and wii in a matter of 4 years... why?

1. blueray - as the technology of gaming and movies moves toward this new generation... the games for ps3 systems for incur about 1000% profit... are you reading this?. ... A 1000% profit... as opposed to the 200-700% profit of other systems therefore in the long run when people have the systems they want and are no longer buying systems but new games.... ps3 will far outsell (in profit) the competition hands down.

2. expandability - the amount of visual graphic improvements possible is quite limited to disk space/hd space for both the 360 and wii.. this is not a problem for the ps3 as its 5 year plan already has the prospects for EVEN better graphix and gameplay registered in its plan...

3. loyalty of customers/game makers - the ps family just like any other console family has its line of loyal followers... the 360 has the halo heads/madden heads... wii has the zelda series and the smash brothers craze... and ps3 will have... final fantasy, devil may cry series, winning eleven, metal gear solid, etc etc etc etc....

what am i trying to say here...? basically that ps has developed too strong of a following in its games and a loyalty to the creators (square enix back in the day, etc etc) for them to flop... yes its already 2007 but let's not forget... while we talk with hindsight of whats happened... around 100,000 people at the ps office have done years of research to forsee this happening... and they still released the system at the same time as wii..

their aim is not for instant domination but its of trust in their product and the faithfulness of their past customers....

let's not be so shallow as to look at the current maybe 2 month old figures... and shake our heads at ps... watch as in 4 years the tables will most likely drastically turn...

jae
mlb

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
you have to realize though, that the people at ps3 have taken this into account... most consumers and actually just the American way of thinking is so short term... the ps3 was never supposed to overwhelm the market at its opening. The japanese never intended it to out sell the wii in 2006 ... however bleak the situation looks for ps3.. they will outdo the 360 and wii in a matter of 4 years... why?

umm, they have been saying that it will in fact have unbelievably strong sales early on. what are you basing this on? Pure conjecture?

1. blueray - as the technology of gaming and movies moves toward this new generation... the games for ps3 systems for incur about 1000% profit... are you reading this?. ... A 1000% profit... as opposed to the 200-700% profit of other systems therefore in the long run when people have the systems they want and are no longer buying systems but new games.... ps3 will far outsell (in profit) the competition hands down.

This is banking on the idea that blueray will win the next media war, and even then, what are you basing that 1000% profit off of? I've actually read that the profit margins for PS3 games, due to more expensive media and difficulty with development, will be narrower than previous, not wider.

2. expandability - the amount of visual graphic improvements possible is quite limited to disk space/hd space for both the 360 and wii.. this is not a problem for the ps3 as its 5 year plan already has the prospects for EVEN better graphix and gameplay registered in its plan...

how will more disk space effect graphics? That makes no sense. The storage space affects how many save games you can store without extra storage and how many downloaded games you can store, but it has no effect at all on graphics. Maybe you are thinking RAM, which the 360 has twice as much of over the PS3.

3. loyalty of customers/game makers - the ps family just like any other console family has its line of loyal followers... the 360 has the halo heads/madden heads... wii has the zelda series and the smash brothers craze... and ps3 will have... final fantasy, devil may cry series, winning eleven, metal gear solid, etc etc etc etc....

Yes they have some good developers in their corral, but there is little that can stop those developers from bailing ship. MS owns most of their top developers, as does Nintendo. I know several playstation fans who have turned their back on Sony as a result of the PS3. This point is a weak one.

what am i trying to say here...? basically that ps has developed too strong of a following in its games and a loyalty to the creators (square enix back in the day, etc etc) for them to flop... yes its already 2007 but let's not forget... while we talk with hindsight of whats happened... around 100,000 people at the ps office have done years of research to forsee this happening... and they still released the system at the same time as wii..

Lets not forget that if the system doesn't sell early on, then few people will have the system and therefore developers will not produce for the system, which means fewer sales of the system later on, which means fewer people own it, which means fewer developers will develop for it. Long sighted approaches to the console market die early. That is what happened to every other high dollar console that ever came out.

their aim is not for instant domination but its of trust in their product and the faithfulness of their past customers....

let's not be so shallow as to look at the current maybe 2 month old figures... and shake our heads at ps... watch as in 4 years the tables will most likely drastically turn...

I'll give you waiting 6 months for better numbers, but if the PS3 has not established itself better in 6 months, then developers will start bailing out or making more cross platform games.

jaedaddy

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
japanese forums and homeland sites i guess... youre right, none of my claims are really supported in any american journal or anything... but you have to realize that business is different in japan... i've read the articles about developers jumping ship to 360 cuz its easier... but no one says a jump in technology is ever easy... cassete tapes to cd players.... wav to mp3s... though to younger ones seem like the technology just switched if you look at the trend it took a good while for the consumers to cling to the idea... and now look... those same trends are now household staples... (ok so cd players are out cuz of mp3 players... etc etc... ) but u get the idea...

the japanese OF COURSE said they were expecting to get big out the start.... what kind of company pr would allow them to say different? The big point of the marketers is that they want people to think they need the ps3 now! and whos gonna think that if they say "oh.. we expect it to be slow... but it'll pick up..." no company in their right mind (disclaimer: with such a large world media coverage) would EVER state that... but in knowing the trend of such companies i can predict that ps3 will not be a flop at all...

but you are right... only time will tell =)

thanks for the intelligent response ^^
^ this isnt sarcastic... just incase someone would think so... its sincere.. =)

jae
mlb

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I will be buying one, and most gamers like me that like consol RPG’s will be buying one too. I will of course be waiting till a game worthy of a purchase is released before doing this and most other people who like games like Final Fantasy and Metal Gear will too. The consumer is not stupid, just small percentages are and this is where most PS3’s have sold too currently.

Right now, and I am sure almost all of you will agree with me on this. The PS3 cannot offer me anything more than my 360 can, that is of course not to say that the tables will not turn in the future, as I am certain they will.

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Interesting to read this insider information (he must have an inside information source) telling us that Sony actually INTENDED to have poor release sales numbers. Kudos to you for torturing that information out of an actual Sony exec! :roll:

anyways, big surprise. it's got nothing on the xbox360 so far which has a year head start, and though I want neither, I will be nothing but happy if Sony crashes and burns on this in the long term. They are an arrogant company, and strongarm consumers without concern for what they want.

go Nintendo! Appealing to all of us long-term gamers being able to download our favourite classics for a reasonable price, and even appealing to older gamers who have never touched a console! Finally meeting their company objective from the beginning, which was to make a FAMILY entertainment system. They have gone one step further, even making it a SOCIAL system encouraging friends to get together!

jaedaddy

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
I don't appreciate the sarcasm... i didnt say they expected poor release...i said that they have taken into account the probability that it wouldnt sell like crazy. please don't use ur impatience to put words into my mouth... they havent even done too shabby... is it poor opening quarter? sure... but i'd say 1 million units sold before the new year is not exactly "oh let's give up on ps3" either... please hold your sarcasm for another site... :roll:

jae
mlb

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
I don't appreciate the sarcasm... i didnt say they expected poor release...i said that they have taken into account the probability that it wouldnt sell like crazy. please don't use ur impatience to put words into my mouth... they havent even done too shabby... is it poor opening quarter? sure... but i'd say 1 million units sold before the new year is not exactly "oh let's give up on ps3" either... please hold your sarcasm for another site... :roll:

jae
mlb

They didn't sell a million units. They shipped a million units by year's end. Big difference.

There are tons of PS3s sitting on shelves around here, and not one Wii. That doesn't bode well for Sony. With game developers seeing where their money can come from, would any developer want to spend money on a system that is still on shelves, or on one that is selling out the minute they hit the sales floor? Even those fools on eBay are finding out that they can't sell their PS3s for the outrageous prices, and some aren't even selling for retail prices now. Can't say the same for the Wii though.

Sony has to do something to push their console, and I don't believe that they can afford a price cut, since they are losing somewhere close to $200 a unit right now. They can only hope for a "must have" game to arrive, and soon, or they'll be in dire straits this year.

Here's a link of an analyst's prediction of the PS3 sales:
Red Herring article

Here's another article (more Blog) that collected statements from various developers and resources. One of the worse statements coming from Gabe Newell of Valve:
"The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think It's really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted. I'd say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a "do over". Just say, "This was a horrible disaster and we're sorry and we're going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it""
Games Blog

Take it for what you want, but again, it doesn't really bode well for Sony.

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
the japanese OF COURSE said they were expecting to get big out the start.... what kind of company pr would allow them to say different? The big point of the marketers is that they want people to think they need the ps3 now! and whos gonna think that if they say "oh.. we expect it to be slow... but it'll pick up..." no company in their right mind (disclaimer: with such a large world media coverage) would EVER state that... but in knowing the trend of such companies i can predict that ps3 will not be a flop at all...

Ok I'll quote your words. Above, you indicate that they could have said if it were not for marketing, "oh... we expect it to be slow... but it'll pick up...". I realize you are not quoting someone's actual words, but you make a HUGE assumption there about the company's position/thoughts.

Your post was full of assumptions of what the company is saying/thinking, and what they REALLY say/think behind closed doors. My sarcasm was in response to this post which was totally void of any information, but rather full of conjecture.

Of course this is just a forum and not a published article, so you can throw out all the guesses and assumptions you want. However, expect that others will take the same liberties to reply with sarcasm and/or disagreement with your point of view.

jaedaddy

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
youre right... guess i was just feeling like being a big baby at the moment of the retort. sorry ... no hard feelings but my opinion stands... i dont believe its that far of a reach to assume that a multi-million or billion dollar company would have done its research on the effects of ebaying and competition faring with the wii...

i could be giving them too much credit but i'd still like to believe that just like the trend with any big shift in technology(blueray) the important thing was patience... and it's been 2-3 months since ps3 has hit the market? I guess i should have been wiser with my choice of words... but thats a forum right?

thanks for the opinions and comments... hopefully in 6 months i'll start another post called "i told you so" hahaha jk

appreciate all the replies =)
good to know the community is alive and kickin even if it means i'm proven weak in my arguments

jae
mlb

AleroinBlack

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
OK well i'm not sure about this. But i read somewhere that as of Christmas 2006, after just over a month after launch, that PS3 had just as many systems sold as Xbox360's identical launch period. (so like a month after 360's launch). If anyone has links (no unbacked info or opinions please) supporting or disproving this statement, i would like to see it. (I am at work, so i dont have access to many game related sites) It would be interesting to compare the two in that respect. because comparing current xbox360 games to current ps3 games, is like comparing ps2 games at the time of xbox's release to their release games.....YOU CAN'T DO IT. Give the developers time to release the quality games. Both consoles stand a great chance at becoming the next gen console winner. Lets face it though, in next gen terms, (HD, image quality, etc) Wii doesn't hold a candle. But they do take the cake for intuitive gaming! Now if casual gamers take over the gaming industry, Wii will win the sales contest and be the ultimate console....but as long as enthusists control the industry, Wii is just going to stay as that innovative game system everyone remembers that changed a portion of the industry.

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
OK well i'm not sure about this. But i read somewhere that as of Christmas 2006, after just over a month after launch, that PS3 had just as many systems sold as Xbox360's identical launch period. (so like a month after 360's launch). If anyone has links (no unbacked info or opinions please) supporting or disproving this statement, i would like to see it. (I am at work, so i dont have access to many game related sites) It would be interesting to compare the two in that respect. because comparing current xbox360 games to current ps3 games, is like comparing ps2 games at the time of xbox's release to their release games.....YOU CAN'T DO IT. Give the developers time to release the quality games. Both consoles stand a great chance at becoming the next gen console winner. Lets face it though, in next gen terms, (HD, image quality, etc) Wii doesn't hold a candle. But they do take the cake for intuitive gaming! Now if casual gamers take over the gaming industry, Wii will win the sales contest and be the ultimate console....but as long as enthusists control the industry, Wii is just going to stay as that innovative game system everyone remembers that changed a portion of the industry.

wii is the only "next gen" console. xbox360 and ps3 are more of the same with prettier pictures. If they come up with great new games power to them, but then it's the games themselves which are "next gen" and generate the success. as far as the console itself, you will get used to the HD picture quality very quickly. Once you've played on it for a month straight, the HD will look like standard definition, because that is what you are always seeing! PC's resolution has increased dramatically over the years too, does that mean that new games are all better than old games? Certainly not because of their resolution, but rather because of great ideas like internet multiplayer, new perspectives, ability to use vehicles, and the list goes on. arguably, there are some classic games which are just as good, with FAR worse resolution in PC games.

If you don't personally like the wii control concept, then I could understand your disinterest certainly. however, I strongly disagree with any suggestion that a console is not "next gen" without fancy resolution and pretty pictures. I saw a PS3 racing game in a store the other day playing in HD, beside myself playing excite truck on the Wii. I felt the PS3 looked moderately better, but there was a lot more interesting stuff going on with my screen than theirs, and I was much more "in to" the game with my physical movements.

Don't let the media and marketing convince you that anything not "HD" is bad and inferior. You do realize "HD" resolutions have been around in PC's for years right? now they're just giving 3 or 4 different resolution levels the "HiDef" label (720i, 1080i, etc). It's really not as special or new as it seems. I am more pissed off that they are so non-standardized, to the point where I am losing interest. I am not sure I could buy a LCD tv/plasma with all my needs, able to look OK for analog cable, 420p Nintendo Wii, 720i/p broadcast and commercials, and 1080i/p movies, with coax, component, composite, svideo, hdmi, digital in+out audio ports AND the soon to be required HDCP copyright protection.

even if I found a TV with all of that stuff, then I still need an external cable/satellite box to watch HD TV? that's retarded. cable boxes are ancient technology, they went out of analog cable MANY YEARS ago. get the damn decoders back into the TVs already. leave the recording capability in a vcr/dvd/blueray/hard drive type device. Why can't it be simplified like that THE WAY IT USED TO BE??? because of greedy Hollywood pissing off their customers.

AleroinBlack

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
If your talking about "Next Gen" being just controller movement being put into games, then you have no idea what 'next gen' means. Like i said, it's a super neat idea and hands down the Wii is the most innovative system to date. Your view of Hidef is a rather uneducated one. Your comparing a computer signal to current hi definition. Wow. What a misjudgement. So i guess your arguing that you can't tell the difference in a game like fear between 800x600 and 1920x1080? Or the difference between regular dvds, (720x480p) and blu-ray dvds? (1920x1080p) Hmm. Comical. Quick math - standard dvd = 345600 pixels (720x480) vs bluray dvd = 2073600 pixels (1920x1080). That's SIX times the pixels. And if you knew anything about pixels. Pixels = sharpness/quality/clarity. The more pixels the more detail. Period.

Your comparing a Wii game (480p) at the consoles best quality possible, to a ps3 game that isnt even starting to utilize the hardware (720p of a possible 1080p). The quality of the ps3's games in a year or so, will be up to 2.25 times better than it is right now.

If controller movement is next gen, then i guess ps3 tapped that keg. Sixaxis brought an idea and slowly introduced it to the market. Some say thats good, some say bad, who knows. I find it neat that i can smack a guy upside the head in CoD3 just by shaking my controller. I guess a new dvd format (hddvd + bluray) isnt considered 'next gen' to you. But to me, better picture quality and far superior sound quality is next gen to me. So i guess having a memory card reader and harddrive in your console so you can save your pictures to view on your 90" projector screen, isnt next gen? Wireless controllers with bluetooth 25 foot range, and rechargable batteries built in, isnt next gen? being able to 'add on' a high def dvd player, isnt next gen? quit being so closed minded. Wii = most intuitive system ever made, but thats as far as it takes it. It's a gamecube with a new style of controller. Oh yea, and to back that statement up more, about 80% of Wii's games right now, are remakes of others that dont even have all the functionality they used to (anyone read that game save issue?)

Maybe i'm biased because im not lazy, and am healthy. Pardon me but why do i play games? to get lost in a fantasy world, or to kick my friends butt in fightnight. If i wanted to bowl....i definately wouldnt think about turning on a game console...i'd probably say to my friends...lets go bowling. haha. sorry just seems funny.

No you don't 'get used to' HD quality. Go buy a sharp 52" LCD with 1080p, hook it up to a nice upconverting dvd player or bluray player, watch it for a month, and tell me you dont notice the good quality. Maybe your talking about how once you get used to it, it becomes a standard to you, and anything less is inferior...who knows.

Dont get me wrong, i dont have disinterest in the wii. If you read my post properly. I said it was the most intuitive thing ever in consoles. And how it will capture the whole 'casual' gamer market. But like i said, casual gamer markets do not make the industry, hardcore gamers do.

Oh and a note, my tv (52 sharp 1080p) does do all what you said (except the look good for analog, but what tv does?) Maybe you should pay more attention to the tv market if you play to use it in your argument, because your whole rant on HD and cable boxes....guess you've never heard of cablecard, or over the air HDTV (which is abundant in the states, but not much in canada yet) TV's do have decoders....get with the times.

I could go on, but why? Please don't take this as a flame or anything. I actually enjoy debating.

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I realize your post is no flame, I also appreciate the opportunity to debate.

I think part of the problem here is that you and I have different objectives for our game consoles. Personally I cannot afford any (large screen) HDTV anyways, but the ones in the price range I have looked at have never included all of the ports, inputs, etc I mentioned. I am actually glad to be wrong in this case, that there ARE some tv's available with all the functionality I would want. I appreciate you setting me straight there. However, I could not even afford the console to support that resolution anyways, so I'm WAY behind what I would need. :)

HOWEVER, I am deeply frustrated with the fact that lower-cost alternatives (let's say a 42" for example), never seem to have all of these ports. I will withold absolute judgement on that, because I have not gone to a professional store yet (not a big box store) and asked for this, so perhaps a good brand name tv in my price range might be available with most (or all) of these functions.

I am glad you mentioned two things. Lack of almost any over the air HDTV in Canada (therefore making those tv tuners useless as I understand it), and also the cable cards. I am unwilling to pay the very high premiums for current HDTV availability in Canada. I feel the prices should not be ANY higher, but I could live with a low price. Due to the cost of digital cable with the "packages" I would be forced to purchase, for now I am stuck on old analog and downloading the shows I want to watch on my PC. I find it totally unreasonable how much the prices have increased for TV broadcast in the past 5 years or so, and am waiting while holding my breath for the day when I can pay for streamed HDTV over the internet, while only paying for the channels I WANT, hopefully while finally avoiding the horrible Canadian content rules (horribly limiting our available content).

I have heard of this cable card technology, but I did not think it was available yet. My understanding of this technology, is that it should be able to receive HDTV input directly from my cable company's coax in my house, thereby removing the need for a cable box? If that is the case (not just referring to free over the air which is virtually non-existant for me), I am immensely happy they are coming out.

I do understand that if you did become accustomed to HiDef movies, tv, etc, than inferior resolution would be very noticeable and distracting. However, I feel that video games are CURRENTLY somewhat immune to that problem. The reason I feel that way is because of limitations on graphics technology. Just today I was watching a demo of a PS3 basketball game in a Best Buy (dont know what game sorry), and though it was obviously high def with really nice reflections off the court, etc, the characters still look quite cartoony and move around strangely to my eye. Until games are generally quite close to true to life rendered movies (like FF7 Advent Children or better for example), I doubt I would really miss the resolution alone, when moving back and forth between HD and non-HD consoles (unless we're talking something more drastic like an Atari vs PS3). WoW is the perfect example of this where the graphics are really far below a number of PC titles now, and yet a LOT of people play those high-end titles AND WoW, going back and forth and enjoying both.

From this perspective of graphics alone, I do not feel the difference is that significant. Although the other features such as media center capabilities, Blue-Ray/HDDVD drives, hard drives, etc do make xb350 and ps3 stand out quite a bit, I do not feel that they are next gen GAMING consoles, but rather trying to implement technology I'd rather see better executed by a full-function HTPC (none of which I would be fully happy with at this point).

I DO recognise that the concept is interesting. I DO want a practical living room HTPC with excellent gaming capabilities. I feel both of the consoles currently trying to do so, fall short in some areas of both. I think Nintendo has done a good job focusing on only one aspect, which is gaming, while I believe the other two are not doing quite as good a job with the gaming aspect alone. My opinion on this may be pre-mature, because there are not a large number of Wii titles yet. However, I guarantee I'd have an easier time inviting friends to my home to play Wii, than I would for PS3 or Xbox360. Of course with those systems your friends could watch HiDef movies instead, but I have a projector and PC set up for that with a 5.1 receiver. It's not hidef, but it will be, and I'm not in that much of a hurry. :)

AleroinBlack

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
Your opinion is far from being pre-mature on the fact that nintendo is focusing on gaming more than the other 2 consoles. You are absolutely corrent that Microsoft and Sony have deviated from the gaming, to absorb some other aspects of the gamers life. But, right from the get go, that has been their said intention, so i can't knock on them for doing that. Honestly, it's great marketing strategy. It attacks a wider base of consumers.

I agree with you on how bad i wanna see RPG's look as good as something like advent children did. (By the way, i'm the self proclaimed biggest FF7 fan ever to exist haha) Truthfully though, i believe some of the RPG's to come out, (or even action games like the new metal gear solid) will reach the realism we are both looking for. I do not for a second, think that Xbox will reach that level though. I belive their media is holding them back. Until they can use their HDDVD addon to play games, they will be held back from the ultra high resolutions needed to look THAT good. Nobody realizes just how much space high definition takes up.

I would like to combat one of your points. The whole WoW vs new games. WoW (which i do occasionally play, no level 60's though, i have a job a girlfriend and a life haha) is meant to look more cartoonish and fantasy world based. It's tough for people to visualize a fantasy world that looks like a current movie does. I think the developers are smart to keep the graphics in that state of frame.

Besides that. I think agree with almost all of your points. I'm kinda glad how this turned from what looked like a potential flame war, to an open discussion. It's too bad all forum users weren't as mature as you are.

I myself run 2 HTPC's. One hooked up to a 32" LCD and one to hitachi's new hi-def projector, and one hooked up to the 52" LCD. What part of Canada are you from? I'm in Sask. I used to work at a non big box store electronics place, so i've had the chance to attend trainings and everything from manufacturers to let me learn what i need to about tvs. It was a great 2 years of experience.

I must ran away from work now and attack this weekend. Hope to hear more from you. Take care.

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
I will be buying one, and most gamers like me that like consol RPG’s will be buying one too. I will of course be waiting till a game worthy of a purchase is released before doing this and most other people who like games like Final Fantasy and Metal Gear will too. The consumer is not stupid, just small percentages are and this is where most PS3’s have sold too currently.

Right now, and I am sure almost all of you will agree with me on this. The PS3 cannot offer me anything more than my 360 can, that is of course not to say that the tables will not turn in the future, as I am certain they will.

I figured ps3 might be doing well as an rpg platform, but if you look at all the up coming games the 360 seems to have a more promising line up of rpgs... and I mean come on, there hasn't been a good final fantasy since 7 & 8... all real ff fans know that... and I have no faith in the japanese to fix the franchise... for some reason they always seem to ruin good things... don't even get me started on sonic.

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I am not convinced that HDDVD or Blue-Ray media are really required to contain a Hi-Def capable game. I am far from an expert in these matters, but my understanding is that many of these games consume a great deal of space with great-looking pre-rendered trailers and videos as well as the game itself. I think that a hidef game could probably easily fit on a single DVD, because the DVD just contains the code to tell the video card to generate the images with x number of pixels etc, simply with lines of text code. I'm sure there is more code required to generate a hidef picture, but I doubt it's so significant that no HD games could fit on a DVD (except perhaps due to extra content like pre-rendered videos etc).

If I'm correct, these pre-rendered videos could even be stored on a seperate disk (dvd or hddvd) for optional use with any game if they are really wanted. Of course that would not be as convenient, but generally most companies will always try to cater to the lowest common denominator, rather than excluding some of their potential market.

I feel that WoW is probably intentionally cartoonish, but moreso to allow simpler pc's to play the game, and therefore generate more revenue. Think of movies like LotR or Chronicles of Narnia, which are both very realistic looking and extremely fantasy-geared. Regardless of the reason though, the point is the graphics are quite poor to some other standards, and yet people play it. I feel that the most popular and profitable video game ever developed, lends credence to the fact that hidef content is not a requirement to take a gaming crown. :) Otherwise, I believe Oblivion would be more successful than WoW.

Personally I have a self-built projector made of an overhead projector with a 15" LCD panel on top of it, with an audio-only receiver and 5.1 speaker set I got for christmas hooked up via optical audio output. This is used primarily for movie viewing, though I could see some wii games being fun on it where you don't have to stand up (due to my projector's design limitations, standing would put you in the field of projection).

My other tv is a 28" 5 year old CRT. I'd love to get a flat panel, but have not been able to put away the necessary money yet. One day!! :)

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I am not convinced that HDDVD or Blue-Ray media are really required to contain a Hi-Def capable game.

Its not the 360s games fit on a dvd +dl about 8gb space, granted these are 720p, 1080i games. non of the 360s games are on hd-dvd you only need the addon player for hd-dvd and that only for movies, the ps3 dont have to be either but sony kind of marketed there ps3 as a blu-ray player they can just drop it that would be admitting they lost the hd war.