Brand New Computer Internet Super slow.

Help please!

Last weekend i bought a brand new copoter from CompUSA - a 3000+ Athlon Hewitt Packard - with the Home edition of Windows XP. this is the first time I have used XP as our old computer had Windows Professional 2000. We were very excited to harve our own desktops an I and my wife set up admnnistrative accounts and we set up limited accounts for our three kids. we also set up our MSN accounts on all five identities - something I was suprised I had to do multible times. but we found our internet is supoer almost unuasable slowww. With it sometimes just not downloading pages. Non internet work such as games it s working great.

It was acting slow the very first time. My first two actions was to try to download the MSN new accelorator - to try to make it faster. but it did not work - I must have done something wrong because it never showed up in the system try and than I downoaded the newest updates from Windows.

We went through the msconfig for the start up menu and that helped some but it is still acting way to slow - no where near even 56 k - i timed it on the MSN site and I was going a blazzing 21 k.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

1) Did you turn on the XP firewall?
2) Did you run a windows update for critical updates?
3) Do you have a current up-to-date antivirus program with the latest
definitions?

If you answered "no" to any of the above, you may have a worm, trojan, virus
or spyware which could be causing your problem.

Tom